Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Man of Honour
So let's get this right.

These people were sent down in a sub which looks to be made by one of those overconfident and extremely dangerous idiots, it has no certification whatsoever, is controlled by a £5 gaming controller, is so primitive it literally has zero internal systems, has "70-96 hours of air" (which I will put £100 on being absolute tosh), launched from a vessel which has zero recovery capabilities and no communication methods. Going by the video posted earlier the entire vessel is a stainless tube with all manner of crap literally just bolted to it, and now the people in it have no hope apart from the various external agencies helping.

To be clear, I know that type of person extremely well and I can spot them a mile away. This man has likely been told many times that his sub is a pile of crap, has ignored all advice and carried on anyway because he knows best and is well aware that out at sea he's not governed by law. His contraption will be built using all manner of things that are either unsuited for this work or only barely scrape by. It's a miracle that his first dive was successful.

My prediction is he's going to be held responsible for this and the investigation will reveal what an absolute idiot he is and that he ignored many, many signs along the way and did it anyway. His whole setup is an amateur hobby grade dumpster fire of a company. Mark my words.
Wont matter much if they do hold him responsible, as he is one of the people in the sub, so theres a chance that he is already dead/will die along with the others who took the trip.

Man of Honour
What I'm surprised by perhaps even more is that someone intelligent enough to aquire billions of dollars has gone along with it all. Im honestly shocked at the complete lack of any back out plan.

I'm all for exploring and pushing the limits but this whole thing seems to have been incredibly badly planned.
They also took their son down with them :(

Man of Honour
So let's get this right.

These people were sent down in a sub which looks to be made by one of those overconfident and extremely dangerous idiots, it has no certification whatsoever, is controlled by a £5 gaming controller, is so primitive it literally has zero internal systems, has "70-96 hours of air" (which I will put £100 on being absolute tosh), launched from a vessel which has zero recovery capabilities and no communication methods. Going by the video posted earlier the entire vessel is a stainless tube with all manner of crap literally just bolted to it, and now the people in it have no hope apart from the various external agencies helping.

To be clear, I know that type of person extremely well and I can spot them a mile away. This man has likely been told many times that his sub is a pile of crap, has ignored all advice and carried on anyway because he knows best and is well aware that out at sea he's not governed by law. His contraption will be built using all manner of things that are either unsuited for this work or only barely scrape by. It's a miracle that his first dive was successful.

My prediction is he's going to be held responsible for this and the investigation will reveal what an absolute idiot he is and that he ignored many, many signs along the way and did it anyway. His whole setup is an amateur hobby grade dumpster fire of a company. Mark my words.

Careful. People still think this is good enough. I mean the number of times the waiver is reported to say ‘death’…

Commissario
Have they said there's no chance it surfaced? Are they treating the search solely as if it is still submerged?
I believe they've been using coastguard rescue aircraft and anti sub aircraft to do searches on the surface, as well as help from other ships in the area and presumably any satellite imaging that is available (probably not much given the location)/

I'd have hoped that they'd have had at least a couple of independent RF transponders fitted to the hull that can ping if it's on the surface.

Soldato
OP
I was wondering what size it would have been crushed down to if it has imploded - though not sure it would react like I'm imagining, but the pressures down there are staggering

A car crusher exerts about 2000 psi, at the depth of the Titanic it's 6000 psi :eek:

Some grisly reading here on the effects of a submarine getting crushed

The only thing that article doesn't mention is a slow leak. This would allow the pressure to increase inside the vessel as the leak slowly filled the vessel with water. It would also simultaneously reduce the buoyancy potential of the vessel. At the equivalent of 60ish metres internal pressure, 21% oxygen in air becomes toxic so the crew would start to convulse and die that way. Then the vessel continues to fill slowly and sinks to the bottom in one piece.

Caporegime
The only thing that article doesn't mention is a slow leak. This would allow the pressure to increase inside the vessel as the leak slowly filled the vessel with water. It would also simultaneously reduce the buoyancy potential of the vessel. At the equivalent of 60ish metres internal pressure, 21% oxygen in air becomes toxic so the crew would start to convulse and die that way. Then the vessel continues to fill slowly and sinks to the bottom in one piece.

Any kind of weakness in that depth would create an immediate implosion. There is no such a thing as slow leak under such pressure.

Soldato
So let's get this right.

They call these people entrepreneurs.

Soldato
OP
Any kind of weakness in that depth would create an immediate implosion. There is no such a thing as slow leak under such pressure.

Maybe. The vessel is quite small, and made of carbon fibre I believe, not metal? It could be possible for it to fail in a way that doesn't immediately implode it. Even if it only takes a few minutes to fill, you'd know it was coming.

Soldato
Watching Roger Mallinson talking about his Pisces III experience shows how unlikely it is they will rescue these people. It took 84 hours to get them up and they sank straight down 1575ft from the ship while docking so they knew exactly where they were.

Associate
Yeah there's no chnave these poor buggers are alive, even if by some miracle they did surface they wouldn't be found. I read there's no GPS, crazy in this day and age.

GPS would be useless - the satellite signals wouldn't reach underwater and there's no way for it to transmit the location to anything else either. That's unless it can actually get to the surface but by that point there's probably better ways to get yourself noticed.

Soldato
What I'm surprised by perhaps even more is that someone intelligent enough to aquire billions of dollars has gone along with it all. Im honestly shocked at the complete lack of any back out plan.

I'm all for exploring and pushing the limits but this whole thing seems to have been incredibly badly planned.
Not sure what backout plan people are expecting, rescue at these depths is all but impossible.

Soldato
Only window is where the toilet is

miserable place to be in

Not if they paid me £200k would I get into that toy and go to the bottom of the ocean.

No instruments and a games controller to navigate! :confused: More money than sense!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom