Tired of Panel Lottery, suggestions

Associate
As the title suggests I have been through three acer predator xb271hu's all had terrible bleed and now two Asus Pb278qr both with dead pixels. All I want is a decently responsive 1440P ips or pls panel, doesnt have to be gsync can even be 60hz, just cant have terrible glow or dead pixels.Any ideas I'm pretty fed up, two months trying get a suitable panel here. Thanks guys

Soldato
All ips monitors will suffer from bleed and glow unfortunately. You may get lucky and get one with a bit less, but it is inherent to this panel type. It's the exact reason I gave up on ips and went VA. I know that VA panels have other drawbacks, but for me they are far more tolerable.

My current Samsung VA panel has zero bleed, zero glow and zero dead pixels. That's a win for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
As noted the technology as it and manufacturing pumping them out with little consistency you will continue to find that it is a panel lottery. AFAIK most all types can have back light bleed due to how every panel as a backlight, I think that I'm right about that - OLED being an exception. All IPS will have glow. In my limited experience the wider the monitor the worse the perceived glow can be, as you are viewing more from your peripheral vision.
I have just taken delivery of my BenQ 3200U 4k 32" screen. It is an IPS type with an IPS (AVMA subset IIRC) type of panel. It has some bleed, minor, and due to its width and the distance I sit from it I can also see some glow, minor. As I have not bought it to watch movies of Space in a dark room I'm ok with it. That doesn't mean I like or want IPS glow (or bleed) but it is the price you have to accept for choosing that type. There are not dead pixels, which is pretty damn good considering how many there are...!

Give consideration to what has been posted about VA panels but take a read about your choices first. Some might suggest a TN panel, again they also have their own issues.

Of all the hardware I buy I really do not like having to buy a monitor. You definitely need to select a very cooperative retailer when setting anything about a mediocre / reasonable std when buying a monitor.

IIRC I remember watching a video of a company who bought twenty Asus monitors and tested them for glow and bleed......

https://imgur.com/a/jWO59

good luck

Soldato
Some of those are absolutely shocking :(

That last one in particular is just junk!

I play a lot of elite dangerous which being set in space shows up backlight bleed and glow. I just couldn't put up with many of those screens.

Soldato
Agree and that is twenty brand new monitors in a row. Can you imagine going through that lot one at a time from a dealer..?!

You make the very good point of selecting your panel type with your primary use in mind. For me it is more general use, with some photo work, and not many dark themed games. I do play (45 hours so far - just bought in the last sale) of No Man's Sky but even that is not primarily based in space.I like Cities Skylines and similar games.

VA panels have their place but you just need to understand that all have limitations, like you mention.

Those photos showing the issues of bleed and glow were taken at.....

Photos were taken at Iso 200, f/2.0, SS 1/2s

Soldato
There is no such thing as the perfect display. The closest thing to that is oled, which is not suited to desktop pc use.

So we need to carefully select the panel type most suited to our needs.

You wouldn't want a va panel if you were a pro gamer where the fastest response times are crucial.

For me, VA is the best choice. Backlight bleed and glow just make my toes curl :(

Soldato
You can get BLB with a VA panel, from what I have noted when you do, with their pretty damn good black levels, it isn't nice either. BLB is an issue of manufacturing per se and not about panel choices. IPS glow is common to IPS and its variant sub set of panels.

I have found the bigger (wider) the panel the more screen uniformity issues become apparent and also as the UW screens are more in your peripheral vision, maybe those with banana screens get around this bit, the colour drop off isn't good.
I did not like my letter box 21:9 LG screen for lack of height and also colour drop and glow in its corners,

If I'm sat close to my 32" 4k screen and decide to put a black screen on it, and make the room dark, then the IPS glow becomes apparent. If I move my head directly over each corner it goes.

Maybe the answer is a 6" shaped banana screen...?

Soldato
All the monitors I have seen with terrible backlight bleed have been ips. Including really expensive top end.

Only ever seen minor bleed on TN or VA. Talking decent models here, not el cheapo.

If you are trying to avoid backlight bleed, then forget about ips.

The only time I have had to send monitors back for exchange, was when I was buying ips. Never again, I just can't be bothered with the lottery of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I prefer Samsung as a brand to dell, so go for that.

The worst backlight bleed and glow I have ever seen were on a Dell ips I bought and sent back immediately.

The entire screen had a yellow tinge to it. Shocking quality.

Soldato
I personally believe that IPS glow combined with BLB makes the situation much worse. My TN panel screen, I have two left but they are old 1280x1040, have ZERO bleed - they seemed to build monitors ok then, and like a tank....!

The two worse monitors for me were from Viewsonic, I remember sending photos (taken appropriately to show the bleed and massive IPS glow as it appeared) to Viewsonic. I was on the phone with one of their senior managers at the time and he looked at the photos and tried to explain to me why what I saw was normal. I have not had a Viewsonic monitor since, I then changed over to a BenQ 27" 1440p.

My Dell 24" 1080p screen (IPS) was almost yellow, as the corners nearly met....!

Soldato
I think it is something to do with the sensitivity to pressure applied on ips panels. Which means that any panel that is less than perfectly fitted behind the bezel will show bright patches. This is why you especially see it in the corners of the screen where the panel is most likely to be clamped tightly by the bezel.

This makes manufacturing perfectly uniform screens very tricky with ips.

Manufacturers just aren't prepared to take this into account and improve their processes just for ips panels.

Soldato
I agree with your thoughts. On one IPS panel I made massive improvements by using the thin plastic scraper which comes with a glass phone screen. With that (a credit card was too thick) I slid it between the bezel and the panel. You could see the bleed and glow change in its intensity and position as it was slid in and moved across. I ended up cutting a strip and slid it into position, after marking that with some tape temporarily when testing it out. It virtually eliminated the leak from that particular section. You could not see the plastic as it was under the bezel, better still you could no longer see the bleed and the glow was minimised.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is very interesting indeed. Just shows that with an adjustment to manufacturing process, backlight bleed could be avoided.

But companies do not want to spend the extra money.

So for now, you either you play the ips wheel of fortune, or you buy a different panel type.

It's a shame as otherwise ips is probably the best all round LCD panel type.

Permabanned
Someone else with Pb278qr problems I see. A cluster of stuck pixels (about 30) have appeared in the middle of the screen on mine.

Really bad QC from ASUS. Would make me think twice about getting anything from them in future.

Permabanned
Yeh, I have heard a lot of bad things regarding Asus quality control on monitors. Even their top end ROG branded ones.

Hope you get a decent replacement.

Unfortunately I was a bit dim when buying it from the Amazon Marketplace. Got it from an Italian seller so has an Italian warranty.

ASUS UK won't touch it and said try ASUS Italy who won't touch it either as need an Italian address to be able to send a RMA and told me to try ASUS UK :(

You would think ASUS UK would make an exception, but wouldn't budge at all.

Soldato
Unfortunately I was a bit dim when buying it from the Amazon Marketplace. Got it from an Italian seller so has an Italian warranty.

ASUS UK won't touch it and said try ASUS Italy who won't touch it either as need an Italian address to be able to send a RMA and told me to try ASUS UK :(

You would think ASUS UK would make an exception, but wouldn't budge at all.

Ahh hell, that's a bit of a nightmare then :( No real way out of that one :(

And it's not like a patch of dead pixels like that is easily ignored, it would drive me mad.

Have you tried massaging the area gently with your fingertip?

Back
Top Bottom