Tomb Raider 2: Rise of the Tomb Raider Announced

V F

V F

Soldato
What difficulty are people playing this on? I also hate these damn wolves in the caves and when you kill them more seem to spawn outside...

Soldato
Normal for me, although I'm finding resources are far too plentiful to the point that I'm having to leave stuff behind a lot of the time. That said, the combat is still a bit tricky at times but I think that's less down to the difficulty and more down to some poor game design. Grenade spam is rife and the dynamic cover system feels less solid than the previous game.

I'm disappointed with the story in this one, it's better than the previous game but still rather unremarkable and really quite bleak. Lara keeps stumbling across these amazing finds but there's no feeling of triumph to it because the place inevitably caves in minutes after she arrives. She seldom has anything interesting to say, she feels sorry for herself constantly and she's completely devoid of humour. I'm trying as best I can to avoid the obvious comparison but I really had hoped they'd do something about her personality with this one given she's now a more confident, experienced woman than last time.

Fortunately the gameplay is mostly quite solid and the exploration is even better than in TR, with some of the environments having quite a lot to come back to discover at a later time.

Soldato
What difficulty are people playing this on? I also hate these damn wolves in the caves and when you kill them more seem to spawn outside...

I've been playing on normal (think the mode says "Tomb Raider").

Had no issues really until I reached the part where you are being rushed by half a dozen armor wearing heavies and at that point had to knock the difficulty down (I just dont have the patience or apparent skill to work out how to defeat them with the bow and arrow (In fairness, combat is not what I come to Tomb Raider for, and could honestly do without it)

and the regular interruptions to listen to a monologue by some character who left behind a journal or whatever get a bit tiring, especially when Lara has nothing to say about them herself a lot of the time.

tbh, at this point I've stopped paying attention to them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Started this earlier today, enjoying it so far. Looks great, level design is very nice and the character animations (particularly faces) are much better than the previous one.

Storyline isn't particularly compelling but it's just getting started, and the regular interruptions to listen to a monologue by some character who left behind a journal or whatever get a bit tiring, especially when Lara has nothing to say about them herself a lot of the time.

It doesn't get better in all honesty. It's the worst TR I have played. The story is just awful and dull and by the end I could wait for it to finish. It looks great, it plays awful. The last one was better, the combat in this one is beyond pap. Challenges and anything remotely puzzling is tedious.

In fact I think the first TR on the 360 is a better game. It's a fun game for about an hour.

V F

V F

Soldato
The aiming feels weird in this compared to Uncharted 4 so I had to up the sensitivity. Sadly though last night once I changed this it has started making me feel queasy. It has felt a bit different since 1.04.

Caporegime
The aiming feels weird in this compared to Uncharted 4 so I had to up the sensitivity. Sadly though last night once I changed this it has started making me feel queasy. It has felt a bit different since 1.04.

Same but I just put it down to a long lay off from gaming. This was the first game in a long while where I have suffered feeling sick.

Soldato
It doesn't get better in all honesty. It's the worst TR I have played. The story is just awful and dull and by the end I could wait for it to finish. It looks great, it plays awful. The last one was better, the combat in this one is beyond pap. Challenges and anything remotely puzzling is tedious.

In fact I think the first TR on the 360 is a better game. It's a fun game for about an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCO8R_qZ-cA

Yeah didn't think much of this latest TR.. in fact only liked the early ones TR1 and TR2 way back.

V F

V F

Soldato
Same but I just put it down to a long lay off from gaming. This was the first game in a long while where I have suffered feeling sick.

I think I may have been feeling off that night as well. Been playing this the last several nights 2 - 3 hours a time and didn't feel weird.

Though damn! The graphics, the lighting. Gorgeous! Some battles felt a bit like Uncharted in the snow as well as the fire scenes. Loved it. Finally got all the parts to use the compound. The fire scenes and battles were lovely. Reminded me of Uncharted 3.
The witch scene was downright creepy, the way they done the fast moving character ghosting about in the woods. Those damn posessed wolves. Thank god they died from one shot.

While the game doesn't have any intense story to draw you in it sure is a work of art. Uncharted 4 and Rise equally blows me away. Maybe some scenes edges out over Uncharted. Glad I own both to be honest.

Soldato
I dunno, I thought the same until I went back and watched some captured footage I had of Uncharted 4 and it's clear that U4 is visually superior in almost every way, especially the character models, facial animations, movement etc. Not that Rise isn't a great looking game, of course, but there was still room for a little more polish.

Associate
UC4 i thought was complete pap to the series i hate the janky movements of it and it felt like it was just pushing you along too quickly where something of the same
the last of us didn't have as smuch variation but it felt more involving with the environment it had set haven't actually been a fan of UC really so I'm unbiased.

Rise of the tomb raider i actually enjoyed a lot i thought they got the combat and puzzles in the tombs spot on and it justified levelling up to come back where you had to equip other items to access the tombs.

Actually thinking of picking up TLOU and TR again now i have a pro and when i finally get a new 4K panel.

V F

V F

Soldato
One thing that really cheeses me off is Rise has no photo mode. How can a game that is so stunning as this have no photo mode. It is criminal.

V F

V F

Soldato
Is Tomb Raider like Uncharted once you've finished the story you can clean up all the collectables? I'm looking forward to replaying this on extreme survivor.

Wrapped up at the last check point before the finale. Continue or chase down the witch? Really soaking up every minute of this game. :D

The game feels like Uncharted 2 at times which is freakily cool. The samurai type guardians with the same blue flames.

Soldato
Yeah, once the story ends you can "Continue", at which point you get a very short cutscene with a certain character and then you can free-roam the map to get any leftovers, do any tombs etc.

Lara's Mansion is worth a playthrough too, although it wasn't anything amazing and Camilla Luddington clearly phoned her performance in the day they recorded the dialogue for it. She sounds like she's reading the script for the first time.

V F

V F

Soldato
The thing I love the most about this game is all the cool weapons you build and keep. Same with the climbing arrows. The underwater stealth fights were quite cool.

I still need to get that shotgun in the Soviet cabin up in the rocks and a few extra tools.

Some amount of travelling in this game. Geothermal Valley was pretty cool and the night fighting. If only they were even bigger and more of them. I hope when the PS5 ever materialises that maps can be so big you forget areas. These games are never long enough.
Also loved the traps you could set once you've taken down enemies as you set off attractions to lure them to investigate. Double or triple kills. While scurrying/creeping around knifing/leaping on others.

Some amount of crazy battles I had as well as the amount that flood in. Even though there is no immersed story the game really is a commando type game which is very cool. Love all the different outfits as well with bonus help. The level design is pretty impressive as well especially the build up to and in below the glacier city.

Soldato
I just frequently got the impression that the people who wrote the narrative had no input into the gameplay and vice-versa. The two were never really at the same pace, you'd get weird moments where you're being encouraged to make haste to a point on a map for the story ("Where are you Lara, we're waiting!" he says over the radio for the third time in 10 minutes), yet easily distracted by 5 different types of collectibles, 3 hidden tombs and a side-mission from some guy who wants you to find a crow or something.

The game itself was quite good, but they should have created a narrative that was built around that type of non-linear exploring and the associated gameplay mechanics.

V F

V F

Soldato
Why no dual pistols?

Sometimes I cannot get over thinking how it has been twenty years. I've never played every Tomb Raider. Think I only have 3 of the games but I remember seeing Tomb Raider in 1996 how square and pointed everything was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom