Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Sonar is the only reliable way. Animals use it under water, submarines use it etc.

This is going to be one of those threads that will be necroed in 10 years time when it washes up off the coast of Cornwall and some poor sod finds it washed up on a beach and peers in. That is IF it hasn't imploded.
Surely it would explode by then, the gasses a decomposing body releases are quite severe, let alone 5 of them in a confined space :| Assuming it hasn't imploded of course.

Last edited:
Associate
Sonar is the only reliable way. Animals use it under water, submarines use it etc.

Surely it would explode by then, the gasses a decomposing body releases are quite severe, let alone 5 of them in a confined space :| Assuming it hasn't imploded of course.

The thing was designed to resist pressure differentials of 6000 psi - a few bodies aren't going to do anything to it

Commissario
If it's designed to withstand the pressure of being 4000m down in the sea, I don't think the pressure from decomposing bodies will be anywhere near as strong.

I hate to say it but I hope it imploded. Sitting in a tube for four days waiting to die is horrible.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The thing was designed to resist pressure differentials of 6000 psi - a few bodies aren't going to do anything to it
Designed vs certified are very different things. It was not certified by any recognised body to those depths let alone the depth of the Titanic. it just so happens it made a handful of dives without any known issues until now.

The "experimental" waiver each person had to sign was part of the deal, that they may not return to surface.

Edit* take for a example a Casio F-91W, a watch made in the 80s and to this day only designed to be "water resistant" - Yet we have people out there diving with it and swimming and it has no problems. Would you take it with you though on a dive as your only means of measuring your dive time as the watch is well known for being fine under water? Certainly not!

Last edited:
Soldato
It should be feasible to create something using a low frequency audio transducer to effectively mimic (or as was argued over, maybe even sound out using Morse code) someone banging a hull..

You would make it battery powered, external to the pressure vessel and having it on a failsafe that is reset when you start the dive and automatically will start sounding if not reset after X number of hours.. it would sound on the half hour with depth information or similar via morse code..

Easy.. ;)

Soldato
IIRC radio waves travel very badly in water, even the very long wave. Sound waves however travel far better, its why they use pings. I can't imagine there is any way radio could be used to communicate at those depths.
There were reports saying it had a way of sending text messages acoustically to the surface vessel and the surface vessel sends them directions on the same system, but it seemed very unreliable and often didn't work. In 2022 they lost track of it for 5 hours (and shut the WiFi down on the ship so people couldn't tweet about it... or to preserve bandwidth for emergencies if you believe the company)

Probably why it took them so long to raise the alarm, because they're used to losing track of it for hours at a time.

Last edited:
Soldato
So it's taken 4 days for a C-17 to turn up and load their equipment.

Yep - rumour mill here (in Guernsey) is that they've left without it due to it not fitting - that's unconfirmed to my knowledge though.

Last edited:
Associate
Designed vs certified are very different things. It was not certified by any recognised body to those depths let alone the depth of the Titanic. it just so happens it made a handful of dives without any known issues until now.

Oh I'm not saying it's safe or a good design, just that 6000psi versus the 1 or 2 psi a rotting corpse might put out isn't going to do anything.

Actually, come to think of it, it might make it even safer - the problem is enormous differential between outside and inside, and if you increase the pressure inside you reduce the differential slightly. So, a collection of decomposing bodies actually makes the thing safer by a fraction of a few percent...

Soldato
Just dawned on me that they might not have working lights. Can you imagine that, all the way in the scared, angry etc and probably can't see anything.
If you mean inside then Phones, cameras, and any independantly powered electronics with a display would generate some light..

Not forgetting the camping shop light on the ceiling.. ;)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh I'm not saying it's safe or a good design, just that 6000psi versus the 1 or 2 psi a rotting corpse might put out isn't going to do anything.

Actually, come to think of it, it might make it even safer - the problem is enormous differential between outside and inside, and if you increase the pressure inside you reduce the differential slightly. So, a collection of decomposing bodies actually makes the thing safer by a fraction of a few percent...
I agree, the problem then being if someone does find it washed up on shore and attempts to open up the bolts, the pressure differential may well blast that hatch open as a few screws get undone maybe?

What a grim sight that would be :/

Associate
I agree, the problem then being if someone does find it washed up on shore and attempts to open up the bolts, the pressure differential may well blast that hatch open as a few screws get undone maybe?

What a grim sight that would be :/

Nah - the moment there was a small enough gap anywhere in the seal the tiny pressure differential would release and you'd get a horrific smell coming out which would probably make the openers throw up. It might be SLIGHTLY higher pressure, but you'd struggle to notice it I think.

Soldato
Yep - rumour mill here (in Guernsey) is that they've left without it due to it not fitting - that's unconfirmed to my knowledge though.

BBC also reporting "Efforts to send deepwater survey craft from Jersey hits snag" and it had to take off without sub..

Back
Top Bottom