Too many credit cards? aka "The Credit Card thread"

This thread:
Hey do you want to earn rewards like cashback on money you were going to spend anyway, plus get protection on your spending well above what a debit card provides and with no additional cost if you pay it off in full each month?

No thank you, that sounds awful.
Exactly its not about buying on the never never and whether you can afford to buy it. Its just a tool to take advantage making sure to pay off before being charged any interest.

I think i have 6 CCs?
-amex (every day spending, paid off monthly)
-tesco (for where amex doesn't work)
-old Nat West I keep at 0
-santander with a BT 0pc with some credit used
- virgin same as santander
-barclaycard that I'm about to shift the balance from virgin to, and I'll terminate the virgin (nothing sinister! :D )

I know my total credit limit is 50k. Which is ridiculous!

From what I gather
-keep enough CCs to keep your credir balance under 25 percent
-always keep 1 or 2. 1 with zero balance is no bad thing. It shows you have credit and don't need it.
-keep the oldest one and get rid of more. Recent ones.

Last edited:
To be honest asking the question "is 8 credit cards too many?" is a pretty self-evident response. Pretty much anyone sane is going to say yes lol!

Even as someone who likes using them, I would only have 2-3 tops at once. At the moment I just have 1.
Tbh it catches you off guard. You should only be signing up to them if they have a purpose...ex:

AMEX - Everyday spends 1.25% cashback + tonnes of great cashback offers

^ these have generally always been cashback against actual purchases (i.e. not new spend incentivised by offers).

MBNA - 0% for 2 years (I do minimum payment then put a top-up equivalent to total balance /24 months...23....22....etc)

Amazon - Was like 2% on Amazon but binned.

BarclayCard Rewards - Cashback on non-AMEX + travel

Clydesdale - 0% for 2 years. This one was lol as it said "what do you want your credit limit to be?" and the default value was £10k so I just clicked next and it was like "sure here you go, £10k".

Edit: Thanks @montymint

Last edited:
In theory you can use 0% to gain interest and then pay it back for a profit, but if I don't need 0% for anything in particular I personally wouldn't, pretty happy with the everyday one from Amex (I have the same 1.25% cashback). This works in almost every place I spend money, and if not then Paypal covers a lot of places as well.

8 is certainly too many though for most people, especially if none of them have a unique purpose such as 0% offers.

In theory you can use 0% to gain interest and then pay it back for a profit, but if I don't need 0% for anything in particular I personally wouldn't, pretty happy with the everyday one from Amex (I have the same 1.25% cashback). This works in almost every place I spend money, and if not then Paypal covers a lot of places as well.

8 is certainly too many though for most people, especially if none of them have a unique purpose such as 0% offers.
For sure - I use 2 of my 0%'s to gain interest "by proxy" of managing it well, ex:

Home loan (I forgot to mention this one, £5k on an M&S card) - I divide balance by months remaining and pay the "top-up" to the minimum payment into Chase where I get 3%. Same on my MBNA which was something else spenny.

GAeFh43.png

For sure - I use 2 of my 0%'s to gain interest "by proxy" of managing it well, ex:

Home loan (I forgot to mention this one, £5k on an M&S card) - I divide balance by months remaining and pay the "top-up" to the minimum payment into Chase where I get 3%. Same on my MBNA which was something else spenny.

GAeFh43.png
Here's mine

GAeFh43.png

Yeah even taking 5k out and sticking it in a 5pc than bouncing that 5k from card to card can net a little cash.
That would be 250 cash a year for 0 cost

Last edited:
Well it's obviously not unlimited.
And its fairly basic maths that it's a free 250 for Every year you had it in a 5pc fixed bond.
After tax around £125 assuming you've exceeded your £1000 a year allowance.

There's more chance of becoming a millionaire not having a credit card than having a credit card and earning £125 a year. Facts.

There's a lad on MSE that had 64k bouncing around on 0% cards/BT tricks. It can become a sizeable passive income!

Ooft. That's brave!
Has just made me think about doing it. But bouncing around that much would be a lot of work. Timing. New applications etc. But with rates like they are now? Not a bad idea!

Back
Top Bottom