Top Gun: Maverick

Caporegime
Couple things I noticed in the trailer:

At 1:17, the emblem in the wood looks like the insignia from the 412th Test Wing at Edwards AFB, which is part of the U.S. Air Force (Not Navy).

Well the word you can see there on the wood is "group" not "wing"

Does this mean Maverick is a test pilot for the Air Force too?

He's still a US Navy officer - see the scene with his former boss, now a rear admiral telling him that he should have made that rank by now yet he's still a captain.

Caporegime
It will be nostalgia gash, but cash in on 40 year olds like us. Pretty much looks like A remake from that trailer...

I recently saw top gun at the cinema and yeah it was cool in a laughing how bad it is way :p
Its hard to take it serious after films like Hotshots, one of my favourite dumbass comedies.

Also F-14 at end? I assume hes going to "kill" his 3 trainees in that to prove hes so skilled even in an outdated plane blah blah....

i guess we are gonna suffer from a slew of 80s remakes now as 80s is the new 90s....

Last edited:
Associate
It will be nostalgia gash, but cash in on 40 year olds like us. Pretty much looks like A remake from that trailer...

I recently saw top gun at the cinema and yeah it was cool in a laughing how bad it is way :p
Its hard to take it serious after films like Hotshots, one of my favourite dumbass comedies.

Also F-14 at end? I assume hes going to "kill" his 3 trainees in that to prove hes so skilled even in an outdated plane blah blah....

i guess we are gonna suffer from a slew of 80s remakes now as 80s is the new 90s....

Who let Scrooge in here?!?! Don't ruin this for us, it's gonna be awesome - even if it's crap!

Soldato
Thought the ITV program

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/fighter-pilot-the-real-top-gun-itv-series-when-time-tonight-episodes/

was good, accompanying new pilots in their first fast jet, many cabin, looking out shots in Wales, some pilots playing up to the film meme;
commentator voice lets it down a bit ... does everything need the air of a reality tv show.

Associate
Thought the ITV program

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/fighter-pilot-the-real-top-gun-itv-series-when-time-tonight-episodes/

was good, accompanying new pilots in their first fast jet, many cabin, looking out shots in Wales, some pilots playing up to the film meme;
commentator voice lets it down a bit ... does everything need the air of a reality tv show.

I enjoyed watching that. Highlight was seeing the VTOL capabilities.....modern Harrier.

Soldato
I enjoyed watching that. Highlight was seeing the VTOL capabilities.....modern Harrier.

It's also got all the problems of a Harrier too, with less range & less weapon carriage vs the non-STOVL version, due to having to fit another engine into the airframe. The main positive of the Harrier was that we used tiny Carriers so the HArrier was the only thing we could use. Well the 2 new CV's are huge and we could have taken the F-35C "Navy" version with more range and weapons but the mindset of "but we liked the Harrier" overtook common sense so we're left with a less capable aircraft for no good reason that I can see.

I worked on Harrier GR7's for 5 years, including on Ops in Kosovo/Bosnia, so I have a real soft spot of them, but they were rightly consigned to the scrap heap as their only positive point (VSTOL) was out-weighed by the large amount of negatives.

Associate
It's also got all the problems of a Harrier too, with less range & less weapon carriage vs the non-STOVL version, due to having to fit another engine into the airframe. The main positive of the Harrier was that we used tiny Carriers so the HArrier was the only thing we could use. Well the 2 new CV's are huge and we could have taken the F-35C "Navy" version with more range and weapons but the mindset of "but we liked the Harrier" overtook common sense so we're left with a less capable aircraft for no good reason that I can see.

I worked on Harrier GR7's for 5 years, including on Ops in Kosovo/Bosnia, so I have a real soft spot of them, but they were rightly consigned to the scrap heap as their only positive point (VSTOL) was out-weighed by the large amount of negatives.

Interesting to know. I took a look at the specs for the different versions and was surprised that the F-35A (non VTOL) is the only one that has a internal cannon. But yeah it does sound like the F-35C would have been a better choice.

So having the VTOL jet makes no difference tactically while flying ? I always assumed you could perform different/more complicated maneuvers in the air with them. Looks like it was called VIFF (Vectoring in Forward Flight) with Harriers.

Ahh seems like the design of the F-35B prevents it from doing VIFF :(

Last edited:
Soldato
So having the VTOL jet makes no difference tactically while flying ? I always assumed you could perform different/more complicated maneuvers in the air with them. Looks like it was called VIFF (Vectoring in Forward Flight) with Harriers

Generally VSTOL makes no difference for everyday flying. VIFF'ing however was a better version of "hit the brakes and he'll fly right by" but tactically it was a last gasp throw as you were left with very little airspeed speed and fairly poor acceleration to get back up to "max instantaneous turn rate" speed (best dogfighting speed) so you'd be dead very shortly afterwards unless you were lucky as the much faster enemy would be able to use his speed to turn back into you.

However, the moveable nozzles had a massive benefit if you were in a low speed turning dogfight as the exhaust could be angled to still give authority to the tailplane at low speeds, so you could keep turning whilst an opponent would have to pull off to avoid stalling (IIRC you could still fly at almost 90kts which is well below the 130-ish kts stall speed of other jets).

Soldato
So he's found a way to get a film company to pay for some upkeep on his P-51 Mustang.

Good scam. :D

Was going to say the same. That's definitely his P-51K, but I don't know if it's the angle and the reflection or not but it looks as if the 'Kiss Me Kate' name has been removed for the movie publicity.

Back
Top Bottom