Tinned corn beef

I mentioned this very point to someone at work today and he said it could be to do with it is all imported from Argentina (not sure if that’s true) so there is shipping and transport, as opposed to local cattle. And there is the metal and packaging.

I believe it is all from Argentina.

IMO the best recipe for Corn beef is as mentioned above is Mashed potatoes, onions, and vegetables in a hash format works best,
The best Corn Beef is from the Deli counters as it tastes a lot better than from tins, however the it is more expensive.

Love corned beef and branston sandwiches, buy it sliced from the deli counter now though as the cans have gone quite expensive (not that the deli counter is cheaper it's just easier for a quick sandwich).

Also love Haslet and brown sauce sandwiches, simple tastes me :cool:

Corned beef slices are nice the tinned stuff not so much I have some every now and then as a change from the usual. The stuff I really can't stand is tinned Spam, nasty slimy stuff.

Fried spam is top tier

dD1gBkA.gif

Had corned beef for lunch, after seeing this thread :D

Chunk of baguette I bought yesterday (fairly recent discovery: stick it in the oven for 3 minutes and it crisps up like the day you bought it), with tomato, lettuce, jalapenos, mustard. Excellent it was!

Btw, get your tins from Home Bargains: about a quid cheaper than supermarkets.

Jesus I need some corned beef now.

Ice cold from the tin straight to a sarnie.
Hp sauce, sallad cream both good choices....
The fat has to be cold to add to the teeth biting through experience... :p

Here It's about 4 quid a tin now, which is ridiculous tbh, could buy some real meat ...

Gives me strong childhood memories of my dad making us dinner if mum wasn't about... Corned beef sarnies lol what a chef ..

Inspired i had a cornbeef sarnie for breakfast (and probably lunch too.)
I opened my last jar of UK heinz piccalilli too lol

Last edited:
Don't ask !!

I found a tin in cupboard in kitchen -It is in it's last use by date year so thought let's see what corned beef tastes like !!
Went on youtube and found loads of ways to cook it or eat it out of tin so picked easy one which was slice it and fry it in pan till brown. Now -Either I cooked it too long or not enough -Should I have put loads of chilli and other spices in it to mask the taste.
I had it with a few chips and omelet -loads of sweet chilli sauce helped a lot.

What did i do wrong other than open the tin?
corned beef stew is amazing as it breaks down really well and creates a beautiful stew.

Side point, I find corned beef weirdly expensive. You’d think being in a can, processed mashed beef that could be any part left over of the cow would mean it’s cheap but it is anything but. You can get a pack of fresh sausages (supermarket brand) for less.

Brisket beef is £8-12 a kilo. Putting it in a tin and importing it from Brazil isn't going to magically decrease the price.

I meant to post this other day actually, I got some "Princes" branded corned beef as it was on offer, and I made a big batch of corned beef hash, using two tins, the Princes one and a much cheaper "Ship" branded one.

I could tell absolutely no difference. Other than the paper label, even the can was identical.

I meant to post this other day actually, I got some "Princes" branded corned beef as it was on offer, and I made a big batch of corned beef hash, using two tins, the Princes one and a much cheaper "Ship" branded one.

I could tell absolutely no difference. Other than the paper label, even the can was identical.

Most stuff is made in a limited number of factories. Often a different brand is identical. Other times it outputs different "names" but identical packaging for sale in different regions at different prices.

Things don't cost what they cost to make, they cost what you're willing to pay.

Also the actual "food" cost of most products is going to be a relatively low % once you factor in shipping and delivery and packaging. Hence I can buy like 500g sliced corned beef for £4:80 at a supplier outlet store or 120g for £2.40 in a supermaket. Or 250g for £3.2 in that same supermarket if it has bigger packs in stock.

Back
Top Bottom