Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Interesting.

I don't quite agree with his interpretation.

If the hole was at the front, the backward travelling pressure wave would cause the rear dome to pop off, but it wouldn't cause the debris that has been pushed backwards in to the dome. The only way that debris can get there is if prior to it being pushed backwards, the pressure vessel collapsed. In other words it collapsed in the middle then the fragmented carbon fibre was pushed forwards and backwards in to the domes. The rear dome was strong enough to take the impact, just, and only popped off. The front on the other hand blew outwards at speed and the fragmented carbon fibre and the ring were lost. This makes sense when you consider that the front dome was removable and was not particulaly well attached to the vessel (the theory being that pressure holds it in place..which of course is correct unless the vehicle implodes).

He explained what a middle collapse would do, and teh debris doesnt support the theory ;
(from time stamp) , there also are some quite professional commentors who add to the explanation as well in the comments

He explained what a middle collapse would do, and teh debris doesnt support the theory ;
(from time stamp) , there also are some quite professional commentors who add to the explanation as well in the comments
Well, as explained, I disagree with him. Something caused the collapse of the carbon fibre and I don't think his explanation says what. To me, it's clearer that a complete disintegration like that would be caused if the carbon fibre was the first thing to fail. If the structural integrity of the carbon fibre was not compromised to start, I would have expected some larger pieces towards the front of the vessel to be intact and to be just sitting on the floor of the ocean.
I do agree, though, that the ring is a major source of worry, but I am not convinced that's what failed. Whoever thought it was a good idea to glue it to the carbon fibre was just insane. I watched them do that at the time, and there was no provision for removing bubbles from the glue. And on that subject, I would never be happy with carbon fibre for the same reason. Although, clearly, there have been tests with it, I am not at all convinced it would last. Perhaps it if was protected by an outer coating of metal, it would, but not directly in contact with the water. It needs something to stop the ingress of water in to micro-bubbles. It would be like a creeping crack through the carbon fibre.

Last edited:
Well whatever happened the force of the implosion clearly pushed the debris inwards and towards the rear of the vessal and you can see the primary debris field is forwards from the rear dome fanning outwards as the debris hit the rear dome the force continued and pushed the remaining pieces onwards onto the ocean floor. So clearly a backward momentum theres almost nothing in the front and around the front dome its all at the rear and beyond. Whats also missing is any signs of any human remains they either picked them up beforehand or they were simply atomised

Well whatever happened the force of the implosion clearly pushed the debris inwards and towards the rear of the vessal and you can see the primary debris field is forwards from the rear dome fanning outwards as the debris hit the rear dome the force continued and pushed the remaining pieces onwards onto the ocean floor. So clearly a backward momentum theres almost nothing in the front and around the front dome its all at the rear and beyond. Whats also missing is any signs of any human remains they either picked them up beforehand or they were simply atomised

Well, no, because it's not that simple. In an implosion, there is an initial failure and then a big pressure wave. Then the air heats up and usually ignites, creating a violent explosion. But that doesn't fit with what we see. The back titanium cap seems to be stuffed with hull, which says to me that the hull disntegrated before the explosion. Otherwise the explosion would have pushed it out, not in to the cap there. So, I still maintain that I think the carbon hull failed and collapsed, but the front cap just fell off and the carbon fibre blown that was was dispersed. The cap at the back, though, was stronger so it stayed largely together.

I mean, certainly the front seal was poor and I could see it going there, but that, to me, doesn't explain how half the hull ended up in the end cap. And, also, I would have expected the hull to survive in larger pieces had it not been the source of the failure.

Last edited:
didn't understand ? isn't the conjecture exclusively by the owner of the video - with some reference to those many finite element simulations ..
or were there some comments by watchers of video you thought were pertinent - have the investigation committee experts given their verdict ?

not sure how he is precluding collapse in the middle the relative inertia of the various component when it collapsed may still have moved pieces to unexpected locations,
he seemed to think window blowing out was significant to rule that out, but maybe collapse just stsrted on opposite side of cylinder

didn't understand ? isn't the conjecture exclusively by the owner of the video - with some reference to those many finite element simulations ..
or were there some comments by watchers of video you thought were pertinent - have the investigation committee experts given their verdict ?

not sure how he is precluding collapse in the middle the relative inertia of the various component when it collapsed may still have moved pieces to unexpected locations,
he seemed to think window blowing out was significant to rule that out, but maybe collapse just stsrted on opposite side of cylinder

I don't know whether we will ever know what happened, so everything is a bit of a guess, but I do agree that the video leaves many questions.

Personally, I don't see how the carbon fibre could completely disintegrate unless it was the first thing to go. It is very possible that it went around the door seal, but I don't think it was the seal that failed, rather that the end-cap and seal didn't strengthen the end of the cylinder against compression from the sides. I mean if you look at the video of them gluing it together, there is almost no support.

But, anyway, there is no doubt the MD was a fool. I remember one of his comments about the cycle life of the product - it's indefinite. Anyone who things that carbon fibre and glue will survive these sorts of pressures forever is nuts. I mean this is two tons per square inch.

Just watching David Lochridge live testimony o m g, damning stuff, Stockton sounded like a lunatic and was going sooner or later going to get himself and others killed. Does anyone know if Tony Nissen now liable on the fall out of this tragedy as he was Director of Engineering for Titan?

I didnt know too much of the details but some of the stuff David was presenting is beyond shocking. I knew it was bad but was it was beyond anything i could imagine.

Does anyone know what happened when Oceangate was trying to sue David separately? How did that pan out?

Last edited:
Well, as explained, I disagree with him. Something caused the collapse of the carbon fibre and I don't think his explanation says what. To me, it's clearer that a complete disintegration like that would be caused if the carbon fibre was the first thing to fail. If the structural integrity of the carbon fibre was not compromised to start, I would have expected some larger pieces towards the front of the vessel to be intact and to be just sitting on the floor of the ocean.
I do agree, though, that the ring is a major source of worry, but I am not convinced that's what failed. Whoever thought it was a good idea to glue it to the carbon fibre was just insane. I watched them do that at the time, and there was no provision for removing bubbles from the glue. And on that subject, I would never be happy with carbon fibre for the same reason. Although, clearly, there have been tests with it, I am not at all convinced it would last. Perhaps it if was protected by an outer coating of metal, it would, but not directly in contact with the water. It needs something to stop the ingress of water in to micro-bubbles. It would be like a creeping crack through the carbon fibre.
Scott Manley is smarter than you.

Scott Manley is smarter than you.

Scott Manley can be as smart as he likes, but the likelihood of him explaining what we don't know happened as being 100% true vs me saying it was oranges what done it is not worth the brainpower thinking about. And we know 99.999 recurring. It imploded. The rest is conjecture.

Fly safe.

You too :)

No-one knows what happened and what did happened in an instant. Deep down in a place that we know less about than some of the outer reaches of space.

Anyone that even submits a theory is talking ****. I'm sure there's money in it.

If you send me £5 I'll tell you about another fruit that I think might have had an influence on what happened.

Have we considered that an elder god is what done it?
Not the worst theory I’ve heard.

I’m still going with “rich egotist decided to let folks who weren’t considered the go-to people on extreme depth capable submarine design build one using questionable materials and the result predictably went pop/splat” as my theory.

Not the worst theory I’ve heard.

I’m still going with “rich egotist decided to let folks who weren’t considered the go-to people on extreme depth capable submarine design build one using questionable materials and the result predictably went pop/splat” as my theory.

Cthulhu is unimpressed with your theory.

Just watching David Lochridge live testimony o m g, damning stuff, Stockton sounded like a lunatic and was going sooner or later going to get himself and others killed. Does anyone know if Tony Nissen now liable on the fall out of this tragedy as he was Director of Engineering for Titan?

I didnt know too much of the details but some of the stuff David was presenting is beyond shocking. I knew it was bad but was it was beyond anything i could imagine.

Does anyone know what happened when Oceangate was trying to sue David separately? How did that pan out?
did none of these people report him to anywhere for unsafe practices?

Back
Top Bottom