Tinned corn beef

Sliced corn beef + sliced beetroot (NON CRINKLE!) sandwich is a game changer. You can feel your pulse in your eyeballs from the salt intake.

This thread has reminded me I've not had tinned corned beef since I was a kid and this must change
I think I maybe once had corned beef hash as an adult even though it seems to be a strong childhood memory of being quite regular. That's very wrong, it's so nice especially on a chilly autumn night.

Now one thing I haven't had since being a kid is spam. A bit of fried spam. Nom. Although it's got nothing on corned beef.

In America, corned beef is called Bully beef.
It has been called that in the UK since the 1700s, when it was a staple of Royal Navy rations and later Army rats. The Army only stopped using it for ratpacks in the early 2000s.

Usually it's best mixed in with some kind of potato (typically boiled) with a dash of brown or worcester sauce and then fried.
Cold is common, as a sandwich or something, but the accompanying fat content of some brands can make it taste rather icky.

that mortimer thing with Branston ..I know older peoples taste buds decline but nonetheless.

how it's meant to be
keep it simple .. forgot to show the obligatory brown sauce ..
corned beef hash (pots/onions/garlic/herbs/corned-beef) for dinner

48755691688_d185170df2_o_d.jpg

comfort food: corned beef mash with beans and a fried egg.
or a simple corned beef sandwich with a bit of tomato or branston pickle.

Last edited:
Bought a tin the other day for the first time in years.

It didn't taste how I remembered it, awful, won't be buying it again.
I was the same -seem to remember it from years ago but it didn't taste the same as my memory said.

I think I will stick to my cheap rump steaks.

Corn beef and brown sauce sandwich. School lunch on Tuesdays when it was curry day.

We use tinned to make corned beef hash, which is delicious, and one of my daughter's favourite meals.

We made the mistake of believing that this meant that we like corned beef. Apparently not. In every other format than mixed into hash it's bloody 'orrible. :D

Last edited:
Why is corned beef so expensive nowadays? I thought between that and spam they’re supposed to be the cheapest of the cheap faux-meats, they’re over £3.50 everywhere around here :confused:

Why is corned beef so expensive nowadays? I thought between that and spam they’re supposed to be the cheapest of the cheap faux-meats, they’re over £3.50 everywhere around here :confused:

That’s what I said!

Between that and a packet of sausages…I’d pick sausages. Actually you can get a packet of mince beef for more weight for less money.

That’s what I said!

Between that and a packet of sausages…I’d pick sausages. Actually you can get a packet of mince beef for more weight for less money.

Yea actually when you put it like that.

Probably because everyone is hoarding it in their loft or whatever because it basically doesn't go off, waiting for the world to go to ****.

Yea actually when you put it like that.

Probably because everyone is hoarding it in their loft or whatever because it basically doesn't go off, waiting for the world to go to ****.

I mentioned this very point to someone at work today and he said it could be to do with it is all imported from Argentina (not sure if that’s true) so there is shipping and transport, as opposed to local cattle. And there is the metal and packaging.

Back
Top Bottom