Tower block fire - london

Cladding is the same, insulation was different (it was completed in 2000)

As for cladding, social housing is required to constantly chase the latest building regulations for insulation etc, hence the use of external insulation and cladding.

Are you suggesting the insulation isn't part of the cladding?
i think you'll find it hard to compare as it would be

Actually its more like
Half the country: tax payers money was spent cladding tower blocks, decision makers, justify your choice in relation to energy efficiency
Decision makers: silence

It's a matter of perception and seeing what you want to see / hearing what you want to hear much of the time.

To my London ears, many of those interviewed in the aftermath sounded like ordinary Londoners. For the most part good English spoken. For the most part London accents present, either partially or completely. Yes there were newer non-EU immigrants and EU immigrants too. But lots of regular London folk who have likely lived in the capital most, or indeed all, of their lives. So this 'packed full of illegal immigrants' thing is a falsehood. It's of course likely there were some, but those people trying to make out it was a majority are pushing a pretty unpleasant agenda.
Second time someone has posted this in this thread. Where are you both getting this? Do you have a source?

It stands to reason. Some people that lived there were on the news and they had funny accents and didn't look like us proper white English folk, therefore it was packed full of illegal immigrants. QED.

Either that or the comments section of the Mail online...

:rolleyes:

https://www.ft.com/content/1b3e3718-573f-11e7-9fed-c19e2700005f

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.st...d-in-grenfell-tower-at-time-a3570446.html?amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ed-to-seek-help-because-of-immigration-status

Grenfell Tower survivors 'too scared to seek help' because of immigration status

Are you suggesting the insulation isn't part of the cladding?

]

they are seperate it seems.

from some of the news artricles it seems to be

<cladding> <insulatyion> <airgap> <building> as the layering. with the cladding also being "insulation" but not the main property of it. but the firet turned it into some horrific chimney system that also produced cyanide gas from the PIR insulation.

Actually its more like
Half the country: tax payers money was spent cladding tower blocks, decision makers, justify your choice in relation to energy efficiency
Decision makers: silence

true but if youve ever delt with local councils its a guy who generally wants to "help" but is woefully uninformed so a decent sales pitch about how great this insulation is and how it will save the poor families ionside X will just convince him. esp[ecially when they can say "oh Camden council etc already use this in 10 buildings etc"

this should have been picked up by some stage of regulation checks though.

i just cant belive regs say X product cannot be installed above 18 meters and then it happening.

but i sup[pose its buried in regs and the pay of a local council building inspector etc is low enough to not get that level of dedication.

but i sup[pose its buried in regs and the pay of a local council building inspector etc is low enough to not get that level of dedication.

The council should have had its own Clerk Of Works managing the construction. It would have been the Clerk Of Works responsibility to make shure the work was carried out correctly and using the specified materials. Obviously questions need to asked of the individual responsible.

The council should have had its own Clerk Of Works managing the construction. It would have been the Clerk Of Works responsibility to make shure the work was carried out correctly and using the specified materials. Obviously questions need to asked of the individual responsible.

indeed. i do wonder what the scope of regulations are though and if that i a reasonable level of responsibility to place on a singular individual and at the pay/standard grade.

To be fair, the white people had pretty funny accents to me as well :p

I also noticed that 'illegal sub-letting' was being talked about which because it had the word illegal in it immediately seemed to morph into 'illegal immigrant',by some people

When Theresa May makes this a part of her speech to parliament you can be sure the place was home to illegal aliens. Or "irregular immigrants" as those that oppose border controls like to call them.

In her Commons statement, Theresa May made it clear that no immigration checks would be carried out on survivors or relatives of the dead. “We will not use this tragic incident as a reason to carry out immigration checks on those involved,” the prime minister said. “We will make sure that all victims, irrespective of their immigration status, will be able to access the services they need, including healthcare and accommodation.”

The woman's weak.

When Theresa May makes this a part of her speech to parliament you can be sure the place was home to illegal aliens. Or "irregular immigrants" as those that oppose border controls like to call them.

In her Commons statement, Theresa May made it clear that no immigration checks would be carried out on survivors or relatives of the dead. “We will not use this tragic incident as a reason to carry out immigration checks on those involved,” the prime minister said. “We will make sure that all victims, irrespective of their immigration status, will be able to access the services they need, including healthcare and accommodation.”

The woman's weak.

I've never heard the phrase "irregular immigrants" used, but regardless I am grateful the people in charge still have some vestige of humanity unlike yourself. Using this as an opportunity to round up and deport people would be deplorable. It's unfortunate your politics is totally bereft of both compassion and common sense but I don't think too many people take you seriously.

I've never heard the phrase "irregular immigrants" used, but regardless I am grateful the people in charge still have some vestige of humanity unlike yourself. Using this as an opportunity to round up and deport people would be deplorable. It's unfortunate your politics is totally bereft of both compassion and common sense but I don't think too many people take you seriously.

how far do you take that though?
how long does this last for?

are they granted full citizen ship or in 1 years time will they apply for some benefit and be deported when they flag up an imigration check?

The council should have had its own Clerk Of Works managing the construction. It would have been the Clerk Of Works' responsibility to make sure the work was carried out correctly and using the specified materials. Obviously questions need to asked of the individual responsible.

indeed. I do wonder what the scope of regulations are though and if that is a reasonable level of responsibility to place on a singular individual and at the pay/standard grade.

This is my view too. Apparently the cladding manufactured by Celotex comes in various different fire-ratings, but all of their products are rarely differentiated and often all just called "Celotex". Again, apparently, all those products also look identical.

Applying Hamlon's Razor, I can well imagine that the contractor selected to do the works (usual the lowest tender bidder) did not appreciate that there were grades, and simply ordered and installed "Celotex".

This is my view too. Apparently the cladding manufactured by Celotex comes in various different fire-ratings, but all of their products are rarely differentiated and often all just called "Celotex". Again, apparently, all those products also look identical.

Applying Hamlon's Razor, I can well imagine that the contractor selected to do the works (usual the lowest tender bidder) did not appreciate that there were grades, and simply ordered and installed "Celotex".

aye i can see this as a chain of mistakes as opposed to any venomous price chasing.

but it seems they got the regs completely wrong?

i just dont see how something goes through the whole process with no body noticing "not over 18 meters"?
Probably the same way news outlets, politicians and forum users were all claiming it complied with the regs after it happened. Some of the latter even flaming me for pointing out otherwise and misquoting cladding datasheets as proof of compliance.

In fairness it's easy to see how the mistake could be made (especially as some forums members were still making it a week after the fact), the data sheet for the cladding does say that it has an exceptional fire safety rating under British standards, it's down to the reader to realise this is for the aluminium side and there's no actual data provided for the flammable insulation on the other side (the side the fire came from).

Just heard on the news this morning that it's not quite "60 tower blocks tested have found to be using dangerous cladding... " so much as

'ALL 60 tower blocks we've tested so far have dangerous cladding'

That's quite a difference, can't say I'd be happy right now if I lived in a tower block!

Probably the same way news outlets, politicians and forum users were all claiming it complied with the regs after it happened. Some of the latter even flaming me for pointing out otherwise and misquoting cladding datasheets as proof of compliance.

In fairness it's easy to see how the mistake could be made (especially as some forums members were still making it a week after the fact), the data sheet for the cladding does say that it has an exceptional fire safety rating under British standards, it's down to the reader to realise this is for the aluminium side and there's no actual data provided for the flammable insulation on the other side (the side the fire came from).

#
interesting so is this going to come down to an advertising standards iussue?

Just heard on the news this morning that it's not quite "60 tower blocks tested have found to be using dangerous cladding... " so much as

'ALL 60 tower blocks we've tested so far have dangerous cladding'

That's quite a difference, can't say I'd be happy right now if I lived in a tower block!

Oh yea, it's a 100% failure rate so far...

The woman's weak.

Classy as ever Chris

None of that says the tower was "full of illegal immigrants" as has been posted

if you know London you'll kniw that illegals are a part and parcel of daily life.

most Londoners i know have illegals as their cleaners etc

they will make up a ,ot of the sub letters.

much like when that 747 crashed in to the Amsterdam apartment complex they had a nightmare working out death toll as nearly everyone was unregistered.

#
interesting so is this going to come down to an advertising standards iussue?

To be perfectly honest, while it's fully possible this was caused by some greedy so and so trying to cut costs it's also just as likely it was an accidental chain of unfortunate events.

What I mean is, it's possible that the company hired to install the cladding cut corners and used the cheapo stuff knowing it didn't conform to regs, but it's also just as possible that they looked at the regs, saw the requirement for cladding to be of limited combustibility, then looked at the data sheet for the cheap cladding, saw a great fire standards result and went with that. In that case while that person is to blame as they made the decision, it's not entirely their fault as it was an honest mistake.

In the case of the advertising, it's not required for a manufacturer to list all the standards a product fails to meet, just the ones it does.

Back
Top Bottom