• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TIME FOR ANOTHER 6900 XT DEAL? I THINK SO! *PRE-ORDER SPECIAL* PLUS SOME OTHER AMD DEALS!

Associate
So, I picked up the RT6900XT card and I am struggling to get it working.

My machine is a new build, about 2 weeks old;

Mobo: MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WIFI DDR4
CPU: i7-12700KF
Old GPU: Asus GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: 1000w, 3 separate PCIE power cables

Installed card but got no display, post lights on Mobo say GPU issue.

I do get a display if the card is plugged into the next PCIE slot down but that is Gen3x4 slot. Changing the BIOS setting for the first slot from auto to Gen4 or 3 does not help, still get no display.

Flashing the Bios to the latest did not help.

Googling "mag z690 tomahawk 6900xt no display" got me a few hits from this year including one that joked that every result THEY were seeing was returned MSI Mobo for refund and bought an Asus instead.

I don't think it is the card at fault here at the moment but I am at a loss as to what to do next beyond sitting in a queue for support with MSI.

Any suggestions?

Associate
That is a relief to read. I have the exact same issue with my MSI MAG motherboard (slightly different version to you) and this card. It booted once, and since then hasn’t ever displayed a thing.

I fitted a 1300w power supply today to prove it wasn’t a PSU issue. I can’t fit the card into my second PCI slot - the card is too deep.

I also found the same thread as you. There appears to be a fundamental compatibility issue with this card and MSI motherboards.

Last edited:
Associate
So, I picked up the RT6900XT card and I am struggling to get it working.

My machine is a new build, about 2 weeks old;

Mobo: MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WIFI DDR4
CPU: i7-12700KF
Old GPU: Asus GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: 1000w, 3 separate PCIE power cables

Installed card but got no display, post lights on Mobo say GPU issue.

I do get a display if the card is plugged into the next PCIE slot down but that is Gen3x4 slot. Changing the BIOS setting for the first slot from auto to Gen4 or 3 does not help, still get no display.

Flashing the Bios to the latest did not help.

Googling "mag z690 tomahawk 6900xt no display" got me a few hits from this year including one that joked that every result THEY were seeing was returned MSI Mobo for refund and bought an Asus instead.

I don't think it is the card at fault here at the moment but I am at a loss as to what to do next beyond sitting in a queue for support with MSI.

Any suggestions?
Very odd. Had the same motherboard and CPU as you, and for a while the Red Devil 6900XT and worked fine. Returned the GPU as the coil whine was unbearable.
Only replaced the motherboard for the EDGE as I managed to get some good DDR5 at a fair price.
Between the change of motherboards I had an Asus Z690-F and the very, very, very slow boot put me off.
Very odd as the previous GPU works at the first PCI-E slot.
Very naive to suggest that, but try with every setting (BIOS) on default.

Associate
I installed mine on Friday into a MSI Z370 Pro Carbon AC with latest Resizable Bar beta BIOS and has worked flawlessly since. Also running Corsair RM850X with separate Pci-e cables.

Soldato
AMD 6500 XT sub £200 ! The card this forum slammed but we’ve sold thousands now as it’s actually a very capable 1080P card.

Best value though is the RX 6600 as it’s actually quite powerful !
1080p? Welcome to 2010 :cry: I know it is what it is etc. but if buyers are having to go below console quality it says a lot about the state of the market ;)

Soldato
The point being 1080p has been around forever. I've been on 1440p for about 12 years and I'm not an early adopter by any means. 1080p is a step backwards, something wrong if users are having to stay at 1080p to just be able to afford a GPU to run it.
There’s many things that have been around forever, that doesn’t make it bad, I’m sure you know. Perhaps someone doesn’t need more than 1080p, for example they have a 24” inch screen. They would be wasting money to go for something more powerful. It’s why we drive different cars, live in different houses etc. we just buy what we need.

Soldato
There’s many things that have been around forever, that doesn’t make it bad, I’m sure you know. Perhaps someone doesn’t need more than 1080p, for example they have a 24” inch screen. They would be wasting money to go for something more powerful. It’s why we drive different cars, live in different houses etc. we just buy what we need.
Not really the point on an enthusiast forum in a thread about a "cheap" high end GPU ;) Maybe an argument for a budget gaming PC thread. No-one want's the worst resolution but if prices are high that may be all they can afford. Prices are too high. GPU prices are holding the market back from adopting higher resolutions.

Associate
Not really the point on an enthusiast forum in a thread about a "cheap" high end GPU ;) Maybe an argument for a budget gaming PC thread. No-one want's the worst resolution but if prices are high that may be all they can afford. Prices are too high. GPU prices are holding the market back from adopting higher resolutions.
oled burn in is holding me back from going 4k :p

Associate
yeah ive seen with qd oled its less of an issue so i was more interested, also its an issue for me because i dont want widescreen gaming, mainly because lots of games i see always have people complaining about black bars or their res not being supported

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

yeah ive seen with qd oled its less of an issue so i was more interested, also its an issue for me because i dont want widescreen gaming, mainly because lots of games i see always have people complaining about black bars or their res not being supported
I personally wouldn’t go back to an ultrawide monitor for that reason. It can get annoying having to use fixes to get certain games to work, and some don’t work at all.

Soldato
We are a weird bunch so fully agree!

I love my ultra wide (and curved) monitor. The extra it gives you on the side is really useful, plus it adds to the immersion.

Soldato
oled burn in is holding me back from going 4k :p

TV panels come with OLED care tech to help combat burn in, proper OLED monitor would be better if you use it for desktop use. I think burn in is more likely if you had an office TV on with say sky news or one with a ticker on all day at the base of the screen. I hide the task bar on mine. OLED's can be terribly bright and you'll p[robabaly need to turn it right down to be comfortable, further negating any burn in. Used as a monitor, being up close - doubt you'll get any burn in. TV's have pixel cleaning and OLED care anyway.

42 inch LG C2 OLED on black friday was down to £699!

Or this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-4...-2.1-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-16h-lg.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom