• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Top 5 Best CPU's

Soldato
Yes the 8700k might well be currently the very best for spitting out frames but for what cost?
The chip itself is not cheep, you need really good cooling and to pass off the big 5Ghz + numbers you need to delid as well - plus is uses a shed load of power and gets hot a buggery and you still will only have 6 cores 12 threads down the line like i have with my 5820k.
Add in a dead end upgrade path and some dubious chip level security and well you really do have to want those last few fps really badly.

To top it all off you will only see big differences over other cpus in lower resolutions or where the video card is not a bottleneck. Yup well worth it folks.

If the video card is the bottleneck then you will not see a difference.

Soldato
Love how you’ve used the word “value” to justify the “winners”. Without that word it would be a full Intel list.

Are AMD paying you or are you just super angry you backed the wrong horse?

Do you have a domestic going on with humbug or do you have a different metric available.

Comparing price and performance is quite standard.

No ones stopping you showing your list and reasoning. Unless you've done no work and have nothing to show...?

Soldato
Lol is not Humbug's list just repeating what the Video he linked listed? therefore its not actually his list... this whole thread has everyone in a frenzy, its laughable.

Ironically though many sites are awarding the new AMD Ryzen+ chips best CPU's to buy right now in many many segments. Obviously for high FPS gaming with a 1080ti etc, 8700k still reigns supreme.

I wonder though what the defence will be next year if AMD pull out a 7nm Ryzen that clocks upwards of 4.8ghz and refines the existing performance? i wonder what the excuses will be then why AMD is still the inferior choice?

Caporegime
8400 is better than i3 8350k it's cheaper and beats it at nearly everything.

If they had a budget gaming catagory I would think 8400 would win.

its the sleeper that is probably the best bang for buck cpu about.just shows how stupid or biased most of these videos or whatever are.

Soldato
Lol is not Humbug's list just repeating what the Video he linked listed? therefore its not actually his list... this whole thread has everyone in a frenzy, its laughable.

Ironically though many sites are awarding the new AMD Ryzen+ chips best CPU's to buy right now in many many segments. Obviously for high FPS gaming with a 1080ti etc, 8700k still reigns supreme.

I wonder though what the defence will be next year if AMD pull out a 7nm Ryzen that clocks upwards of 4.8ghz and refines the existing performance? i wonder what the excuses will be then why AMD is still the inferior choice?
The memory is 42.358nano seconds quicker on 3 timings which make it better for gaymez

Soldato

Clockspeed alone won't help ryzen. The latency needs working on.

Associate
It's probably an area they are working on pretty hard. The biggest question is whether glofo can actually deliver on their 7nm targets, if they can then we're in for a really good time.

Soldato
Clockspeed alone won't help ryzen. The latency needs working on.

lol i knew you couldnt resist the bait ;)

Latency has already improved with Ryzen+ and thats with just tweaking the CPU design and some low hanging fruit wins, by all accounts Zen2 is quite significantly more redesign than the Ryzen+ refresh, thats from Jim Keller himself i believe.

I bought an R7 1700 and ive been blown away with how much better than my old 4770k it is, im tempted to jump to 2700X as thats even better.... this can only make you wonder how good Zen2 will be on 7nm, if they redesign to remove more latency and just shrink the rest then already that CPU is going to be a monster.

Soldato
Careful, saying things like this makes you an AMD fanboy around here, you'll get jumped on.

Im not bothered, unlike some who hide the fact they are a blatant fanboy with a motive to push their preferred brand, i openly admit i prefer AMD products, sure ive owned more Intel CPU's in the past few years, and currently run an Nvidia GPU. Thats because im not a blind fan boy and know where money is best put for performance etc, but yeah if its a matter of a few % performance, AMD for me will always be the goto option, usually they are cheaper too (pre Mining for GPU).

For me a balanced rig is more important than just having the max fps on a 60hz screen @ 1080p with a 1080ti etc as many people seem to think is the right thing to do lol.

Caporegime
OP
Im not bothered, unlike some who hide the fact they are a blatant fanboy with a motive to push their preferred brand, i openly admit i prefer AMD products, sure ive owned more Intel CPU's in the past few years, and currently run an Nvidia GPU. Thats because im not a blind fan boy and know where money is best put for performance etc, but yeah if its a matter of a few % performance, AMD for me will always be the goto option, usually they are cheaper too (pre Mining for GPU).

For me a balanced rig is more important than just having the max fps on a 60hz screen @ 1080p with a 1080ti etc as many people seem to think is the right thing to do lol.

Exactly, some people behave as tho they would like the clock turned back to the good old Bulldozer days where it was easy to argue the case for only and always Intel.

Soldato

I'd personally be annoyed that I have to own an nvidia card for performance when I have a freesync monitor. I'd take an older Intel i7 with the correct combo of monitor and gpu every time over a new CPU.

Soldato
Yeah i was on a 290, wanted more 1440p perf so went 1070 as its arguably the only 10xx series card that makes sense from a price to performance perspective, while i was waiting on Vega.. well lets just ignore that series of AMD cards, too late to the party, too heavily overpriced and clocked to their max out of the box etc. The mining boom did not help matters, the Vega cards should be £150 MSRP lower than they were tbh for the level of performance they offered.

So im holding onto this 1070 for now, will give it to the kids when i move to a new CPU / Mobo , will buy them a 24" G-Sync screen to use to go with it, that'll last them for a few years as they are 9 and 6 and think Roblox is the height of PC gaming lol.

Im debating whether to jump now on a 2700X or just ride it out on the 1700 til Zen2 next year and then just move across, by then we should have solid info on Nvidia products and maybe news on anything AMD can do to salvage their currently horrendous GPU reputation. First the Fiji debacle, then Polaris (its actually a great series for the segment it targets) and lately Vega, all have had issues of one kind or another, making AMD's last great GPU the 290/X Hawaii cards.

AMD need another set of cards like Hawaii that come to the market and offer brilliant performance to restore some faith in their ability to build a decent GPU. Oh i also forgot Intel are rumored to be showing GPU's soon as well, thats an unknown quantity, however im not holding much hope as Raja is a bell end.

So anyhow, for the people who have upgraded from Ryzen1 to Ryzen+, for those who kept the same motherboards, did you notice much uplift in performance? for those that also swapped motherboards, have you noticed much benefit in doing so?

Back
Top Bottom