Tinned corn beef

We used to have it cooked as a quick filling substitute for a cornish pasty type thing instead and proper beef. It was yum!
That was my mum making it, not had it in 20+ years so might now be spurred on to try it myself!

I still have scars across three knuckles on my right hand from trying to open a tin of corned beef was I was like 8. Went right down to the bone, or it looked like it at the time. To this day I recall this whenever I open a tin and take extra care. I do love corned beef though, mainly in sarnies, or a slab of it with a baked potato and some piccalilli.
Yes i have a scar from a corned beef tin. Needed stiches. Those tins are lethal

Interesting - looks like you use more onion than potato?

About 50/50 onion and potato... Dunno why, less carbs I guess, lol

Butter is key though...gives it a nice velvety taste...

Corned beef hash, sort of...

1 tin corned beef (340g)
approx 400g potato, chopped according to preference
approx 400g onion, finely chopped
knob of butter
as much garlic as you want/ can be bothered to chop/peel.
splash of thai fish sauce (didn't have any worcester sauce)
Splash of soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Splash of oil for frying pan
sprinkle of mixed dried herbs 'herbs de provonce'

Part boil potato for about 9 mins
Whilst doing this add oil & onions to frying pan to soften
add garlic, butter, salt, pepper and sauces to pan, mix
drain potato and add to pan, mix
add all the corned beef to the pan, diced (put in fridge about an hour prior so its harder and easier to chop)
add herbs, mix

Might have over cooked the potato a bit, so it's basicaly turned into a sludge.

Very tasty sludge though....:D

nom.

Last edited:
@mattyfez

I do it similar but I chop the onion roughly the same size as the potato, about 1cm square or whatever, I gently fry the onion and potato in a pan but for a good 20 minutes or so, then transfer into and oven dish, add the corned beef at that stage and bake it reasonably low.

I usually shake over a dusting of mustard powder, like you use Worcester sauce, soy sauce and bit of white pepper.

Back
Top Bottom