Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
We don't actually know when the implosion occurred though. I mean it's possible they were there at the bottom for a day or so without power while the hull integrity slowly diminished.

No chance of ever knowing I guess.

The distance and size of the debris field away from the Titanic suggests it happened higher up than on the sea bed.

My question would be did the glue seam bonding the titanium rings to the carbon fibre fail, as the two materials would compress differently.

Last edited:
Soldato
agree
As I thought the end bells are intact and the carbon fibre hull imploded because it wasn't up to the job.
press conference didn't say that - the glued interface could have been failure point - they haven't said if the data from the hull strain gauges may have been preserved in a black box (there must have been electronic components that were somehow working outside of the hull - an ssd resin encapsulated ???)

they must have modified c5 programme since they were aware of ongoing revelations

Associate
Why spend 250k to see the wreck of the titanic through a tiny window when you can just watch the 25th anniversary edition in 4k in the comfort of your home. Or even the VR game:

ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2IyMzI2MGIyLTIwZDEtNDUyNS1hZjJiLTViNTg3MDA1NTQxMy5qcGc=

Rip to those who perished.

VR goggles and a copy of Titanic?

There's only one scene he's watching.

Soldato
BBC Documentary from previous expeditions. Got it off reddit, yes they have their own dedicated subreddit for this subject. Might also be on Iplayer, not sure.

Watching this now, that could have been a very very different documentary, cameras recording a tragedy unfold, but you can tell they were running a cowboy operation when the thruster wouldn't work, instead of getting the sub upto the surface to fix the issue, they bodged a solution on the fly while they had their tourists on board, "left and right might be forward and back, I dunno" words from the CEO while his faulty sub is at 4,000 metres under the ocean :cry:

Soldato
The distance and size of the debris field away from the Titanic suggests it happened higher up than on the sea bed.

My question would be did the glue seam bonding the titanium rings to the carbon fibre fail, as the two materials would compress differently.

I also have a question, norm. Do you think they also used Google Pixel buds to communicate with the surface, as well as using a Logitech game controller to steer?

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting to read about sub design for mariana trench dives 1960
To withstand the enormous pressure of 1,250 kilograms per square centimetre (123 MPa) at the bottom of Challenger Deep, the sphere's walls were 12.7 centimetres (5.0 in) thick; it was over-designed to withstand considerably more than the rated pressure. The sphere weighed 14.25 metric tons (31,400 pounds) in air and eight metric tons (18,000 pounds) in water giving it an average specific gravity of 13÷(13−8) = 2.6 times that of seawater. The float was necessary because of the sphere's density: it was impossible to design a sphere large enough to hold a person that could withstand the necessary pressures and have metal walls thin enough for the sphere to be neutrally buoyant. Gasoline was chosen as the float fluid because it is less dense than water and also less compressible, thus retaining its buoyant properties and negating the need for thick, heavy walls for the float chamber.

Caporegime
So presumably they would have died from the implosion and it would have been instant and painless ? Or would there be a short period of time where they actually aware what was happening ?
Google the physics of an implosion at that depth.

Basically, they’d - thankfully given the alternative we’ve all been thinking these last few days of their oxygen supply slowly depleting - have known nothing about it.

Ultimately they knew or at least should have known the risks, we’re fulfilling a dream (why else pay so much for the trip?) and wouldn’t have suffered at all, thankfully.

R.I.P.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom