Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Man of Honour
Are they searching for it or do they know where it is but are unable to get to it?
I think there are only like 3 or 4 manned subs in the world capable of going down to those depths and I'm not sure if any of those can be deployed to the area within the next 2 and a half days before their air runs out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Prof Alistair Greig from University College London is an expert on submarines. He has worked through a number of scenarios for where the missing submersible might be.

One is that it released a “drop weight” after an emergency, in order to bring it to the surface.

“If there was a power failure and or communication failure, this might have happened, and the submersible would then be bobbing about on the surface waiting to be found."

Another scenario, he says, is that the hull was compromised resulting in a leak. “Then the prognosis is not good.”

If it has gone down to the seabed and can’t get back up under its own power, the options - according to Prof Greig - are very limited.

“While the submersible might still be intact, if it is deeper than more than 200m (656ft) there are very few vessels that can get that deep, and certainly not divers.

“The vehicles designed for navy submarine rescue certainly can’t get down to anywhere near the depth of the Titanic.

"And even if they could, I very much doubt that they could attach to the hatch of the tourist submersible.”

From BBC

Soldato
I would imagine the US Navy has some sort of rapidly deployable deep sea retrievable unit incase one of their subs goes down, they will have experts in this type of thing.

Edit: I'm actually not sure they have one that goes deep enough to be fair, and the missing vessel weighs 10,000kg. Wow.

Last edited:
Associate
I would imagine the US Navy has some sort of rapidly deployable deep sea retrievable unit incase one of their subs goes down, they will have experts in this type of thing.

Edit: I'm actually not sure they have one that goes deep enough to be fair, and the missing vessel weighs 10,000kg. Wow.

It may not have the right sort of adapter to connect onto it either - this isn't Hunt for Red October unfortunately. If anyone can help though, it's them.

Soldato

At the depth of the Titanic (12,500ft+) no Navies submarine "rescue" submersibles will go down that far sadly as they max out at about 5,000ft deep, so it's far too deep. Anything deeper is pointless for a sub rescue as they are way past Sub crush depth. For things as deep as Titanic they'll use recovery submersibles/ROV's instead to collect evidence/wreckage etc rather than for rescue.

Soldato
Are they searching for it or do they know where it is but are unable to get to it?

It sounds like they have no idea where it is, only that they lost contact an hour and a half into the dive. Which makes me think it didn't even make it down to the wreckage. It'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack with the lights off.

Where the wreckage is, light only penetrates about 25%, so that's 75% in complete darkness.

Associate
It sounds like they have no idea where it is, only that they lost contact an hour and a half into the dive. Which makes me think it didn't even make it down to the wreckage. It'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack with the lights off.

Where the wreckage is, light only penetrates about 25%, so that's 75% in complete darkness.

Add in the Ocean currents and it could pretty much be anywhere. They didn't find the wreckage originally untill they were pretty much on top of it.

Caporegime
Another sad part of this is that researchers were piggybacking off of these trips to keep some regular view on the wreck before it's completely devoured, guess they'll have to settle with drones.

Back
Top Bottom