• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Top 5 Best CPU's

Caporegime
Best Budget: Ryzen 2200G.
Best Value All-rounder: Ryzen 2600.
Best Value Productivity: Ryzen 2700X.
Best Performance Gaming: Intel 8700K.
Best HEDT: Ryzen Threadripper 1950X.

I think that's spot on Steve.

Soldato
surprised i3 8350k isn't on there as technically its intels best performance to dollar chip they have released in a long time! £50+ cheaper then i5 66/7600k at launch

Caporegime
OP
surprised i3 8350k isn't on there as technically its intels best performance to dollar chip they have released in a long time! £50+ cheaper then i5 66/7600k at launch

Intel aren't in competition with themselves anymore tho :)

Good results for AMD,

What was he on about when he said Intel may soon drop support for the 8th Gen?

Yeah i was thinking the same thing, anyone know what this is about?

Soldato

8400 is better than i3 8350k it's cheaper and beats it at nearly everything.

If they had a budget gaming catagory I would think 8400 would win.

Caporegime
OP
The 8400 would only win if it was purely 1080P gaming on a GTX 1080TI and selectively Intel favored games.
The real world is nothing like that, in the real world people who buy a Ryzen 5 or Intel i5 are not running 1080TI's.

With that in mind the i5 is no better in real world gaming, with that said even the 8600K cannot keep pace with the 1600 in heavy CPU workloads let alone the Ryzen 2600 vs 8400, the 2600 completely smokes it while its very close in gaming even if you are using a 1080TI at 1080P, its actually give and take. this is why it is "Best Value All-rounder".

Last edited:
Associate
The 8400 would only win if it was purely 1080P gaming on a GTX 1080TI and selectively Intel favored games.
The real world is nothing like that, in the real world people who buy a Ryzen 5 or Intel i5 are not running 1080TI's.

With that in mind the i5 is no better in real world gaming, with that said even the 8600K cannot keep pace with the 1600 in heavy CPU workloads let alone the Ryzen 2600 vs 8400, the 2600 completely smokes it while its very close in gaming even if you are using a 1080TI at 1080P, its actually give and take. this is why it is "Best Value All-rounder".
Just sold an R5 and bought an 8600K because I'm sick of having my 1080ti bottlenecked by a poor gaming cpu. Pretty sure I'm in the real world.

Caporegime
OP
Just sold an R5 and bought an 8600K because I'm sick of having my 1080ti bottlenecked by a poor gaming cpu. Pretty sure I'm in the real world.

Someone like you should have gone 8600K or better yet 8700K to start with. Its what i would always recommend for that higher end GPU.

Its as he says if you have a 1080TI and are looking for the most possible frame rates what you want is the 8700K, thats why its the "Best Performance Gaming CPU" frankly it should not have been a surprise to you that a Ryzen 1600 was bottle necking your 1080TI.

Associate
Someone like you should have gone 8600K or better yet 8700K to start with. Its what i would always recommend for that higher end GPU.

Its as he says if you have a 1080TI and are looking for the most possible frame rates what you want is the 8700K, thats why its the "Best Performance Gaming CPU" frankly it should not have been a surprise to you that a Ryzen 1600 was bottle necking your 1080TI.

I didn't expect it to bottle neck a 1080ti at 3440x1440p.....

Caporegime
OP
Yeah i had similar issues with the 4690K at 3840x2160 and didn't think that was possible on a GTX 1070 but here i am having replaced it and the problem is gone.

Its why i would never recommend an i3 8350K for anything more than a GTX 1050TI.

I should add the higher the resolution the more pixels you're pushing, its not quite the same thing as running a low resolution and in that way making the CPU work harder at keeping up with the GPU, but running very high resolution also has an effect on the CPU, in different ways and to a lesser extent but it still matters.

I don't fully understand it but looking at enough comparative reviews shows a pattern of weaker CPU's also starting to struggle with very high resolutions.

Soldato
Love how you’ve used the word “value” to justify the “winners”. Without that word it would be a full Intel list.

Are AMD paying you or are you just super angry you backed the wrong horse?

Caporegime
OP
Love how you’ve used the word “value” to justify the “winners”. Without that word it would be a full Intel list.

Are AMD paying you or are you just super angry you backed the wrong horse?

i'm listing their conclusions in the terms they set, and your quite wrong, if a CPU by measuring it in multiple relevant aspects is better and cheaper, or around the same price, then it is the best value if another CPU is better but much more expensive.

For example the 8700K is in every way better than the 2600, however it costs nearly twice as much, the 2600 in the round is better than anything in its price range and not that much worse than the 8700K, in that its rightfully categorised as the "Best Value All-rounder"
Its better than the 8400, not as good as the 8700K but priced like the 8400.

Caporegime
OP
i'm listing their conclusions in the terms they set, and your quite wrong, if a CPU by measuring it in multiple relevant aspects is better and cheaper, or around the same price, then it is the best value if another CPU is better but much more expensive.

For example the 8700K is in every way better than the 2600, however it costs nearly twice as much, the 2600 in the round is better than anything in its price range and not that much worse than the 8700K, in that its rightfully categorised as the "Best Value All-rounder"
Its better than the 8400, not as good as the 8700K but priced like the 8400.

I'll put it another way, you wouldn't say its not fair because its not ignoring the cost and not ignoring everything that makes the opposition good, right?

If you ignore the cost and everything that anyone does on their computer other than playing games on a 1080TI then all you ever get is 8700K.

I'm not looking for a £350 CPU to power my GTX 1070 when the Ryzen 2600 or as it happens Ryzen 1600 does the job just as well as the 8700K, i also have hobbies that i use my computer for that do not involve gaming, there fore, because i'm unwilling to spend £350 on a CPU i'm looking at a more value orientated CPU, and because i do many different things with my computer including gaming i'm looking for the best All-rounder, 'that' when i bought it was the Ryzen 1600, its now the Ryzen 2600.

This CPU cost me £150, with the Motherboard it was £225, the same price as the 8600K on its own and the Ryzen 1600 is better in Blender and the 10 other 3D applications i use than the 8600K, oh i did not "back the wrong horse"

Last edited:
Permabanned
I can't remember having any gaming issues with my 1600x,

I've used it with a 1060, 480, 470 and a couple of different Vega 64's, all at 3440x1440.

At no point did I feel like my gaming was unplayable which should be what matters. Even now with my 480 and having to drop graphics there's nothing that doesn't look good & play well.

First World problems eh! :rolleyes:

:D

Soldato
The biggest argument you put forward in every thread you make about how totally awesome Ryzen is it’s value. Once it gets to real performance you get defensive and throw every excuse about the performance gap narrowing.

Right, we get it, you didn’t want to pay for an 8700K. Your constant onslaught of how AMD are just as good unless you want the best is tiring. Put the soap box away, I’m sure I could search YouTube and find an alternative video showing Intel as the equivalent top 5.

Your OTT ramblings about AMD are actually that bad you were a reason I second guessed my own attitude of Ryzen+ “take my money” to the point of researching hard and I ended up going Intel.

I’m still not convinced you aren’t on the AMD payroll or just have the amd logo in the brown smudge on your nose.

Caporegime
OP
The biggest argument you put forward in every thread you make about how totally awesome Ryzen is it’s value. Once it gets to real performance you get defensive and throw every excuse about the performance gap narrowing.

Right, we get it, you didn’t want to pay for an 8700K. Your constant onslaught of how AMD are just as good unless you want the best is tiring. Put the soap box away, I’m sure I could search YouTube and find an alternative video showing Intel as the equivalent top 5.

Your OTT ramblings about AMD are actually that bad you were a reason I second guessed my own attitude of Ryzen+ “take my money” to the point of researching hard and I ended up going Intel.

I’m still not convinced you aren’t on the AMD payroll or just have the amd logo in the brown smudge on your nose.

I'm a hardware enthusiast, i like debating it and since we only have two CPU vendors i have to chose one or the other based on its merits and with that explain my reasoning when owning one, i have no doubt that if i had chosen Intel we wouldn't be having this conversation, not that you see it as that, your attempt to assassinate me personally in an attempt to get me to shut up makes that perfectly clear.

It took you what, 3 posts to become a vile individual? people don't react like they belong in a nursery unless when presented with an argument they don't like but find difficult to challenge, i'm defiantly doing something right. And if that's who you are getting up your nose is no skin off mine, throw at me what you like.

I have been nothing but cordial. you are a hateful individual.

PS: you obviously haven't seen my reasoning for owning a GTX 1070 instead of Vega or anyother current AMD Graphics card :rolleyes:

All you haters can ###############

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom