Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
The whole thing seems like a clown show to me, I don't think they could have been saved but it makes you wonder about the state of the vessel.

Wouldn't been able to save when blown to pieces in milliseconds

Could have been saved if maybe they got certification for the thing to do this in the place?

Soldato
I understand this is tragic and it will affect sub trips like this is years to come, but I do hope from this at least lessons will be learnt. maybe the international comunity will now start putting some kind of minimum safety standards on all subs. At least this is something that should hopefully not happen again.
There are safety standards.

This company chose to bypass them all (as they're operating in international waters, there's no jurisdiction to prevent them), claiming all these tedious safety certifications held back innovation.

Soldato
Opposite direction, those are stretching the carbon making the most of its tensile strength properties.

Pretty much it’s a submersible de Haviland comet in my view.
I thought The concept of carbon fibre composite was that Carbon Fiber is excellent for tensile properties, but not great for compressive forces, and vice-versa for resins, hence carbon fibre composites that are excellent for both..

Great to discuss and learn, I'm not an expert, but do work with plenty so I am naturally fascinated and have a good broad cursory understanding (i.e. I know I don't know enough).

Last edited:
Soldato
He must have conned them all or they were incredibly naive and didn't check what they were getting themselves into.

The French guy had been down before and was a deep sea diving expert. Hamish is described as a pilot, skydiver, astronaut.

We get it, you don't do risk or understand doing dangerous things for the thrill :p

Look at the people who die base jumping or those extreme selfies. They're adrenaline junkies and it wouldn't be such a thrill if it wasn't dangerous.

Soldato
Opposite direction, those are stretching the carbon making the most of its tensile strength properties.

Pretty much it’s a submersible de Haviland comet in my view.

It looks like it was not a pure cylinder with that particular rear fairing. Also connection details between the components would be critical. Combinations of axial and circumferential compression and possibly local tensile stresses are relevant for buckling failure as well as repeat loading cycles.

Soldato
The French guy had been down before and was a deep sea diving expert. Hamish is described as a pilot, skydiver, astronaut.

We get it, you don't do risk or understand doing dangerous things for the thrill :p

Look at the people who die base jumping or those extreme selfies. They're adrenaline junkies and it wouldn't be such a thrill if it wasn't dangerous.
Yeah, I see both sides. applying normal regulated industry mindsets to experimental stuff like this trying to make something economically viable for extreme tourism is going to boil your blood...

I guarantee that if they advertised a one way trip to mars tomorrow for £2m in a fred in a shed designed space craft that had a faint whiff of making it, they'd have people queuing around the block..

It looks like it was not a pure cylinder with that particular rear fairing. Also connection details between the components would be critical. Combinations of axial and circumferential compression and possibly local tensile stresses are relevant for buckling failure as well as repeat loading cycles.
It is a cylinder with 2 titanium end caps bonded to either end.. The rear fairing houses the external unpressurised components and made to look 'sleek'..
kcER4SU.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime

But if you've got a choice between a parachute that's certified or one that's only been tried a few times and has no design certification *at all*... Just because you're a thrill seeker doesn't mean you don't try to maximise your chances of staying alive...

Given how quickly the news came out about safety concerns, I'm a bit surprised these billionaire tourists either didn't know about it or chose basically to go with the cowboy outfit/lowest bidder type.

Soldato

It’s literally why the wireless controller was good though, less pierce points. I think the tail fairing is just that, cladding to assist direction stability and not part of the vessel, ultimately its final role was an ID tag.

Suspended
Sad. The video I just saw about the CEO loving the way the acrylic screen crackles at depth… just screams fatigue failure to me. Ie change every dive. The collapse at that pressure could be over in 30ms and temperature as hot as the sun.

The carbon fibre surely is insulation too, no pressure vessel with the pressure hogher outside would rely on that. Carbon needs to be in tension . Filament wound fuselage like a 787 Dreamliner is for pressure inside. With outside pressure the forces are compressive so only really as strong as the plastic compound binding the fibres.

When I'd just graduated I did some work with a subsea pipeline company and we were experimenting with cf tapes in place of steel tensile members. A roll of the stuff was £25k. One went missing one day and we found one of the r and d lads had repaired a tear in his bike seat with it. The bit of tape was probably worth more than the bike!
However yes, tension good. Compression definitely less so.

Back
Top Bottom