Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Man of Honour
I do wonder if there were any signs that something was about to go wrong - moments before it did? Carbon doesn't creak I don't think? It's fine - then it’s shattered, right?

But, but it was covered in sensors or so it was reported.

The media circus is getting ridiculous trotting out anyone for interviews who might have some tenuous link to the Titanic most of whom have nothing to add.

Standard poor journalism

Soldato
I do wonder if there were any signs that something was about to go wrong - moments before it did? Carbon doesn't creak I don't think? It's fine - then its shattered, right?
Well they supposedly had some sort of hull monitoring system which I guess could have alerted them to an issue. Which would tally with what James Cameron and the other fella who found the Titanics theory that they’d released the ballast.

That whole monitoring idea feels flawed to be honest. What sort of notice of a catastrophic failure are you likely to get? If it goes off when you’re at the bottom you can’t just teleport to the surface!

Soldato
Well they supposedly had some sort of hull monitoring system which I guess could have alerted them to an issue. Which would tally with what James Cameron and the other fella who found the Titanics theory that they’d released the ballast.

That whole monitoring idea feels flawed to be honest. What sort of notice of a catastrophic failure are you likely to get? If it goes off when you’re at the bottom you can’t just teleport to the surface!

The Trieste crew had the ass puckering experience of hearing and seeing their window crack at 9000m down.

Then they got over it and continued another 2000m :eek:

Soldato
I’ve been following this and I’m truly lost for words.

It seems common sense does not exist anymore and individuals will risk everything for their “ego”.

As much as I think the Titanic was a beautiful ship, I do feel it needs to be left alone now.

Soldato
I am more dumfounded that all this media footage, these interviews and docs surrounded this company and sub, yet people chose to sign a waiver that cited three possible causes of death, pay £250k and get inside this thing, without questioning anything.
It’s part of a wider theme where people with too much money assume they can buy experiences where the barrier to entry is not just financial (eg climbing Everest). People get in to these things with no real appreciation of the risks involved. Hard to say they are giving informed consent when they sign waivers.

Back
Top Bottom