Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Caporegime
More on this astonishing revelation here...

The mind boggles at this sort of stuff.

Using parts that arent rated for even a third of the depth you intend to go down to!!

Soldato
I hope the families take comfort in that it would have been quick.

its been down to the titanic 3 times before and remained intact

you cant just say "clearly wasnt up to the job"

So less successful then the de Havilland Comet 1? I wouldn't fly on an original one of those...

I wouldnt like to be in the submarine excursion industry right now...

I wouldn't want to be a current or past employee of Oceangate or any of their main contractors. I expect the other operators will make a much bigger thing of safety standards and external verification, this should be a big wake up call for the industry about the risks and how they go about mitigating them, so it should be even safer going forward.

Caporegime
I wouldn't want to be a current or past employee of Oceangate or any of their main contractors. I expect the other operators will make a much bigger thing of safety standards and external verification, this should be a big wake up call for the industry about the risks and how they go about mitigating them, so it should be even safer going forward.

Hopefully. I can imagine there wont be much appetite for going in submarines recreationally for a little while though!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just trying to catch up with the latest news. Did the pressure chamber they were in just crush into a much smaller size or did it explode into thousands of pieces?
It was carbon fibre, so unlike other solid materials that collapse/bend etc, CF can literally shatter into pieces leaving no trace behind of an original shape. If they find the Titanium end caps then that will basically confirm the hull itself is nowhere to be found.

Some reports of sharks being seen in the area around the margin time frame too, so if the CF shattered leaving them wounded and exposed, sharks would smell that from miles away and swoop in.

Pretty grim.

Last edited:
Associate
James Cameron told BBC News the past week had "felt like a prolonged and nightmarish charade where people are running around talking about banging noises and talking about oxygen and all this other stuff".

Basically this. News should be ashamed for turning it into a farce and to an extent all of us for getting our "fix"

Man of Honour
It was carbon fibre, so unlike other solid materials that collapse/bend etc, CF can literally shatter into pieces leaving no trace behind of an original shape.

Some reports of sharks being seen in the area around the margin time frame too, so if the CF shattered leaving them wounded and exposed, sharks would smell that from miles away and swoop in.

Pretty grim.

I thought the pressure would have killed them instantly? Whether they were inside the collapsed tube or somehow, in the water

Soldato
The authorities ought to be raiding the homes and offices of that company to secure documentation before anyone is tempted to delete / shred who knew what.

I bet the waiver didn't mention the viewport certification for example.

Appears based on the article above that Rush ruled the roost counter to anyone else's professional opinion or certifications. People were probably in fear of loosing their jobs but some are probably guilty of various wrong doings.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I thought the pressure would have killed them instantly? Whether they were inside the collapsed tube or somehow, in the water
Most likely I guess, and the news interviews etc people are stating catastrophic implosion and most are thinking about it in terms of normal subs made of metal - I guess nobody can really say for sure because this sub was the first to use a CF hull and the first to fail this way since there's no trial and error testing record to show what happens when one does implode.

Soldato
Pic for scale of the depth
1687468030470296-png.479309

Soldato
The authorities ought to be raiding the homes and offices of that company to secure documentation before anyone is tempted to delete / shred who knew what.

I bet the waiver didn't mention the viewport certification for example.

Appears based on the article above that Rush ruled the roost counter to anyone else's professional opinion or certifications. People were probably in fear of loosing their jobs but some are probably guilty of various wrong doings.

First someone would have to work out if they did anything that the authorities care about.

Dead people is not evidence that a law exists to prevent that sequence of events.

Some generic blaming is always possible but that's a civil matter.

Soldato
Most likely I guess, and the news interviews etc people are stating catastrophic implosion and most are thinking about it in terms of normal subs made of metal - I guess nobody can really say for sure because this sub was the first to use a CF hull and the first to fail this way since there's no trial and error testing record to show what happens when one does implode.

This explains what would have happened - regardless of the hull being steal or CF I believe:

Back
Top Bottom