Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Did you even know this existed? I didn't.

Terrible though it is, can't expect routine visits to 4,000 metres under water not to end in tragedy at some point.

Should never be allowed.

Tragic yes, not allowed? Don't be silly. Would you ban climbing Everest or similar peaks? Would you ban the Isle of Man TT? If people want to risk their lives that is on them. We all have a choice.

Commissario
Just heard this on the wireless and had to go away and read up on it, they've been out of contact for what, eight hours now? Surely this isn't going to end well :(
IIRC it's the same one the BBC did a documentary on a few months back, they've had issues in the past with buoyancy systems etc and I think it's designed so that one of the weights dissolves over time (something like after a day it'll reach neutral buoyancy, then get lighter), they'd also had something like an electrical failure and a failure of the control systems where they'd accidently reversed the inputs.

So whilst I doesn't sound like it'll end well, there is a chance that in the next day or so it'll bob to the surface with some very annoyed, but relieved and stinky people on board.

[edit]
found the show.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No way they are going to get them out.

Anybody saying this stuff should be banned... That's ridiculous. What would life be with no risk? Especially when it's yours to choose!

Unfortunately this is a high risk situation and things can and do go wrong. Feel for those people. 96 hours must be horrendous. The experts probably know thier fate.

So tragic. But thems the risks. They would have been fully briefed. Though I accept it's one of those you never think it's gonna happen to You!

Caporegime
Tragic yes, not allowed? Don't be silly. Would you ban climbing Everest or similar peaks? Would you ban the Isle of Man TT? If people want to risk their lives that is on them. We all have a choice.

Since when has that ever been the policy of the UK police? People are arrested on a daily basis for smoking weed.

Soldato
I would imagine the US Navy has some sort of rapidly deployable deep sea retrievable unit incase one of their subs goes down, they will have experts in this type of thing.

Edit: I'm actually not sure they have one that goes deep enough to be fair, and the missing vessel weighs 10,000kg. Wow.
Subs don't operate at those depths or anything close to it, it wouldn't survive the pressure anyhow

Back
Top Bottom