Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Sad. The video I just saw about the CEO loving the way the acrylic screen crackles at depth… just screams fatigue failure to me. Ie change every dive. The collapse at that pressure could be over in 30ms and temperature as hot as the sun.

The carbon fibre surely is insulation too, no pressure vessel with the pressure hogher outside would rely on that. Carbon needs to be in tension . Filament wound fuselage like a 787 Dreamliner is for pressure inside. With outside pressure the forces are compressive so only really as strong as the plastic compound binding the fibres.

Last edited:
Soldato
When you start looking into it you can see how crazy the whole thing was. Only problem is the owner is dead. How can you sue?

He must have conned them all or they were incredibly naive and didn't check what they were getting themselves into.

As I thought the end bells are intact and the carbon fibre hull imploded because it wasn't up to the job.

its been down to the titanic 3 times before and remained intact

you cant just say "clearly wasnt up to the job"

Soldato
We can all agree his arrogance will have led to naivety and this has cost lives..

No idea I doubt many people have pressure tested cylindrical carbon fibre to the pressures of 4000 meters under the sea!
I see lots of talk over Carbon fiber and the "ludicrous" nature of the design, but for the sake of conversation, carbon fiber pressure vessels using filament wound methods is a 'thing'...
https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/composites-end-markets-pressure-vessels-2023 - Reusable vessels (under tension, not compression of course) that can take 5000psi (not far off the pressure at the Titanic) storing hydrogen safely.

I would like to learn more, actual facts and understanding of his design/validation process. The concept of the design is not that crazy (the more I look in to it), it has made 3 paid dives to the titanic which IMO makes it have some merit from a conceptual point of view.. it needs clearly more validation, some design tweaks, but I can see how it could be made to work reasonably safely and be somewhere towards the requirement of being able to be cheaply produced at a point that extreme tourism and increasing access for exploration reasons might be achievable.

RIP once again to all those involved.

Last edited:
Caporegime
its been down to the titanic 3 times before and remained intact

you cant just say "clearly wasnt up to the job"
They'd done tests on a small scale model showing the fatigue flaws from repeated compression and decompression cycles.

The guy who raised concerns over flaws developing in the carbon fibre was promptly fired.

Soldato
We can all agree his arrogance will have led to naivety and this has cost lives..

I see lots of talk over Carbon fiber and the "ludicrous" nature of the design, but for the sake of conversation, carbon fiber pressure vessels using filament wound methods is a 'thing'...
https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/composites-end-markets-pressure-vessels-2023 - Reusable vessels (under tension, not compression of course) that can take 5000psi (not far off the pressure at the Titanic) storing hydrogen safely.

I would like to learn more, actual facts and understanding of his design/validation process. The concept of the design is not that crazy (the more I look in to it), it has made 3 paid dives to the titanic which IMO makes it have some merit from a conceptual point of view.. it needs clearly more validation, some design tweaks, but I can

RIP once again to all those involved.

Opposite direction, those are stretching the carbon making the most of its tensile strength properties.

Pretty much it’s a submersible de Haviland comet in my view.

Back
Top Bottom