Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
I would not be hugely surprised if the seal material was a contributory factor. Initially full sealing and spreading the load from the end caps equally around the circumference. After several uses becomes hardened through multiple compressions, does not recover and provides unequal bearing and therefore load into the carbon fibre.

Something else for the experts to ponder when and if they try to find out what went wrong.

Soldato
You've seen the video where the controller stopped working correctly, and it was unable to operate the submersible, right?

The one on reddit? The issue was someone installing one of the propellers wrong way round, they would have the same issue with pretty much any other controls system. If anything having wireless controller made it probably easier to get used to the controls as he was able to rotate it to make it feel more natural.

Soldato
One of the ones posted on here, the pilot couldn't control the ship, the fault may have been an incorrectly installed thruster, not sure, watched so many.

Point is, it doesn’t install confidence having a cheap gamepad controlling a submersible via BT.
That was the thruster they installed backwards though and not the controller. They actually managed a bodge using the controller as far as I know the control system was fine.

Soldato
It disappointing to read through 3 pages of this thread from when I left it last night to see that it's full of people who haven't bothered to do the same and it's literally just pages of people repeating information that has been posted multiple times already so now I feel like I've wasted my time and gained no further information on this disaster :(
happens every large thread. even when folks have read it and are up to date they'll post an 'answer' to a question that's already been answered. it's just folk trying to look clever and to get those likes. of course there'll be those that aren't up to date but they'll be few and far between.

Associate
I would not be hugely surprised if the seal material was a contributory factor. Initially full sealing and spreading the load from the end caps equally around the circumference. After several uses becomes hardened through multiple compressions, does not recover and provides unequal bearing and therefore load into the carbon fibre.

Something else for the experts to ponder when and if they try to find out what went wrong.

The hull was made of carbon fibre and titanium, he was warned the carbon fibre would degrade, which is probably exactly want happened. By the time a sensor would have detected it, they would already be dead.

But I guess nobody will ever know for sure.... Unless they replicate the design and test it at some point.....

Last edited:
Soldato
( bbc video feek linked, on iplayer too - there aren't so many videos )

Seems certified sub/mrk's, on a UK expedition, hit the Titanic in 2019 (so we're persona non grata) - despite location of debris that's not precluded for Titan, carbon fibre can be fragile.

We did accidentally make contact with the Titanic once while we were near the starboard hull breach, a big piece of the hull that sticks out. Afterwards we observed a red rust stain on the side of the sub.

“But the submersible is covered in white fibreglass and is very delicate and expensive. While underwater it’s essentially weightless - it’s not a battering ram.”
https://www.eyos-expeditions.com/eyos-leads-first-dive-to-rms-titanic-in-14-years/ - doesn't say what ticket price was

Last edited:
Associate
I'm unsure why people are still focussing on the controller. Unless it caused the sub to hit something it seems likely to create the condition where the hull would spontaneously implode and I seriously doubt it would map the hull breach function to the square button.

Soldato
I'm unsure why people are still focussing on the controller. Unless it caused the sub to hit something it seems likely to create the condition where the hull would spontaneously implode and I seriously doubt it would map the hull breach function to the square button.
Of course not, dummy. That would've been R1, R2, L1, R2, Left, Down, Right Up, Left, Down, Right, Up

Bunch of amateurs on this site.

Suspended

Unless it was a Respawn button........

Soldato
It's a discussion thread, not an up to date news source.
I just want to see new discussion and be entertained
The controller was probably the most reliable part and people hated on that big time.
Yep basically everything that wasn't designed by Oceangate was more reliable, it would be funny if the controller survived (I know it won't because it was inside the sub and everything would have been destroyed), I guess the stuff on the outside though might be in decent shape

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom