Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Canada is already supporting the search, they are doing some of the active sonar monitoring for example

What is it about some peoples british exceptionalism that because we cooperate at national level on these things they suddenly start saying things like we should just go anyway.

Its the equivalent of the tik tok lot rushing to get to Nicola Bulleys death site as they think they can solve the crime the police can't.

Soldato
Canada is already supporting the search, they are doing some of the active sonar monitoring for example

What is it about some peoples british exceptionalism that because we cooperate at national level on these things they suddenly start saying things like we should just go anyway.

Its the equivalent of the tik tok lot rushing to get to Nicola Bulleys death site as they think they can solve the crime the police can't.

Because British company Magellan are considered the subject matter experts when it comes to the area around the Titanic.

Looks like their services offered would have been perfect for this operation:

Full ocean depth MBES - multibeam sonar at depths upto 6000M
Side scan sonar
Sub-bottom profiling

:(

Man of Honour

Because the more ships, planes, submarines, whatever, that take part in the search then the more area they can cover and the better chance of finding them. No-one has trumpeted British exceptionalism or said we could have found them when others couldn't. It's simply a numbers game. The more people taking part the more chance there is.

That's a **** poor comparison.

At least the people they are talking about in this thread have actual experience in these sorts of situation. The Tik Tok lot needed to make some money and promote their channel.

To be clear I said the people saying we should just go (ie the public), NOT the experts.

Should every nation on the earth say "bah we know better thats it send our people". can you imagine the **** up that would be.

This is why one nation coordinates and the rest support.

Because the more ships, planes, submarines, whatever, that take part in the search then the more area they can cover and the better chance of finding them. No-one has trumpeted British exceptionalism or said we could have found them when others couldn't. It's simply a numbers game. The more people taking part the more chance there is.

Yes its a numbers game of having the right resources in the right place at the right time, which is precisely what the people leading the search and rescue said it is.

It 100% is British exceptionalism thinking we know better (well some people think they know better) than a collective group of experts leading the search and rescue.

Even arguing it is confirming it, your literally saying you know better than the subject matter experts.

Because British company Magellan are considered the subject matter experts when it comes to the area around the Titanic.

Looks like their services offered would have been perfect for this operation:

Full ocean depth MBES - multibeam sonar at depths upto 6000M
Side scan sonar
Sub-bottom profiling

:(

Yes but how much of that is of more use right now than the assets already on site we don't know, and can only assume that the experts say its not quite what we need.

Man of Honour
It 100% is British exceptionalism thinking we know better (well some people think they know better) than a collective group of experts leading the search and rescue.

Even arguing it is confirming it, your literally saying you know better than the subject matter experts.
So me saying clearly that the British aren't better than other countries at this, is evidence in your mind that I am saying the British are better than other countries at this.

OK petal.

Soldato
Is it though? I can think of worse. Surely they would slowly drift into unconsciousness through lack of oxygen?

Not after they've fought with each other, scared crap out of each other and had a mental breakdown.

I think if you were by yourself it wouldn't be so bad. Being with others, particularly father son combo must lead to some depressing conversation.

Associate
Yes its a numbers game of having the right resources in the right place at the right time, which is precisely what the people leading the search and rescue said it is.

But who blocked it though? Was it the experts? Or someone else because the news is not consistent? Also, they asked for it now which discredits your "at the right time" point because now it is more than likely too late.

Soldato
I reckon that there was catastrophic hull failure at the point they lost comms.

If they'd just lost comms they would have presumably aborted the mission and resurfaced.

If this were the case it would have been mercifully quick.

Commissario
With my original post I wasn't even sure if that would be the vessel that would carry a submersible, do we not have any other vessels similar to that of the La Atalante?
Both the subs and the support vessels tend to be quite major capitol investments, especially for something capable of working at this depth, as I think was said in one of the other posts the US rescue sub requires a crane that can be moved to any suitably large ship but is in itself a major operation to both get it to the ship it's to be used on, and then fix it in place as it takes a day or so to weld it fully to a suitably strong deck so it doesn't go over whilst lifting the rescue sub.
Oceanic research is not particularly sexy, and until relatively recently most countries have under funded anything to do with it, most of the money spent on it has been to do things like assist in working on oil rigs, or dealing with relatively close to shore/low depth stuff, it's only the last decade or two that an interest in what's on the sea floor at depth has really started to take off and result in more craft being available, and most of that is down to the realisation that there are resources down there that might possibly be exploited and working out how to do it in a way that is financially viable.

Basically because we don't actually do much at those depths there isn't much of anything available and most countries might only have at most one or two, I think even the British Navy only has something like one maybe two "rescue" subs that can go to a few hundred meters to give some chance if one of our attack or missile subs gets stuck, and the only real reason we have those rescue subs is because it's (quite rightly) seen as the duty of the navy to at least attempt a rescue in the event of that sort of accident, and they're relatively "cheap" compared to the price of a nuclear missile sub (the cynic in me says there may be an element of thinking if one got stuck a "rescue" sub might be able to transport something that could help it surface).

Man of Honour

Some of the sensitive equipment used actually works better without additional aircraft or ships producing noise.

Back
Top Bottom