Top Gun: Maverick

Man of Honour
If they want shots of Tom in a Super Hornet, then they probably strapped him into the rear seat of the F/A-18F - the 2 seat variant and pointed the cameras from alongside the topbox of the front ejection seat.

Soldato
Surprised there's no sign of a F35B considering how much they're being hammered home as the replacement for the F18's for the US Navy.

:: edit ::

Although, given what is being said from the actors in the trailer, the helmet that Maverick was wearing, I'm wondering if they're the last vanguard of old school pilots who are being phased out for F35B pilots who don't need their dogfighting skills.

Replace F-35 with drone warfare and you have the gist of the story.

Soldato
Although, given what is being said from the actors in the trailer, the helmet that Maverick was wearing, I'm wondering if they're the last vanguard of old school pilots who are being phased out for F35B pilots who don't need their dogfighting skills.

The helmet & flight suit seen during his chat with Ed Harris and whilst in a "next gen" cockpit at 1min 24sec are a high altitude type, with a neck locking ring collar similar to space suits ones so I'm guessing that there will be a "Stealth" feeling to the film with humans vs drones and Maverick in either a flyable drone or a new type of fighter. However I'm curious about the last shot of an F-14 flying as I the film says all flying is "real" i.e. non-CGI and didn't think the US has any airworthy ones left

If they want shots of Tom in a Super Hornet, then they probably strapped him into the rear seat of the F/A-18F - the 2 seat variant and pointed the cameras from alongside the topbox of the front ejection seat.

This, only its the front seat he's in rather than the rear (F/A-18F's have dual controls).

Soldato
So want to see this. Went to see it a couple of times at the cinema, it was also one of the first CD's I ever heard played on a bose system at my then girlfriends parents house.

Love that soundtrack for so many reasons :D

Caporegime
This looks surprisingly awesome. It good that they made Maverick the main character, rather than try to replace him with a youngster and then have Cruise play Maverick as just some token cameo. I hope it's not a misleading trailer.

I guess it is more of a teaser... unless they're going to be super awesome and not actually make one of those modern trailers that gives away the main plot points/most of the storyline.

I'd presume he's a "Top Gun" instructor now - they seem to show a female aviator in the trailer with the call sign "Phoenix", maybe she's the other lead - also a bar scene with a bunch of young navy officers round the piano etc...

Then again he's also got that space suit thing on indicating maybe he's involved in testing/piloting some new futuristic aircraft and that comment at the end about his kind heading for extinction... so presumably some conflict with Navy top brass having a preference for drones etc...

Associate

The helmet & flight suit seen during his chat with Ed Harris and whilst in a "next gen" cockpit at 1min 24sec are a high altitude type, with a neck locking ring collar similar to space suits ones so I'm guessing that there will be a "Stealth" feeling to the film with humans vs drones and Maverick in either a flyable drone or a new type of fighter.

My guess is experimental plane (to "be there in 60s" :p ;)), scramjet modified fighter or something (so Maverick can go "Going Hyper Sonic" :D).

Haven't seen a single drone that requires the operator to be suited up in a compression suit whilst sitting in their comfy chairs in front of a multi-monitor setup. :p Although if we want a villain of some kind, I can certainly see Drones as being used for them. But the Helmet and Suit is for something else entirely I believe, wouldn't make sense otherwise. :)

Soldato
Visually some of the the styling looks pretty consistent. My huge bugbear with sequels and prequels is where the visual style and cinematography just completely changes from the original.

Commissario
Crisis of consonants :D

I guess it is more of a teaser... unless they're going to be super awesome and not actually make one of those modern trailers that gives away the main plot points/most of the storyline.
I will now try not to watch any more trailers for this film for exactly this reason.

Back
Top Bottom