Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
According to an 'Expert' yesterday in Submarine recovery, they only had a certificate to 3000 metres.
When he was told there was a 1% chance of survival he said it's nowhere near that high.
From what I've read, the only thing certified was the viewing port by the company that manufactured it, and it was only certified to 1300meters

In his filing, Lochridge said the viewing port at the forward end of the submersible was built to sustain a certified pressure of 1,300 meters (4,265 feet), although OceanGate planned to take passengers down to depths of some 4,000 meters.

Almost a year after the Marine Technology Society letter was sent, OceanGate published a blogpost explaining why it would not have Titan certified.
It is not clear whether the Titan has received industry certification since the blogpost was published, but in 2022 a CBS News reporter who was due to travel on the vessel reported that the waiver he signed read: “This experimental vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body.”

Although all of this is moot because if the noises heard are survivors, then obviously the sub is still intact and it's an issue with sub systems

Soldato
Can't seem to find any information on how this thing works other than control pad and what safety measures it has in place ?

Guess they will need to share all that now ?

Was reading employee was sacked because concerns he had wasn't listened , ended up taking him to court for sharing confidential documents about it

Soldato

Another press conference coming

Can't seem to find any information on how this thing works other than control pad and what safety measures it has in place ?

Guess they will need to share all that now ?

Was reading employee was sacked because concerns he had wasn't listened , ended up taking him to court for sharing confidential documents about it

Shows the spec sheet 3 mins in, pretty good video in its entirity though as it explains and asks some good questions regarding the sub

Soldato
Although all of this is moot because if the noises heard are survivors, then obviously the sub is still intact and it's an issue with sub systems
As they lost communications on the decent down suggests a leak to me.

If it was an sub system issue, they could have manually released the flotation devices and risen back upwards.

Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Does it matter if the controller is 'tough'?

They're consumer-grade, not the grade I'd want on a trip in a tube under several hundred atmospheres of pressure.

I dunno. I've had a lot of controllers used hundreds of hours with no issues. I'd have no problem with xbox controllers being used for this.

Caporegime
Assuming they don't survive and are eventually recovered it'll be rather awkward if CO2 poisoning wasn't the cause of death for some of them.

Soldato
I think it's fairly safe to say that, even if by some absolute miracle they Titan back to the surface and pull at least some of them out alive, that Ocean Gate will wind up as an entity very soon, no way they can survive this as a going concern which ever way it ends up. There are far to many skeletons coming out of the closet.

Soldato
I dunno. I've had a lot of controllers used hundreds of hours with no issues. I'd have no problem with xbox controllers being used for this.
i have to say the controllers would be the least of my worries as well. dont military drones and stuff routinely use games controllers? i would be more interested in the receivers being used....... my ps4 or xbox 360 or xbox 1 pad on pc have wirelessly never lost connection, but whether they would work under water at 4000m is another matter

Commissario
Does it matter if the controller is 'tough'?

They're consumer-grade, not the grade I'd want on a trip in a tube under several hundred atmospheres of pressure.
The controller however isn't being exposed to any of that pressure*, as far as it's concerned it's operating in what are almost certainly it's design parameters, if potentially a little more moist than most places but no worse than if it was in use in many major cities at certain times of the year.
I'm not saying the controller choice was brilliant, but it's not really much to worry about in itself given there are very few submersibles that go anything like that deep which means that any controller they built from scratch would effectively have been tested less than almost any commercially available one.

*In any situation where it was exposed to circumstances outside of it's design environmental conditions, it would likely be too late for the crew.

Back
Top Bottom