Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
THis is one of the reasons i dont want to be a billionaire.
you dont *have* to become a thrill seeker.

i already have my money spends planned if i get a few billion to spare and none of it involves risking my life ;) (i say that but....... that submersible would be cool - well perhaps not THAT one)

Last edited:
Soldato
So let me get this straight, the entire sub is controlled by a cheap bluetooth controller? Setup to bluetooth to the engines outside? In water? Where bluetooth radio won't go very far?!

Am I wrong here - SURELY there is manual hard wired back up control of the sub?

If this is not so...........then wow, the song 'dumb ways to die' springs to mind.....

If it is ONLY a bluetooth controller, controlling the entire thing (again surely not and/or there is professional grade control systems as well?!).........but if it is, then my theory is, the sub is perfectly fine, but the controller disconnected, and they can't command the sub to surface, wow, stupidity, my guess is, they got near the wreck/seabed, kicked up dust, which interfered with the controller signal, and thats it, one of them had better step outside and press the bluetooth sync button on the engines :rolleyes:

Soldato
So let me get this straight, the entire sub is controlled by a cheap bluetooth controller? Setup to bluetooth to the engines outside? In water? Where bluetooth radio won't go very far?!

Am I wrong here - SURELY there is manual hard wired back up control of the sub?

If this is not so...........then wow, the song 'dumb ways to die' springs to mind.....

If it is ONLY a bluetooth controller, controlling the entire thing (again surely not and/or there is professional grade control systems as well?!).........but if it is, then my theory is, the sub is perfectly fine, but the controller disconnected, and they can't command the sub to surface, wow, stupidity, my guess is, they got near the wreck/seabed, kicked up dust, which interfered with the controller signal, and thats it, one of them had better step outside and press the bluetooth sync button on the engines :rolleyes:

I just watched that video on BBC, has one button to power up by the looks of it and a cheap looking Logitech gamepad style controller.

Could have suffered stick drift.

In all seriousness, you would expect something a bit more advanced/technical than a gamepad controller to control a sub.

Soldato
would it not at least have an emergency release bouy to send a balloon to the surface and then transmit the last known position of the sub? if not then that seems a huge missing safety feature. (also with a copy of all data on the black box which it must surely have at the point of release)

the more i think about it the more i think it had to be a catestrophic fail otherwise surely they would either have done emergency ascent or sent up a distress bouy as mentioned in line above.

Last edited:
Soldato
They use wireless Bluetooth technology cos they can't use physical wires with cable connectors due to the pressure. Connectors will fold in.

Still madness to use Bluetooth technology without any backup..I even had trouble connecting my car with my old phone via Bluetooth!

Soldato
They use wireless Bluetooth technology cos they can't use physical wires with cable connectors due to the pressure. Connectors will fold in.

Still madness to use Bluetooth technology without any backup..I even had trouble connecting my car with my old phone via Bluetooth!

Yes of course, but, you would want to use professional systems with multiple redundancy & frequencies - not off the shelf gamepads that cost £10 & were never designed to transmit through water at 6000 PSI

Soldato
That would be incredibly stupid and people are paying £250k each per dive.

Also read that the vessel hasn't been approved for use by any agency, not surprising if its using a BT controller.

$250k.

It's crazy to think that the sub is controlled by a controller and not by a ship on the surface with a cable. (Though it's too far down to use a cable I believe)

Just no.

Soldato
not off the shelf gamepads that cost £10 & were never designed to transmit through water at 6000 PSI
You don't know how they modified or adapted them. They could be totally bespoke for the job we just don't know. Fundamentally though not much difference between a joystick or a gamepad, simply too much guesswork to make an informed opinion either way yet.

Back
Top Bottom