Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
its been down to the titanic 3 times before and remained intact

you cant just say "clearly wasnt up to the job"
Why do you keep repeating this as if it makes it all ok?

Yes it went down before, BUT the key thing you keep not mentioning is that it was not certified by any regulating body to that depth, or any depth for that matter, and material fatigue was noted by the fired employee as a safety concern as well as various other issues like the viewport only being rated for half the depth in the first instance.

Just because it dived down there a few times does not make it safe as it never underwent proper testing for those depths.

And yes, it clearly wasn't up to the job, if it was then the CEO would have had it certified instead of making false claims on media that were later found to be not true.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought The concept of carbon fibre composite was that Carbon Fiber is excellent for tensile properties, but not great for compressive forces, and vice-versa for resins, hence carbon fibre composites that are excellent for both..

Great to discuss and learn, I'm not an expert, but do work with plenty so I am naturally fascinated and have a good broad cursory understanding (i.e. I know I don't know enough).

Myself personally I am all for trying new things but doing it the right way is what I am getting at. I am not saying that the carbon fibre hull isn't a bad idea but it needs to be tested fully.

It has essentially gone into service without any proper testing. You can understand this kind of concept in the space race days but we have come on a little bit since then as a human race. It was a totally avoidable incident and waste of life that gets me.

Soldato
It looks like it was not a pure cylinder with that particular rear fairing. Also connection details between the components would be critical. Combinations of axial and circumferential compression and possibly local tensile stresses are relevant for buckling failure as well as repeat loading cycles.

Here’s a vid of how the carbon fibre hull was wound.

Soldato
Full investigation will probably tell us what kind of testing they actually did

They will have to share information now no one seems to know much about it

Reactions: mrk
Associate
There is so many things wrong with the design of this submersible I'm surprised these billionaires didn't carry out their due diligence.

When you watch the videos Mr rush done with he press boasting that he uses a cheap game pad (supposedly modified) and bought a handle (maybe it's a light) from a hardware store and his general disregard for safety, then you read the information that the fired ex CEO put out years ago about the lack of safety there is just absolutely no way I would go down there.

The fact it's already been down 3 times would make me even more nervous due to the fatigue stresses.

Surely something like this should be a 1 time use only on the grounds of safety with the pressures that are involved.

Caporegime
There were reports earlier that the "knocking" was actually just "ocean background noise"
It’s a wreck site of a 46,000 ton ship which tore in two on sinking, there’s countless pieces of debris moving around - and making noises - in the strong currents at that depth - the Titanic’s resting place is not a peaceful one.

Clear empty spaces of ocean floor are indeed silent, not spaces where such a large vessel lies in a tangled mess….

Caporegime
It looks like it was not a pure cylinder with that particular rear fairing. Also connection details between the components would be critical. Combinations of axial and circumferential compression and possibly local tensile stresses are relevant for buckling failure as well as repeat loading cycles.

The rear faring wasn't part of the pressure vessel. It more than likely held all the guts of it. It was basically a toilet roll made of carbon fibre with two titanium steel end bells glued on with the only way of entry and exit being bolted in one end. The whole thing was controlled wirelessly too. No cables running into the pressure vessel.

Commissario
What would happen to the bodies once imploded? How 'small' the bodies would be in that depth?

I posted these before, time to do so again.

When a submarine implodes, a variety of fairly ugly things will happen to the crew. If we assume that a pressure hull implodes at 2000 feet (~60 atmospheres), the pressure will increase from 14.7 to about 875 PSI almost instantly. In the parts of the submarine that have volumes of trapped air, it would be like being inside a diesel engine cylinder when begins its compression stroke.

Anything flammable would burst into flames until a huge wall of water slams into the area and snuffs it out again. The impact of the water would cause significant injury to anyone unlucky enough to still be alive and there would be no time to suffer the effects of oxygen poisoning or anything else.

As others have stated, most human tissues are fluid-filled and are for the most part, incompressible. Human lungs and sinuses would be crushed instantly and the immense shock would render them unconscious immediately. Of greater concern would be the surge of incoming seawater, bulkheads, decks, heavy equipment, motors and other random bits of equipment being slammed into the crew at high velocity.

Essentially, the crew would be killed several times over in less than a blink of an eye.

According to several articles about the loss of the Scorpion, when the pressure hull failed, water entering the hull was moving at supersonic speeds and had filled the entire space in within 100 milliseconds.

The collapse produced with a force equivalent to 6000 kg of TNT.

When a submarine exceed its crush depth, and finally implodes, the water rushes in at 200 tons per square inch (or more) at thousands of miles an hour. Everything in the submarine disintegrates into a thousand pieces in an instant. One moment the crew is alive, the next, they are not. No time to think - just <POOF> gone. No time to feel anything - just >POOF< gone. No time to worry - just <POOF> gone

No one in the crew will even have time to think ‘uh oh… this is it’ or even ‘uh oh’. They won’t even have time for their eyes to relay messages to their brain of the ship disintegrating in front of them before they are gone. Here one instant, not there the next.

As a former reactor operator aboard SSN-595 originally designated Thresher class but changed to Permit class after the Thresher sinking, if I remember my physics this is what happens when the hull implodes.

Remember how a tire pump heats up as you inflate your bike tire? That's what occurs when the water rushes in at tremendous velocity. The air heats up to hundreds of degrees in a millisecond burning you alive just to extinguish you within that same second.

That acoustic signal originated near 46-10S, 59-42W at 1358Z (GMT) on 15 November 2017. It was produced by the collapse (implosion) of the ARA SAN JUAN pressure-hull at a depth of 1275-feet. Sea pressure at the collapse depth was 570 PSI. The frequency of the collapse event signal (bubble-pulse) was about 4.4 Hz.

The energy released by the collapse was equal to the explosion of 12,500 pounds of TNT at the depth of 1275-feet. That energy was produced by the nearly instantaneous conversion of potential energy (sea-pressure) to kinetic energy, the motion of the intruding water-ram which entered the SAN JUAN pressure-hull at a speed of about 1800 mph.

The entire pressure-hull was completely destroyed (fragmented/compacted) in about 40 milliseconds (0.040s or 1/25th of a second), the duration of the compression phase of the collapse event which is half the minimum time required for cognitive recognition of an event.

Although the crew may have known collapse was imminent, they never knew it was occurring. They did not drown or experience pain. Death was instantaneous.

Back
Top Bottom