Total War: Warhammer 2

Soldato
Looking forward to hearing how you get on? I'm planning an upgrade when the 3000 series ryzen come out

Finally got round to this:

Methodology - Running off a SSD. Late game where I have visibility of the whole map, ended turn and hit FFW to speed up the turn. Everything was perfectly smooth for the second or two until until I hit FFW.

CPU usage: limited to a single core being pinned, while the rest sit around doing nowt. No noticeable change in performance to my overclocked 3770k. I didn't bother showing all 16 threads because it tells the same story.

Zu5HPij.png

FPS/Frametimes/GPU usage tells the same story. CPU thread 7 is the one holding us up as all the AI runs through that one core, and the frametimes and GPU usage tell a tale of CPU bottleneck.

qJqEHqG.png

In theory, if the rumours are true, Ryzen 3000 will offer better single threaded performance so you'd see an improvement, but mostly this game just wants IPC/clockspeed so all those extra cores go to waste. Different story entirely on BF5, so horses for courses and all that.

Associate
Rome Total War (original) was the best imo and a mod was made to vastly improve on the original game, with the end result being "Rome Total Realism" or RTR and I suggest to those who want a good strategy game, to
please take a look at this site: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?26-Rome-Total-Realism-(RTR) .. worth at least 5 minutes of your time to look through the site.

Note: mods created for other Total War games too.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree that the original Rome was the best Total War (random distant memory, wasn't here a TV show based on that game?!) I've not tried RTR so may go back and give it a go if it still runs on modern PCs.

Got the first Total War Warhammer and enjoyed it but not bought any of the DLC's or the sequel, to me it doesn't seem like any of them bring anything that new or interesting to the game.

Associate
I agree that the original Rome was the best Total War (random distant memory, wasn't here a TV show based on that game?!) I've not tried RTR so may go back and give it a go if it still runs on modern PCs.

Got the first Total War Warhammer and enjoyed it but not bought any of the DLC's or the sequel, to me it doesn't seem like any of them bring anything that new or interesting to the game.

It runs just fine on modern pc's and .. well just easier to look through the forums as there is a lot there that should keep you interested in what they have been up to (the mod for RTR has been updated every so often as well).

Soldato
Just started playing this over the last week and am enjoying it. As my first Total War game ever I can't compare it to the older games but it is enjoyable overall even though I am still trying to get to grips with some of the mechanics.

I really don't like the heroes and their mechanics though, they are nothing but a major pain in the butt.

Soldato
(random distant memory, wasn't here a TV show based on that game?!)

Yep, Time Commanders, the second series is more famous than the first as it was presented by Richard Hammond, the experts were the inimitable Mike Loades and Aryeh Nusbacher. Aryeh Nusbacher is now Lynette Nusbacher and she was again with Mike and new presenter Greg Wallace for a mini reboot in 2016.

I find the Warhammer Total Wars a little to "lowest common denominator" but that's probably just as much my Anti Games Workshop bias (hideous company :mad:). I definitely think the original Rome was the perfect sweet spot and I also love Attila because trying to play the Western Roman Empire and making some tough decisions on which provinces you have to lose for long term gain is challenging and satisfying if you manage it.

Associate
Yep, Time Commanders, the second series is more famous than the first as it was presented by Richard Hammond, the experts were the inimitable Mike Loades and Aryeh Nusbacher. Aryeh Nusbacher is now Lynette Nusbacher and she was again with Mike and new presenter Greg Wallace for a mini reboot in 2016.

That was it, at the time I remember seeing the quality of the graphics and thinking it was amazing, I think that was a big reason for me buying RTW!

I really don't like the heroes and their mechanics though, they are nothing but a major pain in the butt.

I wasn't a fan of this either but guess they needed it to be more Warhammery. Also didn't like the magic much, I never found it made much difference. The huge dragons, trolls etc were awesome though.

Associate
love the new content, but I don't think ill be back playing until a new AI mod comes out

ever since advanced AI was shelved I just cannot deal with the default AI - Karl franz and his 19 halberds for example.....

Soldato
It's also broken loads of mods.

The new Skaven under-empire feature is fun though. I decimated Naggaroth last night. They were the #1 power, and would have flattened Clan Rictus in a conventional war. But there's not a lot they can do against a bunch of half-stack armies suddenly appearing outside their undefended cities in the heart of their empire :D They lost about a third of their land across four turns. Just got to work out how to deal with the inevitable counter attack now :eek:

Soldato
Rome Total War (original) was the best imo and a mod was made to vastly improve on the original game, with the end result being "Rome Total Realism" or RTR and I suggest to those who want a good strategy game, to
please take a look at this site: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?26-Rome-Total-Realism-(RTR) .. worth at least 5 minutes of your time to look through the site.

Note: mods created for other Total War games too.

RTR was great and so was RTR extended realism, I think it was called. They no longer work for me though, always crashes on entering the game after selecting a faction to play.

Caporegime
Love the new Skaven units.
Rattling gunners are fun to watch.

I need to fire this up today to see the changes, looking forward to starting a Skaven campaign finally!

It's also broken loads of mods.

The new Skaven under-empire feature is fun though. I decimated Naggaroth last night. They were the #1 power, and would have flattened Clan Rictus in a conventional war. But there's not a lot they can do against a bunch of half-stack armies suddenly appearing outside their undefended cities in the heart of their empire :D They lost about a third of their land across four turns. Just got to work out how to deal with the inevitable counter attack now :eek:
Of course it has broken mods, all significant updates to the game break major mods that is self-explanatory as they have to be updated to take into account the latest changes to the tables etc that they use. :)

Soldato
Of course it has broken mods, all significant updates to the game break major mods that is self-explanatory as they have to be updated to take into account the latest changes to the tables etc that they use. :)

It broke more than normal.

Turns out it's because the update broke some stuff in the launcher/assembly kit. There's a fix coming next week. Good news, as some of the game's most popular small tweaks don't have active developers.

Back
Top Bottom