Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
They use wireless Bluetooth technology cos they can't use physical wires with cable connectors due to the pressure. Connectors will fold in.

bluetooth has very limited range under water so presumably whatever it is speaking to outside hull is close
(my bluetooth heartrate monitor for swimming only updates the watch fully at end of exercise)

BBC video discussed 24 hours dissolving connections on ballast weights

Associate
would it not at least have an emergency release bouy to send a balloon to the surface and then transmit the last known position of the sub? if not then that seems a huge missing safety feature. (also with a copy of all data on the black box which it must surely have at the point of release)

the more i think about it the more i think it had to be a catestrophic fail otherwise surely they would either have done emergency ascent or sent up a distress bouy as mentioned in line above.
at 6000psi it's not just a case of inflating a balloon, I'd imagine any buoyant device would have to be immensely strong , not to mention the force required to remove air/water from it to provide the differential buoyancy

Soldato
I wouldn't go on that contraption even if they paid me. What a way to go. Why did that billionaire cheap out. This takes “taking your money to your grave“ to another level.

Permabanned
The submersible's insurance company will be crossing fingers and toes and checking with forlorn hope that the diving company forgot to dot an i or cross a t when submitting documents.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it had done multiple successful missions over the last couple of years then it wasn't *that* dodgy tbf.

I'd risk it, same as I'd risk going up in a rocket.

Yeah, stuff like this is usually more functional than "pretty". Hell look at a space rocket. It never looks cool like you see in movies. There's usually wires and stuff dangling all over the place!

Man of Honour
Yeah, stuff like this is usually more functional than "pretty". Hell look at a space rocket. It never looks cool like you see in movies. There's usually wires and stuff dangling all over the place!
Especially if its a Russian space rocket, I'm sure that Russia watched a lot of Blue Peter in the 70s and 80s and made all their space vehicles out of toilet rolls and sticky backed plastic.

Soldato
If it had done multiple successful missions over the last couple of years then it wasn't *that* dodgy tbf.

I'd risk it, same as I'd risk going up in a rocket.
Would you risk it to see what they're seeing ? I find it odd paying £250k(or $) to see the steel grave of 1500 people, just to be there vs seeing what's already been captured (recorded) over the years. It's like some weird voyeurism. It funds the scientist visits but not even sure why those are even needed now?

Soldato
at 6000psi it's not just a case of inflating a balloon, I'd imagine any buoyant device would have to be immensely strong , not to mention the force required to remove air/water from it to provide the differential buoyancy
I used the term balloon "lightly" though something which as it ascended could either release pressure or be incredibly strong to survive the ascent.

i find it hightly doubtful it isnt possible to have an auto deploy emergency beacon incase of an issue. but i am no expert so if you are saying this is impossible and you do know a bit about it then fair enough

Last edited:
Soldato
Would you risk it to see what they're seeing ? I find it odd paying £250k(or $) to see the steel grave of 1500 people, just to be there vs seeing what's already been captured (recorded) over the years. It's like some weird voyeurism. It funds the scientist visits but not even sure why those are even needed now?

I dont get why you would wanna be confined in such small area and really deep stuff of nightmares when we have so much video footage of the wreck

Back
Top Bottom