Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Man of Honour
RF really struggles to penetrate through water. At that depth, no radio will get through.

There are various ultrasonic locator beacons capable of being detected from a ship with appropriate gear through 2-6km of water - you'd have thought something like that would be used on a sub like this.

Associate
Just saw the quote from the journalist who went on there ‘you steer this sub with an Xbox controller, some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes’. He doesn’t seem to be wrong looking at it. Plus no escape pod. It’s like this company have just thrown a huge price tag to attract some with too much money, who as usual thinks, it’s really expensive, it must be good.
The thing is barely big enough for the 5 people inside it - it pretty much IS an escape pod.

Man of Honour
Just saw the quote from the journalist who went on there ‘you steer this sub with an Xbox controller, some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes’. He doesn’t seem to be wrong looking at it. Plus no escape pod. It’s like this company have just thrown a huge price tag to attract some with too much money, who as usual thinks, it’s really expensive, it must be good.

I hope they had backups and didn't go down with just one controller :s

Soldato
Regardless of how much air they have the CO2 levels will soon start to build up when it does run out.

Im an ex Oberon class submariner ( 7 years Royal Navy ) and when we were on patrol and couldn’t change the air we would run CO2 filters or burn oxygen candles. If we didn’t you could notice a distinct change in the air quality after about 12 hours , it became quite heavy and condensation would soon build up.

However worse still when the batteries run down they will probably die of hypothermia .

Im really not sure what they can even if they found them ! If they lost contact 2 hours into a long decent then they could have drifted miles away from the Titanic location.

Titanic is cursed and no one should go near it !

https://oceangate.com/expeditions/titanic-survey-expedition.html Not sure they will be taking many bookings from now on !

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing is barely big enough for the 5 people inside it - it pretty much IS an escape pod.

Just seen it , really doesn't look like it should be used to do this :(

CBS journalist David Pogue was invited to travel on OceanGate's Titan submersible on a press trip last year, to reach the wreckage of the Titanic.

He told the BBC that passengers were sealed inside the main capsule by several bolts that were applied from the outside and had to be removed by an external crew.

He said he initially thought the sub seemed improvised: "You steer this sub with an Xbox game controller, some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes."

If the sub became trapped or sprung a leak "there's no backup, there's no escape pod", he said.

Soldato
Just read the sub sends a ping every 15 minutes as a locator, and stopped pinging 1 hour 45 minutes in to the 2 hour dive. I'm guessing implosion. As a non expert the whole thing just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Soldato
Just read the sub sends a ping every 15 minutes as a locator, and stopped pinging 1 hour 45 minutes in to the 2 hour dive. I'm guessing implosion. As a non expert the whole thing just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Yup. Nothing could stop it surfacing and stop the ping other than an implosion.

Even if they find it, there is nothing they can do. They can't get it back up again. Well, not in 96 hours, they can't.

Associate
I find that very surprising, in that I am pretty sure those frequencies can't penetrate water.
I do know that nuclear submarines use very low frequencies because nothing higher will penetrate to any depth.
Probably just to the support ship, not the sub itself.
I was reading up on the sub comms aircraft yesterday as my memory was a bit hazy, and the E-6 Mercury uses a 5 mile long trailing antenna to send the very basic signals for emergency action messages to subs but it has to be as vertical as possible, so the aircraft flies just above stall speed in circles while the thing hangs down, and this is for incredibly basic signalling, not even voice.

Back
Top Bottom