Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Ocean Gate should change their company name to Death's Door, spin up a few CF tubes, and sell them to people who want a painless death & cremation all in under 1 ms.

Just drop them in the ocean over the Mariana Trench for safety it wouldn't ever reach the ocean floor.

Reactions: B&W
Man of Honour
Those pieces are larger than I expected but then all that really imploded was the carbon fibre part that he was warned wouldn’t cope. Guess they were right.

Anything reasonably solid and not under any tension will be fine, it is the hollow parts (pressure differentials and all that), etc. which will catastrophically implode. Stuff like the wiring, etc. mostly won't disintegrate.

Last edited:
Soldato
So everything inside the pressurised capsule that was instantly depressurised is evaporated into molecules?

Or would there be parts say larger then a finger length?

Scott Manley did a live stream, he roughly worked out the energy involved but it was something like having 40 tonnes of TNT going off inside the sub.

He said the human brain can only process it's senses in about a quarter of a second if it's something your brain has not trained itself to anticipate.

He said the implosion would have taken milliseconds.

The analogy he used is they went from "biology to physics" in milliseconds, there were living one moment and cease to exist the next, they would have not known a thing, not experienced a "bang" or similar, they just went from biology to physics in an instant.

Crazy when you think about it.

Reactions: B&W
Soldato
Not bad really. Miles underwater and still managed to fish up everything that wasn't splinters or paste.

Should be interesting to see what failure the boffins can reverse engineer out of the damage to the surviving pieces.

Soldato
Window is gone by the looks of things

.. no obvious bits of carbon fibre ? - just the rear unpressurized cowling/framework , & (presumably titanium) annulus (front?rear?)

Caporegime
I’m curious how that would be missing if the composite hull had failed. The chances of both failing together would be low. I assume it was dislodged or just not clear from the images that it is actually missing.
I doubt it was made to stop water travelling several thousand meters per second (an assumption as I'm not about to calculate it) from the inside outward.

Soldato
I’m curious how that would be missing if the composite hull had failed. The chances of both failing together would be low. I assume it was dislodged or just not clear from the images that it is actually missing.
Yeah I imagine it would have shattered following an internal implosion equivalent to 40 tons of TNT - the entire thing happened so fast the entire weight of the ocean would have tried to go through it, which it clearly did, the titanium help up though..

Soldato
I doubt it was made to stop water travelling several thousand meters per second (an assumption as I'm not about to calculate it) from the inside outward.
I could only imagine a shock wave did it rather than the direct load from the water. As the load on the window would be reducing from max to zero very suddenly which could be the shock that caused it to dislodge or shatter.

Soldato
or, the window was what initially failed ... but the carbon fibre hull can't all have just disintegrated to nothing .. look how long it took them to diagnose the comets windows.

Soldato
I could only imagine a shock wave did it rather than the direct load from the water. As the load on the window would be reducing from max to zero very suddenly which could be the shock that caused it to dislodge or shatter.

The load would have been outward -> inward then suddenly reversed inward -> outward as the implosion rebounded.

The window plug is a giant cone that is only trying to resist pressure from one direction, I'll bet it got popped out of the nose cone like a cork when the pressure was reversed while the titanium nose had too much mass to accelerate with it.

Soldato
The load would have been outward -> inward then suddenly reversed inward -> outward as the implosion rebounded.

The window plug is a giant cone that is only trying to resist pressure from one direction, I'll bet it got popped out of the nose cone like a cork when the pressure was reversed while the titanium nose had too much mass to accelerate with it.
I’m not sure it would have gone outward on the load as the pressure just equalises. It isn’t greater on the inside compared to the outside after the implosion.

Back
Top Bottom