Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Caporegime
every cloud has a silver lining and all that

Holy crap, that article really does prove my theory already and it makes for some pretty grim reading. That bloke should never have been allowed anywhere near any other people with his contraption. That thing should've been flung in the ocean with no one in it and left there.

Soldato
I remember watching a lot of Titanic shows with my dad about Robert Ballard and Alvin. It was such an awesome machine. Nearly 5000 dives is mental! Sounds worlds away from this thing that's lost... What was the name of Alvin's remote control vehicle? I can't find it but i kind of remember Alvin had a partner vehicle.
Think it was either Simon or Theodor

Caporegime
They have multiple controllers onboard as backups. So unlikely.

No, let's correct this statement:

"They claim to have many controllers as backups". As per my earlier post:

According to his video there are a few backups on board, which he doesn't show, and then flings the existing one on the sub floor to prove how tough they are. Assuming he's not talking rubbish, are they fully charged? Have they been synced to the external systems? It's not like he can just stick his hand out and start the pairing process. Assuming he's got all that covered, has Bluetooth ever been specced to work at 4km under water, through a foot of carbon fibre and titanium? What's the signal like?

I think you're being extremely naive if you think this man was open and honest about all his shenanigans. His Toys'R'Us sub was a disaster waiting to happen.

Man of Honour
This guy screams dreamer with far too much confidence and not enough experience or education in the field.
You're probably not wrong there, he was the youngest jet pilot in the world at 19 and was a member of the test program for the F-15 but most of his experience is with jets and flight rather than submersibles.

Soldato
It may work fine but isn't exactly confidence inspiring. I'd expect something completely bespoke for that kind of money. To me it smacks of the general lack of thought that's gone into the project.

This guy screams dreamer with far too much confidence and not enough experience or education in the field.

Both fair points and I concur that the whole operation does look like a mucky mouse show.

Soldato
I'm no expert on submarines/submersibles, but by the sounds of things, this craft isn't powered and basically just sinks, then resurfaces by releasing ballast. From what I gather, the control basically allows a bit of manoeuvring on the descent.

I presume there is a boat on the surface, which it launches from?

Would it not have made sense/been possible for a cable/winch system attached to it? Or would the length/weight be too much?

Last edited:
Soldato
It said they lost contact with the sub an hour into the journey, so it's either electrical issue or the sub has imploded, discussing the $30 controller is pointless if there's no electricity or even a sub to control

Man of Honour
I remember watching a lot of Titanic shows with my dad about Robert Ballard and Alvin. It was such an awesome machine. Nearly 5000 dives is mental! Sounds worlds away from this thing that's lost... What was the name of Alvin's remote control vehicle? I can't find it but i kind of remember Alvin had a partner vehicle.
I am a huge fan of Bob Ballard, Alvins partner vehicle was called Jason

Soldato
I am a huge fan of Bob Ballard, Alvins partner vehicle was called Jason
YES!! That was it! Thanks. :) I need to try and find those old documentaries. I really do wish he took just one small artefact from the site though, just to stop all the removals since. :( (I completely understand why he didn't though.)

Caporegime
You think it isn't modified?

Amazing the amount of deep sea diving experts on OCUK.

I think the modification is the 3d printed tat stuck on it and that's it. I suspect it's never seen a screwdriver.

I'm not even remotely an expert on deep sea diving, but I can smell a dreamer a mile off and this guy has all those vibes, even his own press release complaining and trying to justify why his vessel wasn't properly classed:

I suspect the true story is that the people who class these things laughed at him and told him they wouldn't go near it with a barge pole.

Associate
The scary thing about this is, they're sealed inside, they can only get out if people find it and release the bolts, I think that would be worse than being stuck on the bottom or crushed

Agreed, it’s terrifying to think that it could have surfaced and they could still run out of oxygen by not being able to release that forward sphere hatch. Not the same situation, but the Apollo 1 launchpad fire comes to mind. The exit hatch was completely redesigned so that it could be opened from the inside. Perhaps in the case of this submersible, explosive bolts for emergency release would have been a good idea?

There is so much knowledge available now, and so many hard and very valuable lessons have been learned in past sea, air and space endeavours over the last century. It feels like many of these design principles have been thrown out of the window. Over confidence has perhaps emerged as a very real threat in the context of these type of billionaire funded endeavours.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
YES!! That was it! Thanks. :) I need to try and find those old documentaries. I really do wish he took just one small artefact from the site though, just to stop all the removals since. :( (I completely understand why he didn't though.)
His Titanic expedition was impressive but the one which really blew me away was when he found the Bismark (even deeper than the Titanic)

Soldato
Surely everything you know or want to know about this craft is irrelevant. If its not coming back up, then it's either destroyed or broken. Which leaves only one option. Try to recover it? Is that being done? If it's not feasible from that depth then the answer to what's gona happen to them is obvious.

Last edited:
Commissario
OceanGate’s submersibles are the only known vessels to use real-time (RTM) hull health monitoring. With this RTM system, we can determine if the hull is compromised well before situations become life-threatening, and safely return to the surface. This innovative safety system is not currently covered by any classing agency.

That aged well. Taken from here.

Back
Top Bottom