Tinnitus who suffers from it

Associate
i get constant ear infections, as one is clearing up i get another one. Been to hospital to a ENT etc etc and no one knows why, just got to live with it (im from South Africa.moved over when i was young from liverpool and never had it there, only here) and ever since i have the ring! Unsure if its because of the dampness here from a lot of rain or just i suck.

It bothers me but only at night in bed, i have to sleep with a fan on, usually have to take a fan with me on holiday/anywhere from home aswell as i can get to bed without some noise. I call it the travel fan and its the small one, at home i have the large standy uppy one that blasts any noise away. Have the fan on every night through the whole night, during winter aswell, right next to the radiator lol

high pitched whistle.

Soldato
Yes, I work in engineering, which can be a noisy environment. When I was an apprentice, there were no ear plugs required, although looking back, they should have been! Current job requires earplugs in all the time, however, I cannot hear the machine that I am working on, so find they are in and out all day.
It bothers me when stressed, and when someone points it out. Its a constant high pitched whistle which varies in loudness depending on mood.

Associate
It bothers me when stressed, and when someone points it out. Its a constant high pitched whistle which varies in loudness depending on mood.

I only heard mine when i read the post title, just before that point i couldnt hear it....it was there but you sorta tune out to it...guess its the same as you?>

Soldato
I had it for a short peiod over the easter break. I think staying up too late and getting very little sleep caused it. I went to bed at more normal times and it was gone in a few days.

Associate
I had it for a short peiod over the easter break. I think staying up too late and getting very little sleep caused it. I went to bed at more normal times and it was gone in a few days.

lol, thats not it.

No offense but if you said that to someone who had this quit loud, i dont think they will be very friendly. Its a life long condition that does not go away and can only get worse.

I have heard some horror stories about people who have had really bad cases, practically going mad in the head cause they cannot blank it out.

Associate
I've begun to be aware that I suffer from it too - I was a pro singer guitarist for 12 years when I was young and exposed to some pretty heavy noise from the amps I used so, I suspect that it may be ear damage sustained from that period.
I also had exceptionally accute hearing before that period but that was certainly reduced due to the damage from exposure to too much noise.

The sound I hear is very similar to the emitted high pitch of some older TV's if anyone knows what I mean!

I'm hard of hearing, wearing hearing aids, and it's a life-long problem for me. For me, it sounds like a tone generator, sine wave, thus pure tone, and it can be any note in my hearing rage. So one time it can be a high note, the next time below middle C. The duration is a few minutes, starting loud then getting quieter. Can happen a few times a day.

Associate
I've got it in my left ear.
Started about 5 years ago.
Doctor diagnosed the cause as an ear infection leading to a blocked eustachian tube and prescribed some antibiotics which had a very nasty side effect at the other end of my body which took weeks and weeks of pro-biotic yoghurt to restore the balance!
This put me off going back to the GP.
The noise is a high-pitched whine and I'm very used to it these days.
However, from time to time, I'll have a day where it's not there at all, which does reassure me that it's not a permanent, physical damage related noise.

Soldato
I seemed to develop a mild case of it last year around October. Was only in my right ear and the sound was almost like bird song. A constant whistling/chirping sound. Never stopped for a second, day or night. It seemed to get louder over time too. Got to the point it was stopping me sleeping at night. Thankfully it got quieter after a few months and then stopped all together. It did come back for a while not that long ago, but thankfully stopped again fairly quickly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays gone this time.

I can only imagine how stressful it must be for people who have to put up with it for years at a time.

Soldato
I really value my hearing, as music is a huge part of my life and to not be able to enjoy it would be terrible for me. I think I may have very slight tinnitus, as I can sometimes hear a faint whine when it's very quiet, such as when I'm trying to sleep, but I guess this is inevitable from hours and hours of listening to music and of course the line of work I am in is very damaging to hearing if you aren't sensible. I do try to be very careful.

Man of Honour
I do suffer from slight tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear. It comes and goes with no set pattern. I did spend and awful lot of time using headphones so maybe it’s down to that.

Soldato
Had it for about 15 years now and is pretty much a constant squealing noise,possible causes proberbly from techno night clubbing wanna be dj`ing and working as a fabricator with grinders hammers and all sorts of noisey fetling devices.
Then recently made worse by a double mastoid infection and 2 colesteanomas in the last 3 years with major surgery needed to clear up the infection over last 3 years,which has involved removing all bones in both my inner ears cleaning them up and being recontructed from cartlidge,and rebuild(skin grafted) ear drums,not a pleasent experiance i can tell you.
Non of which fixed the tinitus as im told its unrepairable, but the operation stuff was more to prevent meningitis and risk of brain damage :eek:
Im still prone to ear infections and blocked eustation tubes from time to time.
I can hear ok but low frequencys are hard to pick out depending how bad the tinitus is day by day and its almost impossible to sleep without background music at night.

Soldato
My great auntie (96) is convinced the water tank in her house rumbles all day and all night, but it's just her tinnitus. She's now convinced the tank is actually shaking the house which we think might be coming from her balance being affected be her ears. She's very deaf and without a hearing aid virtually all she hears is the tinnitus, but with the hearing aid she hears other day to day noises so the tinnitus isn't as prominent. Not that she believes any of this.

Soldato
How long have you had it for?
Dont know, quit long im only 29

What brought it on?
no idea, I think a little too much clubbing during my teen years.

Does it bother you anymore?
No not at all, I dont even notice it but I am never in a quite room, I always have the radio or TV on in the background.

And what sound do you hear?
High pitched hiss.

Funny thing is for about a year I thought it was getting worse as when I was going to bed it was quite noticeable, turned out it was my Nokia charger next to the bed lol :)

Back
Top Bottom