Top Gun: Maverick

Caporegime
I watched Top Gun on Now TV last night. I'd forgotten how cheesy and far fetched it was. Not the piloting, but the romance between Maverick and Charlie.

In their first encounter he tries to have her on the ladies toilet counter top, then within a wee she falls head over heels for him to the point she drives through red lights like a crazy woman after him to have sex. If this was made in 2019 we'd be thinking she had mental health issues and he was a predator who needs locking up.

The “love” timeline is shortened for obvious reasons but it’s pretty clear there’s chemistry the first time they meet. She even points out that pilots are transient so she doesn’t get involved with them (usually) as one of the excuses for not going any further that first night.

Also, the counter top was extremely obviously a joke/flirting between the two, and not him actually trying it on there...

Soldato
THE jacket but not THE patches. :D
there's obviously a death in it too, wondering if it'll be Kilmer.

who cares, the film will obviously be catering for all the fanboy who want to relive it and those who've not seen it (or at least not on a big screen, perhaps), it would be silly to assume there'd be no nods/homages/whatever to the original.

Soldato
And that's just the blatantly obvious stuff from the trailer.
I'm playing devil's advocate but TC probably wouldn't have much say on the trailer if any, and also any shots you see in a trailer nowadays doesn't necessarily mean it's in the movie ;)

I'd imagine it's not as nostalgiac as it appears from the trailer, and they're just intending to make a very good action movie with a nice big nod back to the original. The trailers will initially be very skewed to the nostalgia to get people interested. Afterall, what's more interesting -- a new generic action movie, or a Top Gun sequel? :)

Associate
Couple things I noticed in the trailer:

At 1:17, the emblem in the wood looks like the insignia from the 412th Test Wing at Edwards AFB, which is part of the U.S. Air Force (Not Navy).
gQ3meNW.jpg
110324-F-JZ505-009.JPG

The text below it seems to read:
-------- "Maverick" Mitchell
-------
TEST PILOT
--- --- Wing Captain
--
The dashes are too blurry to read.

Does this mean Maverick is a test pilot for the Air Force too?

At 1:26, all aircraft seem to be Super Hornets: F/A-18E (single seat) or F/A-18F (twin seat), except for the two on the left with the red tails. They seem to be F/A-18C Hornet (single seat). The red tails makes me think these are VMFA-232 aircraft, which is a Marine Corps squadron. Also, their modex (the number on the nose and tail) do not seem to match. This might be an error. The U.S. Navy does not use legacy Hornets anymore (except for some Aggressor and Test squadrons).

Final thing I noticed is the F/A-18F with modex 409 (at 1:26 on the left). The U.S. Navy usually does not use the numbers 8 and 9 in a modex. This is because in the past the computer systems used were octal (base-8). Nowadays the 8 and 9 are still usually skipped.

Last edited:
Soldato
Silhouetted aircraft lift.
Standing on deck and staring off into the distant sea.
Inaccurate 'thumbs-up and salute' ready-to-launch catapult signal.
Bike ride alongside the runway.
Bare-chested beach sports.
Guy with silly tour 'tache and Hawaiian shirt playing piano in a bar.
THE jacket.
THE motorcycle.

And that's just the blatantly obvious stuff from the trailer.

Some of the stuff in that trailer is actually from the first film. Flashback scenes?

Associate
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Hope they really do it justice after all this time and don't just make a 2019 reboot.

BTW - Some of you may not have heard of this 2005 French "Top Gun" film called Sky Fighters or the original title Les Chevaliers Du Ciel. Its only available subtitled but the flying and visuals are excellent and the film itself isn't too bad either. I highly recommend it if you can find it anywhere. It was available on Bluray.

Soldato
i wasn't that bothered about this but as its real planes and not cgi i actually want to see this.

i saw the original when it came out and mostly i was transfixed by toms teeth.

Back
Top Bottom