Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Caporegime
And people are paying $250k for the privilege...

WarmheartedHairyAphid-size_restricted.gif

When you put it into context 250k is 0.025% of a billion so the equivalent for an average UK resident is a net worth of 300k so that is the same as me and you paying 75 quid.

That means a day out to Alton towers costs more to us peasants in percentage terms than that trip did for them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I guess it has done some trials before going on a full expedition, so maybe pushing 10 trips at best ? But really only 3 (4 if you count this failed trip) to the Titanic

According to an 'Expert' yesterday in Submarine recovery, they only had a certificate to 3000 metres.
When he was told there was a 1% chance of survival he said it's nowhere near that high.

Caporegime
When you put it into context 250k is 0.025% of a billion so the equivalent for an average UK resident is a net worth of 300k so that is the same as me and you paying 75 quid.

That means a day out to Alton towers costs more to us peasants in percentage terms than that trip did for them.

That's crazy! Just shows you how hard it is to comprehend a billion

Man of Honour
What are they eating, emergency ration packs?

They'd suffocate long before they starved.

As mentioned by others in the thread they'll probably succumb to CO2 build up long before running out of oxygen which is probably a small mercy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
After Lochridge issued his inspection report, OceanGate officials convened a meeting on January 19, 2018, with the CEO, human resources director, engineering director, Lochridge, and the operations director. Per the complaint:

At the meeting Lochridge discovered why he had been denied access to the viewport information from the Engineering department—the viewport at the forward of the submersible was only built to a certified pressure of 1,300 meters, although OceanGate intended to take passengers down to depths of 4,000 meters. Lochridge learned that the viewport manufacturer would only certify to a depth of 1,300 meters due to experimental design of the viewport supplied by OceanGate, which was out of the Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy (“PVHO”) standards. OceanGate refused to pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport that would meet the required depth of 4,000 meters.

What?!?!

Caporegime
Don't personally see the issue with the xbox type controller, these things have had a lot. Of money spent on the design and they are tough as nails. I do an issue with a wireless. Connection however!

It can't be as bad as us arm chair experts think. How many successful trips has it made?

I do hope we find answers to this and some thing is recovered
Does it matter if the controller is 'tough'?

They're consumer-grade, not the grade I'd want on a trip in a tube under several hundred atmospheres of pressure.

Back
Top Bottom