This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
Just switched to octopus from scottishpower, using a referral link from a family member, so should hopefully be able to go agile or tracker. We shall see. ScottishPower put the service charge up to 68p/day vs Octopus at 65p which tbh is already insanely high. Based on these costs my bill will be as much per month in summer as it was in winter 2 years ago!
48p standing on agile

It's maybe not that simple. Octopus Compare is showing that Agile has been cheaper for me so far this year, and that's without load shifting.

I switched to Agile from Tracker yesterday as I can easily shift my EV charging to midnight onwards, making the savings even larger.

Agile peak pricing has dropped to an average of maybe 25-30p per kWh lately, which really dampens the tariff's traditional drawback.

Quick question, did you do this online?

I have been trying to decide on switching from Go to Agile, when I played with some numbers it was slightly cheaper.
I am still tempted to try it.

Soldato
Quick question, did you do this online?

I have been trying to decide on switching from Go to Agile, when I played with some numbers it was slightly cheaper.
I am still tempted to try it.

Yes. Just stick Octopus Agile into Google and the first result will be the Agile product page. You can switch straight over from here (the switch is instant).

Soldato
I have beaten GO pricing since I joined agile last year, the last 60 days I have also bettered intelligent GO. It all depends on your willingness to manage it a bit. The last month or so has been crazy cheap but I expect it to fade a bit as the wind does.
I've been happy with Agile so far on the 2 weeks I've had it. Reasonably easy to game - we have bits of load during the day on most days so it's been easy to offset the evening oven usage. Very curious how this balances out over the year - hopefully the overnight prices stay low so we can keep using the portable air con in our sweatbox bedroom!

On Saturday our total cost for electricity was £0.07, including the £0.65 standing charge :D I'm lucky that my mileage is low/sporadic enough that I can often wait until the extremely low/negative pricing to charge the car.

Last edited:
Associate
Just out of interest, what are people paying? We have a three bed semi, gas c/h and pay £360/month electricity and £88 /month gas. We can't go on smart meters because they may interfere with the medical equipment my wife uses. (Yes wifi is not available in the same room or near it.)
6 bed, 18 cats (a few live outside), 2 adults

125pcm leccy

4 woodstoves and a wood fired cooking stove save on using the CH (gas) in the winter.

Gas - ~10 a week if that. Just hot water and cooking in summer months. We're on LPG as no mains here. Had the tank refilled to 80% (max due to expansion) in November it's reading 73% atm. Full tank refill is 4k with a 3000L tank.

18 cents (14p) per kwh between 6am-11pm
11 cents (9p) per kwh between 11pm and 6am

Caporegime
Was chilly last night and put an extra storage heater on... Woke up to £6.85 :rolleyes:

When it was warm over the weekend I wake up to 66p! - Doesn't help with poor quality windows which are being replaced in May

Soldato
doesnt the grid need to be load balanced? and also kept within frequency, thought that would require a lot more infrastructure to keep things from going pete tong and major transformers from blowing up (which take years to replace afaik).
Probably part of the reason there is a load of backlogged work due and some renewables have a wait time of over a decade to get connected.

Soldato
It's maybe not that simple. Octopus Compare is showing that Agile has been cheaper for me so far this year, and that's without load shifting.

I switched to Agile from Tracker yesterday as I can easily shift my EV charging to midnight onwards, making the savings even larger.

Agile peak pricing has dropped to an average of maybe 25-30p per kWh lately, which really dampens the tariff's traditional drawback.

Yep.

I came to same conclusion in February, I loaded up Octopus Compare, looked at my December readings, there was no load shifting, as I was on tracker, and every day except one single day was cheaper on Agile, Agile over the month was about £6 cheaper, the one day Tracker was cheaper I used my oven twice in 4-7pm "and" had my gaming PC playing a game, and even then kind of like the perfect storm for tracker to win it was about 2p cheaper lol.

I noticed many days because of the algorithm change on tracker, for 21 out of 24 hours a day Agile is cheaper, its only 4-7 pm. So in situations where you running stuff 24/7 Agile will be a clear winner, and even if its somthing jsut spread out over something like 6-8 hours a day, the 4-7pm will be made up by the other hours outside of that bracket.

I would say the people to stay away from Agile is those who work a standard 9-5 and have children, so the kids come home, they on games consoles etc. during those peak hours and for most of rest of day not much is getting used as parents are at work and kids are at school.

Soldato
I switched to Agile a couple of days ago so if anyone wants to blame someone for the recent significant upward trend in cost you know who to blame! ;)
I have seen a few panic posts on the net, but looking at the 365 days history, prices rapidly dropped, and we now seem to be getting a correction. Not good that over the last few days the behaviour is a bit less stable, but it looks like a temporary dip to me rather than the start of a upward trend.

I have seen a few panic posts on the net, but looking at the 365 days history, prices rapidly dropped, and we now seem to be getting a correction. Not good that over the last few days the behaviour is a bit less stable, but it looks like a temporary dip to me rather than the start of a upward trend.

Reacting to the spiking energy prices wholesale I guess.

I have a powerup tomorrow so will be smashing that hard! I just need to make it to 1pm tomorrow from my current 96% battery with minimal grid usage.

Soldato
We've gone from very windy and warm to less windy and colder. Prices are still substantially cheaper than SVR and it also comes off the back of 2 weeks of 0/Plunge pricing. Not surprised a few recent adoptees on the net are panicking. It happens everytime they join during a very cheap period.

Last edited:
Soldato
My arrears keep climbing.
I have lowered them a few times with grants now and I practically dont use anything in the house.
I'm in a 2 bed flat I don't run the water heater a lot, I dont use heating. I have one computer, never watch tv. Ive said this so many times in this thread in the past.

I don't understand my bills, i've tried to sort it out so many times. I've cleared the arrears before and then had a DD setup and reported readings every month and the numbers on EONS website never make sense. The bill amount never updates on time and then when it does it seems like it doesnt look like it fully takes into account he DD that was paid.

Again now I owe £500, I am paying almost £200 a month which clearly doesn't seem to be enough. Eon will probably want to setup a new DD to take into account the arrears and I just cant afford it.
I am sick of this every 6 months to a year of ending up in ******* arrears. I literally have had enough, I just cant deal with it.

Everyone I know lives in larger homes, with much higher usage who do not have these issues and their bills are not so high.

Back
Top Bottom