This man knows who stole my phone, can anyone help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Probably a name so they can put him through their intel systems for an address and PNC.

They have his name too (if I've been following this thread properly).

But even if they didn't have it still don't see what the delay is. If they saw a bunch of armed robbers running out of a bank they'd go after them, they wouldn't say "wait a minute, we need their names and check them through the PNC system first".

Why isn't the GPS location enough? Even if they don't arrest the guy and just get the phone back. The longer the wait, the more likely the phone will get sold on and they'll have to start again.

Associate
They have his name too (if I've been following this thread properly).

But even if they didn't have it still don't see what the delay is. If they saw a bunch of armed robbers running out of a bank they'd go after them, they wouldn't say "wait a minute, we need their names and check them through the PNC system first".

Why isn't the GPS location enough? Even if they don't arrest the guy and just get the phone back. The longer the wait, the more likely the phone will get sold on and they'll have to start again.

Because the difference between that and this is that the offence would be happening directly in front of them. Whereas in this case they're going off what OP is telling them. And the GPS location isn't enough because...if it's a block of flats, like OP said, what are they going to do?? Knock on every single door to see if the person that answers looks like the photo? And if no-one looks like that, then what? They're hardly going to go to the Inspector to get authority to section 18 every single property....inordinate amounts of paperwork for something that they might not even get an arrest out of.

Plus, they can't exactly just go "oy you, you look like the guy in the photo so i'm locking you up" on an assumption that it's the right guy.

Plus intel systems and PNC are there for a reason. What if this guy is known for having an infectious disease like hepatitis, he's known to be a biter, he's known to swallow a handful of pills every time he gets locked up...you can't just guess these things on the spot.

Imagine if the police barged into someones house without any paperwork (or legal authority for that matter), locked him up, he swallows a load of "blueys" as appears to be the trend with scallies recently, said prisoner dies in police custody, ends up all over the front page of the national rag and all officers involved lose theit job and end up in court...

It's simply not worth it for a phone. As much as I would like the OP to get his phone back and believe he damn well deserves it after reading this thread, there are just far far too many variables for the police to go stomping in.

Soldato
Because the difference between that and this is that the offence would be happening directly in front of them. Whereas in this case they're going off what OP is telling them. And the GPS location isn't enough because...if it's a block of flats, like OP said, what are they going to do?? Knock on every single door to see if the person that answers looks like the photo? And if no-one looks like that, then what? They're hardly going to go to the Inspector to get authority to section 18 every single property....inordinate amounts of paperwork for something that they might not even get an arrest out of.

Plus, they can't exactly just go "oy you, you look like the guy in the photo so i'm locking you up" on an assumption that it's the right guy.

Plus intel systems and PNC are there for a reason. What if this guy is known for having an infectious disease like hepatitis, he's known to be a biter, he's known to swallow a handful of pills every time he gets locked up...you can't just guess these things on the spot.

Imagine if the police barged into someones house without any paperwork (or legal authority for that matter), locked him up, he swallows a load of "blueys" as appears to be the trend with scallies recently, said prisoner dies in police custody, ends up all over the front page of the national rag and all officers involved lose theit job and end up in court...

It's simply not worth it for a phone. As much as I would like the OP to get his phone back and believe he damn well deserves it after reading this thread, there are just far far too many variables for the police to go stomping in.

Right, this is the same police that can stop and search people with only the slightest hint of suspicion? The same police that can pull people over and search their cars just because the driver is young and is driving a fairly decent car?

The police have tons of powers to investigate crimes. But become the victim of theft and suddenly they have to jump through hoops?

Your point about the flats, all they have to do is take the photo with them and knock on a couple of doors. I'm sure it won't take long to find someone who knows what number he lives at (not that we know he lives in flats anyway).

I hope I'm jumping the gun and it's being worked on now but your reply reminds of when system admin at my work get mad cause I fixed an issue for them. They don't like it when you show what they can do isn't that special or magical, sounds like the same thing here. We can't have non-police officers gathering brilliant evidence for them can we? :rolleyes:

All I'm concerned with (as should the police) is getting the phone back before it's sold on/destroyed. Screw 'building a case', they can do that later.

Soldato
Why haven't the police got him yet? OP has given them his photo, his number, his GPS location and his contacts. What else do they bloody need?

A joyrider smashed a car through the front garden wall of my last house, taking out a parked taxi (injuring a female passenger and shaking up the driver), the little oik got out and legged it. As it happens I went to school with him and he had a list of criminal activities as long as your arm. I gave the name and address of said **** to the police, told them where his mum lived and that it was likely he was going there first as he was running in that direction.

Guess what? Police had a nosy about, a recovery vehicle arrived and dragged the car off my front garden while the operator man-handled the steering wheel, doors and windows bare handed, before any kind of fingerprints or even many photos were taken.

Nothing came of it, my faith in the police died a little more. :/

Soldato
Not just a phone tho wasnt it? wasnt there an alleged burgulary.

But in what way does getting the phone back harm that investigation. In fact I'd say the quicker they find this guy and interview him the better, by delaying it you're just allowing him to build an alibi and get rid of any evidence against him.

Soldato
Unfortunately this will be given a low priority therefore the police may not attend tonight. Happened to me, got burgled and one of the things they took was my distinctive £800 Specialized mountain bike. Saw the guy cycling it around my area, phoned the cops and all they would do is say we'll tell the patrol cars to keep an eye out for it.

And to all those saying drive round and confront him, I was tempted to confront the guy on my bike but decided it wasn't worth the risk. When the Police finally caught the guy cycling it around, 3 months after it was stolen he was found carrying an 8" knife and was a known violent offender.

Associate
Right, this is the same police that can stop and search people with only the slightest hint of suspicion? The same police that can pull people over and search their cars just because the driver is young and is driving a fairly decent car?

The police have tons of powers to investigate crimes. But become the victim of theft and suddenly they have to jump through hoops?

Your point about the flats, all they have to do is take the photo with them and knock on a couple of doors. I'm sure it won't take long to find someone who knows what number he lives at (not that we know he lives in flats anyway).

I hope I'm jumping the gun and it's being worked on now but your reply reminds of when system admin at my work get mad cause I fixed an issue for them. They don't like it when you show what they can do isn't that special or magical, sounds like the same thing here. We can't have non-police officers gathering brilliant evidence for them can we? :rolleyes:

All I'm concerned with (as should the police) is getting the phone back before it's sold on/destroyed. Screw 'building a case', they can do that later.

I'm not saying the police are brilliant and always get it right. But unless you do the job you will never see how many legal loopholes they have to jump through and how careful they have to be about everything, especially the way the media pick up on things and report it like its breaking news! And I'm in no way getting mad, I just happen to be fan of exclamation marks and question marks!!

Associate
Unfortunately this will be given a low priority therefore the police may not attend tonight. Happened to me, got burgled and one of the things they took was my distinctive £800 Specialized mountain bike. Saw the guy cycling it around my area, phoned the cops and all they would do is say we'll tell the patrol cars to keep an eye out for it.

And to all those saying drive round and confront him, I was tempted to confront the guy on my bike but decided it wasn't worth the risk. When the Police finally caught the guy cycling it around, 3 months after it was stolen he was found carrying an 8" knife and was a known violent offender.

To go along with another post - the reason peeps do these things because there are little to no reprocussions.

One thing I dont like about the UK - criminals dont have the fear of doing things wrong. In the states you get beat if you rob and steal someones stuff.

dont want to get offtopic here -

I hope the OP and his friend (whom lost what 1500 pounds of camera gear also) gets their gear back.

Associate
I think we have all been played anyways, doesnt look like any more action tonight.

Unless of course the OP is watching a live feed of something he would rather keep to himself :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom