Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato

A Mexican youtuber documented his entire journey, some interesting footage of more of the clown show on the Titan expedition (the 3/4 doesn't show much of the expedition stuff)

In 1/4 about 3/4 of the way through Stockton gives a tour of the naked sub detailing quite a lot of new information, definitely worth watching if you're interested in the build of it

2/4 they run into issues with securing the sub to the docking platform after their first test run to the Titanic, to quote the narrator "A procedure that should take 30 minutes is taking 4 hours" and when they secure it, one of the tanks to inflate the platform fails, you can't make this **** up lol

374GNFL.png

in 4/4 they finally dive, but they lose comms half way so start dropping the weights, but the weights don't work initially, they then drop 2 weights while only supposed to drop 1, then comms come back and they begin going back down, when they reach the bottom the lights outside start to fail so visibility is only a few metres, yet they still press on with going to the Titanic

Last edited:
Associate
The BBC travel show currently on iPlayer also has an episode called ‘Take Me To Titanic’ covering a Titan expedition in 2022. Worth a watch for those that are interested.

Man of Honour
Sadly I know this mentality too well "it isn't broken until its broken", "it'll be fine", etc. etc. never take any notice of the warning signs and still never take people seriously when they sound a note of caution even when they've been right many times in the past.

Soldato
Sadly I know this mentality too well "it isn't broken until its broken", "it'll be fine", etc. etc. never take any notice of the warning signs and still never take people seriously when they sound a note of caution even when they've been right many times in the past.

I know it's easy to be an expert in retrospect, but I really can't imagine who thought that using carbon fibre would be a good idea. Especially just gluing it to the titanium.

I have long complained that there is a large gulf between businessmen and engineers that can cause many of the problem with failed products. Musk is an example of the precise opposite, where the gulf has been eliminated between himself and his engineers. Stockton Rush had second rate engineers and didn't know he did, the end result is a disastrous product.

Soldato
Stockton Rush had second rate engineers and didn't know he did, the end result is a disastrous product.
I seem to have seen somewhere that they where aerospace engineers, so did not understand some of the nuances that come with engineering ocean vessels. A problem further exemplified by the CEO not hiring at least a single Naval architect to oversee the project.

Especially just gluing it to the titanium.
How would you attach carbon fibre to titanium? Just in general.

Soldato
I seem to have seen somewhere that they where aerospace engineers, so did not understand some of the nuances that come with engineering ocean vessels. A problem further exemplified by the CEO not hiring at least a single Naval architect to oversee the project.

How would you attach carbon fibre to titanium? Just in general.

My first stop would be the checkout flanges and bolts. It's old-fashioned, but it allows for different expansion in the materials and it's a known quantity. The problem with gluing them together is you are into unknown territory that needs a ton of testing.

Soldato
My first stop would be the checkout flanges and bolts. It's old-fashioned, but it allows for different expansion in the materials and it's a known quantity. The problem with gluing them together is you are into unknown territory that needs a ton of testing.
I don't think a bolted joint between Carbon Fibre and metals is a good idea for a structural joint. TBF i technically didn't specify.

Soldato
I don't think a bolted joint between Carbon Fibre and metals is a good idea for a structural joint. TBF i technically didn't specify.

In fairness, I wouldn't be happy with any joint until it was very well tested. So many things can go wrong. The important point is "it's a problem", which the engineers obviously didn't foresee, which is unforgiveable.

Soldato
jake ... the youtuber who takes bottles of titanic area sea water back to his followers

haven't seen any discussion on what they will/can salvage to try and understand the vessel failure - trade-off of reverence versus learning, maybe high res video surveys will give a stong hint.

background reading(!) - material seals etc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers. > The incredible engineering behind the submarine that plumbed the deepest depths

Don
Or they did and got the sack.
Yep, interview with him where he stated he didn’t want the pale, males in their 50s but wanted young, dynamic and diverse engineers.

Takes a lot of balls for a young Engineer to speak out against the company CEO if the thought something wasn’t right, even if they realised. Older engineers in their 50s tend to have the experience to be able to speak out as they’ll often be financially secure and not to have to worry about getting sacked so much.

Suspended

I said this ages ago too, I can spot these people a mile off. The best description I've seen is "used car salesman".

Back
Top Bottom