Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

No way for trackers to work. there is no GPS and no radio communication underwater.

There absolutely is communication underwater - you just need to use a very low frequency. Aircraft flight data recorders ping their location out for 30 days, no reason this wouldn't work for a sub.

Disclaimer - I'm not in any way an expect in naval stuff.

There absolutely is communication underwater - you just need to use a very low frequency. Aircraft flight data recorders ping their location out for 30 days, no reason this wouldn't work for a sub.

the VLF under water radios have a engage of 30-50m AFAIK.

The longer range communication is audio, using pressure waves. But it is not that far , and you need a receiver in the water.

And none of that matters when there is no system for localization. At best you could transmit depth using some specialized audio communication channel to nearby beacons that could re-transmit

I think people who to Auschwitz are weird too.

I’ve been. Some people who go there are weird. i think mainly because they go there like it’s something to do. To tick off their to do list and to be able say they’ve been.

most people I saw there get it, even if they just went there Not realising they would. Some people just don‘t.

I really don’t think it’s comparable to the titanic.

I’ve been. Some people who go there are weird. i think mainly because they go there like it’s something to do. To tick off their to do list and to be able say they’ve been.

most people I saw there get it, even if they just went there Not realising they would. Some people just don‘t.

I really don’t think it’s comparable to the titanic.

Deliberate genocide vs accidental sinking. Yup, defo different!

does make you think what went wrong, either an electrical problem meaning the sub is going to get very cold and dark, the people inside will either run out of air or freeze to death, or the subs integrity has failed, meaning the people in the sub would have been crushed by mega pressure. imagine putting that cause of death on your death certificate .

Last edited:
does make you think what went wrong, either an electrical problem meaning the sub is going to get very cold and dark, the people inside will either run out of air or freeze to death, or the subs integrity has failed, meaning the people in the sub would have been crushed by mega pressure. imagine putting that cause of death on your death certificate .

A real pressing situation.

the VLF under water radios have a engage of 30-50m AFAIK.

The longer range communication is audio, using pressure waves. But it is not that far , and you need a receiver in the water.

And none of that matters when there is no system for localization. At best you could transmit depth using some specialized audio communication channel to nearby beacons that could re-transmit
Done some basic googling, and the range of FDR pingers is about 5km at best I think, so you'd have to be almost on top of it to locate something, but it has to be better than having nothing at all. It may have something like that, and I'm actually just talking uneducated ********...

From what I recall hearing about the search for MH370 flight, you still have to pretty much be on top of the beacon in order to pick it up, unfortunately the tech isn't there yet that you can just drop a device in the water and get location accuracy within meters.

Nearly 4000 meters of tether on a ship? Is that feasible?

It'd be the thickness of the cable that would be the issue, as it would need to be able to pull along something that probably has a similar weight of a bus, at a depth of 4Km.

Our gents operate rovs on a regular basis that can hit those depths.
They're fully tethered.

What's the weight of a ROV - a lot less.

From what I recall hearing about the search for MH370 flight, you still have to pretty much be on top of the beacon in order to pick it up, unfortunately the tech isn't there yet that you can just drop a device in the water and get location accuracy within meters.

It'd be the thickness of the cable that would be the issue, as it would need to be able to pull along something that probably has a similar weight of a bus, at a depth of 4Km.

What's the weight of a ROV - a lot less.

Working class rovs are typically in the 5000 to 10000kg ranges.
Ploughs and trenchers can be in the high tens of tons.

meaning the people in the sub would have been crushed by mega pressure. imagine putting that cause of death on your death certificate .
Surely better than Byford Dolphin crew

The blood of the three divers left intact inside the chambers likely boiled instantly, stopping their circulation.[3]: 101  The fourth diver was dismembered and mutilated by the blast forcing him out through the partially blocked doorway and would have died instantly.

Back
Top Bottom