Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Caporegime
Well, I'd say all of Europe, the USA, Australia, Spain and many other places are better than South Africa.

We don't even walk after dark, because it's too dangerous - or drive with windows open. Most places have 6ft walls, electric fencing, private security. etc.

No place on Earth is perfect; but some are just proper ****holes.

I work with a lady who moved to the UK about 7 years ago. Her parents are from here so that's why she moved back, she and her family had a life in SA, a few houses, good jobs but had always planned to move back to the UK. What pushed her over the edge was her husband was killed by a shooting and herself almost got carjacked at gunpoint at a traffic light stop in the space of a year.

Last edited:
Soldato
I work with a lady who moved to the UK about 7 years ago. Her parents are from here so that's why she moved back, she and her family had a life in SA, a few houses, good jobs but had always planned to move back to the UK. What pushed her over the edge was her husband was killed by a shooting and herself almost got carjacked at gunpoint at a traffic light stop in the space of a year.

See, a story like that would not even make the papers or local news - it's not interesting. We have 70 murders a day, give or take.
Crime here is out of control; because the police are that bad at their job and the unemployment is like 40%.

That's why I laugh when people say "UK is **** don't go there" - but we all have our own perspectives in life, I guess. I just want to be able to walk along the beach with my family without worrying about getting mugged or shot. Not a big ask.

Last edited:
Is there a/some lifting points on the capsule?
I haven't noticed any but haven't looked specifically.

See, a story like that would not even make the papers or local news - it's not interesting. We have 70 murders a day, give or take.
Crime here is out of control; because the police are that bad at their job and the unemployment is like 40%.

That's why I laugh when people say "UK is **** don't go there" - but we all have our own perspectives in life, I guess. I just want to be able to walk along the beach with my family without worrying about getting mugged or shot. Not a big ask.

Off topic I know, but this is why people who think us getting a bit harsh on immigration is going to discourage people to try are just not getting it IMO.

Permabanned

I'd avoid Blackpool Central, that would be a big ask.... ;)

Soldato
Canada is already supporting the search, they are doing some of the active sonar monitoring for example

What is it about some peoples british exceptionalism that because we cooperate at national level on these things they suddenly start saying things like we should just go anyway.

Its the equivalent of the tik tok lot rushing to get to Nicola Bulleys death site as they think they can solve the crime the police can't.

The Magellen subs (including the Juliet) literally just completed the first full 3D scan of the Titanic down to the millimetre.. massively impressive and with such recent crazy hours spent down around the Titanic, they have very recent working knowledge of the site..

It would be the perfect support to the French sub..

Soldato
I'm sure most are aware of that, they aren't however attached to a vehicle ;)

The cables you're talking about, even when laid, are done in sections.
The vehicle is almost buoyant, so the cable would not have the full weight of the vehicle on it.

Since deepsea cable tends to be quite armoured/sealed, it might be that construction is enough and a quick google suggests 1.4 Tonnes per KM..

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I wonder how heavy it is!?
Quick search on deep sea cable company specs shows on average, cable weight is around 81KG per KM, so just over 640KG for the 8KM run. It's not pure copper inside either as it houses optical fibre for the cameras and equipment it uses. The cables for these things have floats attached along the run too so that weight is reduced due to the floats adding relief.

Last edited:
The Magellen subs (including the Juliet) literally just completed the first full 3D scan of the Titanic down to the millimetre.. massively impressive and with such recent crazy hours spent down around the Titanic, they have very recent working knowledge of the site..

It would be the perfect support to the French sub..

Yes indeed and maybe if they were looking for something on the wreck in that detail they would be perfect.

They are however performing a wide area search (that increases constantly due to currents they said) which is probably why (I am guessing like all of us) they need capability to scan wide areas faster rather than a smaller area in super high def.

They are also of course balancing both ocean bed, in ocean current and on surface searches.
I suspect they have already a pretty good idea if its in the general area of the titanic (ie basically sank straight down) where that would be 100% perfect, or if they feel its not directly below where it was dropped.
IMO if it is directly below where it was dropped its far more likely to be a massive failure, if its suffered problems with control etc then its far more likely moved away either submerged or on the surface.

Associate
What did you find ? - it's not that straight forward either, you can't send much signal through that much water - also, it requires power, which if that failed on the sub, wouldn't work.

Most of them had a range of 1800 to 2000 meters so somebody would have had to have gone down there anyway. They also came with their own batteries which lasted much longer than the submersibles air lasted, so I don't think that would have been an issue.

Better than nothing.

Probably better tech available, I was just scanning though some sites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom