Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Just heard one of the Simpsons writers talk about it as he's done it.

He fell asleep on the way down, a two and a half hour drop. Apparently, it couldn't be more "low tech". So if they lost contact 45 minutes into the journey it wasn't even half way down.

I guess if you're rich you look for new things to spend your money on. Fair play to them, bad luck though.

Soldato
Just heard one of the Simpsons writers talk about it as he's done it.

He fell asleep on the way down, a two and a half hour drop. Apparently, it couldn't be more "low tech". So if they lost contact 45 minutes into the journey it wasn't even half way down.

I guess if you're rich you look for new things to spend your money on. Fair play to them, bad luck though.

1hr 45 into a 2hr dive they are saying, so pretty much at the titanic already.

Soldato
I know hindsight a wonderful thing but for this craft to be allowed to do what it does surely there should be a backup emergency craft for this situation.

At least that could go down to the depths required.

Soldato
1hr 45 into a 2hr dive they are saying, so pretty much at the titanic already.
Ah ha, I must have misread.

Edit: Just had a look, yes I did misread. I hate it when numbers are both written and in numerics!

Either One hour and forty-five minutes, 1h45m, but not one hour and 45 minutes!

Plus, I could also read better. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Same, never thought people would want to go with it being a mass grave. What poor taste
no worse than all already mentioned a myriad of other places.... personally i would like to go, not because of the people who perished, but more because of wanting to see the nuts and bolts of the titanic... just like i would like to see the bottom of the Mariana trench as well.....

OTOH not sure i would want to visit Auschwitz .... i think the difference is one is a terrible accident where as the other is just human cruelty.

as for banning people for doing dangerous stuff...... well that is motorsport, skiing, skydiving and just about anything out then.

imo things should be made as safe as feasible and everyone made clear of the risks and then god speed. As for suing the company. if it turns out corners were cut and the agreed safety protocol ignored then fair enough fill your boots.

but if it is just that every care was taken within what the passengers and crew were warned about then, that is the way it goes imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn’t mean it’s good enough though.
I don't think you are qualified to say that really. I doubt all these billionaires are willing to risk their lives on something shoddy, or the batteries of a PS controller but if they are, then well good contenders for a Darwin award.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I haven't read the whole thread so I am sure the issue of the controller has been done to death. But wow at replying on a cheap wireless controller. If the battery dies, the controller breaks or the wireless adapter fails then the sub is uncontrollable and would drift away.

From the video on the BBC it looks like a Logitech F710.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't read the whole thread so I am sure the issue of the controller has been done to death. But wow at replying on a cheap wireless controller. If the battery dies, the controller breaks or the wireless adapter fails then the sub is uncontrollable and would drift away.

one would hope they had a spare!.

Soldato

The video above says they had a couple of spares

Soldato
So just learned a billionaire is on this. Did he have this made? Even then he should have gotten something way better, it looks so bad inside.

Soldato
I could understand the thrill of it if the submersible looked like something out of the Abyss but a literal tin can on its side, sitting cross legged crammed in with four other people all craning their necks to gawp out of a minute porthole at one end?! No thanks
Simpsons writer said it was so comfortable that he fell asleep.

I don't think they pack them in like sardines.

Back
Top Bottom