Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Well, it will be cold, pitch black except for a failing flashlight and the sound of crying, dispair bouncing off the metallic walls etc assuming it failed due to power. Not quick or pleasant unless it sprang a leak which point it would faster but still, grim.

Last edited:
Any naval radio operator who cannot pick up a pattern of repeated noises is not likely to be a naval radio operator.

Indeed.

The key would be to create a credible and repeatable pattern.
Probably doesn't even need to be morse. Just a clearly defined pattern that would not be natural.

I think the idea of the guy that said just space the middle taps out would be easiest and I tend to agree.
So not fixating on the length of the "dong" ;) but just roughly get the spacing correct

eg 1 1 1 2 2 2 1 1 1 type thing. (where a 1/2 = a bang)
Probably a hell of a lot easier to do for a normal person than trying to bang a lot and create gaps in the bang to signal the morse.

If I was to think about it, well I wouldn't need to now ;) , if I was pipe banging I would certainly go with the 1 1 1 2 2 2 1 1 1 type approach myself.

Edit : cant space the 1s out for some reason so replace with 2s, where 2 means apply a long gap even for a small "dong"

Last edited:
Commissario
This is what boggles my mind from the tourists perspective. Surely being massively rich as they are they would have done their due diligence on this. I am sure they have done many business acquisitions in the past and researched everything to the highest order. It is not like this was a trip to Disney Land.

If it was myself in that situation, especially taking my son on board I would be asking plenty of questions. I understand there is risk to everything but when the risk means you have a high potential for death that is where I back out and certainly not taking my child with me. It just doesn't make any sense.
I think you're making a very common mistake, assuming that because someone is rich and maybe knows one subject well enough to become rich off it that they'd bother doing "due diligence" or listen to advice that went against their wishes.
There are whole hosts of very rich, or very smart people, who when it comes to some things (or many things) are beaten in the intelligence and common sense stakes by a 9 year old.

Never mistake rich as meaning clever, there are vast numbers of extremely rich people whose only qualification was luck, either in who their parents are, a few lucky breaks in their career, or simply getting 7 numbers right.
That's before you consider how many people think "it won't happen to me" before doing something that they know is risky or they under estimate the risk for whatever reason.

Soldato
Damn! I was thinking like. 100.

Its failed catastrophically in 3 attempts?
That's shocking. Maybe it is as bad as it looks.
From this article

It first went down to 4,000 metres in December 2018, and has been on further successful trips in 2021 and 2022.

I guess it has done some trials before going on a full expedition, so maybe pushing 10 trips at best ? But really only 3 (4 if you count this failed trip) to the Titanic

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Would sooner go on the bezos rocket tbh, but if i am that rich would do both but rocket first. Death by a ball of fire is a good way to go and if decompression happens in space their is a small chance I will blown in an orbit that takes me out of the solar system and my frozen remains get re-encoded by aliens and i get sent back to earth to rule with magical techno powers. We are talking a long timescale maybe 40 to 500000 years.

Soldato
In the tiny chance they make it back up alive they better pay for the rescue cost because surely that's a hell of a lot of money now.
Given that it appears to be a penny pinch operation, i very much doubt OceanGate have two pennies to rub together let alone pay for the rescue operation or payouts if/when they get sued.

Soldato
From this article

I guess it has done some trials before going on a full expedition, so maybe pushing 10 trips at best ? But really only 3 (4 if you count this failed trip) to the Titanic

Yea, I had read it'd done 10 trips last year and this wasn't the first this year, so given that it started in 2021 maybe max 20?

Associate
Not many but that's not really relevant.
How many successful flights did the Comet make before it was discovered that metal fatigue caused catastrophic failure around the windows?

It could fly, but in the end wasn’t airworthy.

This could float and sink, but was absolutely not seaworthy.

Soldato
I find it pretty mad, how they can't get out of it - even if it floats to the surface, it can only be opened from the outside..

Surely, the ability to get out of it, and maybe use liferafts and stuff - should something go wrong like it floats to the top and loses communications, be a critical safety feature..

I'm also suprised it didn't have some sort of detatchable transmitters, so in the event of an emergency - some beacons float up to the surface with some telemetry on it (last known depth, heading, etc) which also transmit an emergency signal to the mothership...

I don't know anything about these sorts of things, but it seems some quite basic stuff just isn't there?

Associate
I they do rescue them, given their finincial situations, should the public pay or the billionaire passengers who likely asked to go there.

And if game over, do they let them rest, like you're meant to with sea deaths, or recover and find out why (and potentially curse recovery ship)

Would bodies decompose in the same way, with no oxygen or heat?

Back
Top Bottom