Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Both the subs and the support vessels tend to be quite major capitol investments, especially for something capable of working at this depth, as I think was said in one of the other posts the US rescue sub requires a crane that can be moved to any suitably large ship but is in itself a major operation to both get it to the ship it's to be used on, and then fix it in place as it takes a day or so to weld it fully to a suitably strong deck so it doesn't go over whilst lifting the rescue sub.
Oceanic research is not particularly sexy, and until relatively recently most countries have under funded anything to do with it, most of the money spent on it has been to do things like assist in working on oil rigs, or dealing with relatively close to shore/low depth stuff, it's only the last decade or two that an interest in what's on the sea floor at depth has really started to take off and result in more craft being available, and most of that is down to the realisation that there are resources down there that might possibly be exploited and working out how to do it in a way that is financially viable.

Basically because we don't actually do much at those depths there isn't much of anything available and most countries might only have at most one or two, I think even the British Navy only has something like one maybe two "rescue" subs that can go to a few hundred meters to give some chance if one of our attack or missile subs gets stuck, and the only real reason we have those rescue subs is because it's (quite rightly) seen as the duty of the navy to at least attempt a rescue in the event of that sort of accident, and they're relatively "cheap" compared to the price of a nuclear missile sub (the cynic in me says there may be an element of thinking if one got stuck a "rescue" sub might be able to transport something that could help it surface).

Not sure what the ratios are but a military nuclear sub unless its suffered a catastrophic failure will basically be able to stay sitting on say the sea bed for as long as the food lasts out (within reason)
Rescue in those circumstances would be considerably different I guess.

Did that actually happen?

PS: I don't stay in the UK; (yet) so unaware of a lot of local things.

Indeed it did yes.

People breaking into at least one property, climbing over fences etc

Soldato
I'd recommend staying away. The place has turned into a disaster.

It's not so bad; I visit once a year. Moving back because all my family are there and our son needs to grow up around them.
Also.. come stay here for a bit and you'll know what a failed state is really like. ;)

- No functioning education system
- No functioning police
- No functioning basic services
- Power outages every day - up to 10 hours.
- Highest unemployment in the world
- Very high crime and violent crime.
.. the list goes on..

.. guess the country.

UK is paradise in comparison. ;)

Last edited:
to be fair................ the official search team did make a proper pigs ear of it.

I dunno, many people at the time were saying its not easy. It was really just that one "expert" who seemed to vastly overplay his own skills.

I was really referring to the on shore stuff that was going on, rather than the river part.

Soldato
Because British company Magellan are considered the subject matter experts when it comes to the area around the Titanic.

Looks like their services offered would have been perfect for this operation:

Full ocean depth MBES - multibeam sonar at depths upto 6000M
Side scan sonar
Sub-bottom profiling

:(
Magellan's Juliet sub is on the way, left Jersey airport this morning on a C17, too late for survivors but it may be able to locate the missing sub

Man of Honour
It's not so bad; I visit once a year. Moving back because all my family are there and our son needs to grow up around them.
Also.. come stay here for a bit and you'll know what a failed state is really like. ;)

- No functioning police
.. the list goes on..

.. guess the country.

Ooh ooh ! I like quizzes... I'll say, South Africa or Nigeria. Definitely somewhere in Africa. Hmm.. or maybe even Brazil actually considering their crime rate and population. Nope, I'll go with my first guess, South Africa

Associate

- No functioning police
.. the list goes on..

.. guess the country.

SA?

Soldato

- No functioning police
.. the list goes on..

.. guess the country.

South Africa?

Soldato
Glad the UK is considered better than South Africa, what a benchmark to be proud of.........

Well, I'd say all of Europe, the USA, Australia, Spain and many other places are better than South Africa.

We don't even walk after dark, because it's too dangerous - or drive with windows open. Most places have 6ft walls, electric fencing, private security. etc.

No place on Earth is perfect; but some are just proper ****holes.

Last edited:

- No functioning police
.. the list goes on..

.. guess the country.

Sounds like republican parts of the US

Associate
Most of my wife's family are still there, although a lot of the younger generation are trying to get out.
Lovely place to visit (for the countryside and nature, I've been twice) but you wouldn't want to live there.

Soldato
Most of my wife's family are still there, although a lot of the younger generation are trying to get out.
Lovely place to visit (for the countryside and nature, I've been twice) but you wouldn't want to live there.

Most people who come to SA go to Cape Town. Because literally the rest of it is a **** show (Except for Kruger park, which is amazing)

Back
Top Bottom