Tinned corn beef

Soldato
Don't ask !!

I found a tin in cupboard in kitchen -It is in it's last use by date year so thought let's see what corned beef tastes like !!
Went on youtube and found loads of ways to cook it or eat it out of tin so picked easy one which was slice it and fry it in pan till brown. Now -Either I cooked it too long or not enough -Should I have put loads of chilli and other spices in it to mask the taste.
I had it with a few chips and omelet -loads of sweet chilli sauce helped a lot.

What did i do wrong other than open the tin?

With tinned corn beef I always break the seal when trying to use the key to open. So, when I do buy, I tend to buy sliced, albeit it's a rip off. Does tinned go off?

I always thought it was the type of food to buy when preparing for a nuclear holocaust.

Corned beef sarnies with tomato, it's one of my guilty lazy sandwiches.

@robfosters genuinely surprised.

Last edited:
I still have scars across three knuckles on my right hand from trying to open a tin of corned beef was I was like 8. Went right down to the bone, or it looked like it at the time. To this day I recall this whenever I open a tin and take extra care. I do love corned beef though, mainly in sarnies, or a slab of it with a baked potato and some piccalilli.

Corned beef and mashed potato pie is easy and tasty, I like to add chunky bits of onion. It works well as a dinner type meal, gravy and veg sans extra potato. Don't season it with salt as there's already a fair amount, white pepper is good though imo.

Last edited:
Only time I ever have it is cold sliced with salad cream in sandwiches and not that often. It generally doesn't taste great cooked.

My folks always liked it in a sandwich or in mash.

I spent years believing it was horse meat lol I think it’s nice but. Better than Spam :D

only way to 'cook' corned beef is use it in corned beef hash fried onions/garlic + mashed potatoe + cubed corned beef, fried as patties till golden.

^This.

I've never liked corned beef much, particularly cold in sandwiches, but a good corned beef hash is great.

I make it a bit differently as I keep the potatoes in small cubes after boiling rather than mashing them before frying (they do mush up in the pan anyway). Worcestershire sauce and plenty of fresh cracked black pepper are also essential ingredients, plus I tend to slip some carrot into the mix.

Back
Top Bottom