Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Man of Honour
It had suffered damage a couple of times in the past, including cyclic fatigue to the hull in 2020. Could well be related.

Soldato
I posted these before, time to do so again.

When a submarine implodes, a variety of fairly ugly things will happen to the crew. If we assume that a pressure hull implodes at 2000 feet (~60 atmospheres), the pressure will increase from 14.7 to about 875 PSI almost instantly. In the parts of the submarine that have volumes of trapped air, it would be like being inside a diesel engine cylinder when begins its compression stroke.

Anything flammable would burst into flames until a huge wall of water slams into the area and snuffs it out again. The impact of the water would cause significant injury to anyone unlucky enough to still be alive and there would be no time to suffer the effects of oxygen poisoning or anything else.

As others have stated, most human tissues are fluid-filled and are for the most part, incompressible. Human lungs and sinuses would be crushed instantly and the immense shock would render them unconscious immediately. Of greater concern would be the surge of incoming seawater, bulkheads, decks, heavy equipment, motors and other random bits of equipment being slammed into the crew at high velocity.

Essentially, the crew would be killed several times over in less than a blink of an eye.

According to several articles about the loss of the Scorpion, when the pressure hull failed, water entering the hull was moving at supersonic speeds and had filled the entire space in within 100 milliseconds.

The collapse produced with a force equivalent to 6000 kg of TNT.

When a submarine exceed its crush depth, and finally implodes, the water rushes in at 200 tons per square inch (or more) at thousands of miles an hour. Everything in the submarine disintegrates into a thousand pieces in an instant. One moment the crew is alive, the next, they are not. No time to think - just <POOF> gone. No time to feel anything - just >POOF< gone. No time to worry - just <POOF> gone

No one in the crew will even have time to think ‘uh oh… this is it’ or even ‘uh oh’. They won’t even have time for their eyes to relay messages to their brain of the ship disintegrating in front of them before they are gone. Here one instant, not there the next.

As a former reactor operator aboard SSN-595 originally designated Thresher class but changed to Permit class after the Thresher sinking, if I remember my physics this is what happens when the hull implodes.

Remember how a tire pump heats up as you inflate your bike tire? That's what occurs when the water rushes in at tremendous velocity. The air heats up to hundreds of degrees in a millisecond burning you alive just to extinguish you within that same second.

That acoustic signal originated near 46-10S, 59-42W at 1358Z (GMT) on 15 November 2017. It was produced by the collapse (implosion) of the ARA SAN JUAN pressure-hull at a depth of 1275-feet. Sea pressure at the collapse depth was 570 PSI. The frequency of the collapse event signal (bubble-pulse) was about 4.4 Hz.

The energy released by the collapse was equal to the explosion of 12,500 pounds of TNT at the depth of 1275-feet. That energy was produced by the nearly instantaneous conversion of potential energy (sea-pressure) to kinetic energy, the motion of the intruding water-ram which entered the SAN JUAN pressure-hull at a speed of about 1800 mph.

The entire pressure-hull was completely destroyed (fragmented/compacted) in about 40 milliseconds (0.040s or 1/25th of a second), the duration of the compression phase of the collapse event which is half the minimum time required for cognitive recognition of an event.

Although the crew may have known collapse was imminent, they never knew it was occurring. They did not drown or experience pain. Death was instantaneous.

****, me.

Soldato
OP
So this would be a better way to die than being eaten by a shark right?

There is no better way to die is there really.

But I suppose the worry of death comes from the empathy element of it. We mentally put ourselves in the mind of the individual dying, but with the knowledge of how they died.

In this case the crew would have likely had no knowledge of it, but that is hard to imagine so I think most people would slow the event down in their minds and think you would feel it somehow.

Permabanned
It had suffered damage a couple of times in the past, including cyclic fatigue to the hull in 2020. Could well be related.

Lots of info has come out, even an ex-employee said it's not capable of reaching those depths and they fired him. Says it all really...

Last edited:
Associate
We don't actually know when the implosion occurred though. I mean it's possible they were there at the bottom for a day or so without power while the hull integrity slowly diminished.

No chance of ever knowing I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We don't actually know when the implosion occurred though. I mean it's possible they were there at the bottom for a day or so without power while the hull integrity slowly diminished.

Unlikely though, it most likely happened at the instant contact was lost.

Anyone know about this documentary, just seems to be a quiz show on 5.

Soldato

They lost contact on the way down and debris is under that position so it imploded on the way down, they never saw the Titanic.

Soldato
This is what one atmosphere of pressure can do. Imagine what it's like at when the water pressure is equivalent to 375 times atmospheric pressure, 3,800m down

Jump forward to 1:20 if all you want to see is the implosion.

Talking about implosions, this video linked below, I saw it around the time it was posted and it always comes to mind when i think about fluid crushing objects via pressure.

10+ years and it has stuck with me.

Last edited:
Soldato

Everything aligns with it imploding in the water column before it got to the Titanic (i.e on the way down) according to the experts..

The Sonars that where deployed soon after did not pick up anything and would have easily heard an implosion..

Back
Top Bottom