This man knows who stole my phone, can anyone help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I've missed something here.
Why can't you remotely turn on the GPS like I can with Samsung Dive?

Due to restrictions brought in in Android 2.3, no apps can toggle the GPS settings without root access. With Dive being part of the ROM, and the ROM being something Samsung control - they can grant dive root access, allowing it to do things that 3rd party apps cannot (unless the end user roots their device).

Soldato
OP
I've missed something here.
Why can't you remotely turn on the GPS like I can with Samsung Dive?

Where were you last night!?! :)

I wasn't aware of Dive till someone posted on here regards Samsung built in tracking. I've just logged into Dive and my phone is there (although not connected/switched on so can't do anything at the moment)... So if I try tracking with the Dive program it'll activate GPS etc even though it's not my sim card in the phone anymore? When it was mentioned I just assumed it would run into the same problem as Cerberus is having! Curses!

Gives me a bit more hope if he logs in again!

Soldato
Where were you last night!?! :)

I wasn't aware of Dive till someone posted on here regards Samsung built in tracking. I've just logged into Dive and my phone is there (although not connected/switched on so can't do anything at the moment)... So if I try tracking with the Dive program it'll activate GPS etc even though it's not my sim card in the phone anymore? When it was mentioned I just assumed it would run into the same problem as Cerberus is having! Curses!

Gives me a bit more hope if he logs in again!

So what will you do if you do get GPS, will you track them down on your own or get police involved, mind you they are hardly going to track your phone for you. Remember to film it all.

Soldato
OP
I might goto the location and try and get as much info as possible, ideally try and narrow it down to an exact address. Then call the police and let them deal with it! I'll bring a camera along if it happens! *cue stolen camera thread....

I'm thinking with a photo of one of the likely suspects and the number of the sim card currently in my phone and the ability to trigger it to make a noise even if on silent there might be enough evidence for them to enter and search for stolen property.... Not exactly sure how it works or how much evidence the police would need to go in.

Soldato
Sit in a car in the vicinity. If you see someone equally dodge exit a house then call or text the number. At least you'll know which house it is then (but remember it could be someone else's house).

Soldato
Then call the police and let them deal with it!

They won't deal with it unless you have some very solid evidence. I'm not 100% sure about this; but the police could go knocking on his door if the crime had just been committed, but since it's been a while now they'll probably have to put together the evidence then put it to a judge to get a warrant to enter.

I asked this earlier but didn't notice a response; cant you take a photo with the front facing camera? Or does the phone not have one or the app doesn't have this function?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You're supposed to be able to take a picture with the front facing camera but all I got was black when I tried.

I'd hope GPS coordinates leading to an address would be enough evidence! I don't see how they could justify not even turning up. It's not just a phone after all these people probably do the same to a few houses a week!

Soldato
If you can, use another phone with GPS and wifi, and install Wigle. Bike round or use a car (car is less accurate as it's faster and the phone is inside it) and pick up as many wifi networks as you can.

Hopefully you'll come across his.

Soldato
You're supposed to be able to take a picture with the front facing camera but all I got was black when I tried.

I'd hope GPS coordinates leading to an address would be enough evidence! I don't see how they could justify not even turning up. It's not just a phone after all these people probably do the same to a few houses a week!

GPS coordinates can be out by up to a dozen meters if indoors. Unless it's a completely detached house you'll need more than that.

IIRC there was a similar case a while back where they knocked down the wrong door due to inaccurate GPS coordinates. They didn't even pay for the innocent bloke's door because it was fully authorised by a judge.

What you can do is go to the vicinity, then try searching for the WiFi ID. If you can somehow get the WiFi password, you can find the external IP address, if you have the external IP address, the police could obtain a court order for their ISP to release their exact registered address.

Last edited:
Soldato
Upon reading this thread i've just installed cerberus on my S2. But to be able to turn GPS on remotely, you need to have rooted the device.

I've spent all morning looking into rooting mine, but not terribly confident, so won't.

Incidentally, OP, is email setup on your phone?
If so, and if the teaf checks it, then he'll see the emails sent from cerberus with his mate's ugly mug on. That might give the game away.

download exynos abuse, one click root :)

Soldato
He said he's changed all his passwords.
I can't see anywhere in cerberus that allows you to change your passwords on mail accounts on the phone. If he did that then that would surely alert the tealeaf.

cerberus password find   (to locate your device)
cerberus password siminfo   (to get SIM card info)
cerberus password lock code   (to lock your device with a password, replace *code* with the lock code you desire)
cerberus password unlock   (to unlock your device)
cerberus password alarm text   (to display a message and play a loud alarm, replace *text* with the message you want to be displayed)
cerberus password message text   (to display a message, replace *text* with the message you want to be displayed)
cerberus password speak text   (to make the device speak a message, replace *text* with the message you want to be spoken)
cerberus password call number   (to call a phone, replace *number* with the phone number you want to call, or don't write a number to make Cerberus call the sms sender)
cerberus password takepicture   (to take a picture and send it to your email address, the front camera will be used if available)
cerberus password capturevideo   (to capture a video and send it to your email address)
cerberus password screenshot   (to grab a screenshot and send it to your email address)
cerberus password wipe   (to wipe your device memory)
cerberus password wipesd   (to wipe the SD card)
cerberus password startemergency hours   (to make the device send its location periodically, replace *hours* with the number of hours from one alert to the next)
cerberus password stopemergency   (to stop emergency mode, the device will stop sending its location periodically)
cerberus password enabledata   (to enable data access on your device)
cerberus password enablewifi   (to enable WiFi and automatically connect to open networks)
cerberus password enableroaming   (to enable data roaming)
cerberus password reboot   (to reboot the device (works only on rooted devices))

The 2.99 EUR license for Cerberus, could that potentially be paid for IF the device was stolen or do you have to enter a code into the actual app rather than just the web-based area?

On the webapp there is a link to buy the licence before the trial expiry. When you do, as i did, it goes through paypal payment, then remotely activates the app on the device.
So, no you don't need the device to install the full licence.

For GPS to be enabled all you need is for the device to be connected to the internet. If it isn't then that's when you need it to be rooted, so you can send a remote command to enable the gps.

Soldato
GPS coordinates can be out by up to a dozen meters if indoors. Unless it's a completely detached house you'll need more than that.

IIRC there was a similar case a while back where they knocked down the wrong door due to inaccurate GPS coordinates. They didn't even pay for the innocent bloke's door because it was fully authorised by a judge.

What you can do is go to the vicinity, then try searching for the WiFi ID. If you can somehow get the WiFi password, you can find the external IP address, if you have the external IP address, the police could obtain a court order for their ISP to release their exact registered address.

Good plan. Narrow down the location with GPS if you can get it online again, and if your NIC can go into promiscuous mode then you can sniff packets to get a wifi password and then the IP address of the router. Then you're good.

Soldato
This thread prompted me to install Cerberus and pay the £2.67 for a License.

As my phone is rooted I have integrated it with my ROM and it allows automatic GPS switch on if it is turned off at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom