Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Man of Honour
As I mentioned above, the Thai cave incident with the trapped kids had the same exposure, the same dilema of time running out/difficulty of being extracated etc and all the same depth of interest.. and the only billionaires in sight where those offering help.

And not forgetting that one in South America where they got dozens of mine workers out in a drilled shaft.

Soldato
"A frantic rush to save five wealthy people versus a shoulder shrug at the idea of 100 kids dead at the bottom of the sea"

Where's the 100 page thread of the Greek shipwreck? Can't find one.
hooman nature innit

Caporegime
"A frantic rush to save five wealthy people versus a shoulder shrug at the idea of 100 kids dead at the bottom of the sea"

Whatever sells papers man, that's all that matters.

Soldato

100 pages??

Soldato

Yes but I like the Titanic, submarines and a good mystery.

What's the interest in an overloaded ship sinking?

Soldato
When everyone rallied around to save those children stuck in the cave in Thailand that captured everyone in the same was as this sub, how many of those where billionaires?
What, the one that even Elon Musk (he's a billionaire, right?) jumped on and turned it into a PR stunt with his mini kid-sub rescue idea?
See, that was all about the children, who have a special place in our hearts... and in the profits of the numerous books and TV programmes that began less than a month afterward.

To be honest, this is the first I'm hearing about it. I remember 13 blokes trapped down a mine, and recall there was another similar incident around teh same time. After that, it seemed to happen a lot more, so the Thailand one never made my headlines.

Associate

Unfortunatley ships sinking are not rare this has never happened before (well not recently)

Soldato

Could families of Titan victims still sue despite liability waivers?​

It's believed that OceanGate made its passengers sign liability waivers before the submersible's voyage - but these might not shield it from legal action, experts have suggested.
CBS reporter David Pogue, who made the Titanic trip with the firm last year, said the waiver he signed mentioned death three times on the first page.
Sky News can't independently verify the terms of any waivers - but there may be reason for a judge to reject it if it isn't ironclad, according to lawyers.
Texas-based personal injury and maritime law expert Matthew D. Shaffer says if "aspects of the design or construction were kept from passengers" or if the vessel was knowingly operated despite being unsuitable for the dive, it could go against the validity of the document.
Ex-Secret Service agent and lawyer Timothy E Allen agrees.
He said "flaws or weaknesses" in the construction of submersibles can lead to "catastrophic failures".
If the cause of the implosion was "inherent defects in the mechanics or engineering, the responsible party may be held liable", Mr Allen explains.
On the other hand, OceanGate could argue that the waivers made clear the dangers involved in the deep-sea trek.
The degree of any possible negligence and the situation with the waivers depends on the cause of the catastrophe, which is still being probed.
None of the families have yet given any indication that they will take legal action. OceanGate did not immediately respond to request for comment.
From Sky

The families involved will certainly have the money to pursue a lawsuit

Back
Top Bottom