Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

There aren't any good websites, most of them are AI generated drivel or sales funnels.

I think you may have misunderstood I meant websites for opening a trading account. I've only looked briefly into things and I see that td Waterhouse who I used previously was taken over by ii.co.uk interactive investor, but I keep seeing places like etoro and trading212 which if probably shy away from as I'm not keen on an app only platform.

Edit

I'm not going to be investing big to begin with so I guess fees per trade and monthly fees probably need to be fairly low if I'm not going to be doing big investments to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
I think you may have misunderstood I meant websites for opening a trading account. I've only looked briefly into things and I see that td Waterhouse who I used previously was taken over by ii.co.uk interactive investor, but I keep seeing places like etoro and trading212 which if probably shy away from as I'm not keen on an app only platform.

Edit

I'm not going to be investing big to begin with so I guess fees per trade and monthly fees probably need to be fairly low if I'm not going to be doing big investments to make it worthwhile.
Trading 212 isn't app-only, the web interface is pretty good. They are 'no fees', monthly or on trades, but obviously taking their cut on the spread.

I think for small amounts these platforms are probably hard to beat.

I'm not in the position to invest just yet but I'm taking a look into companies that pay out in dividends e.g BP, Legal and General, GlaxoSmithKline etc as well as where's best to open up an account.

Is there a site that people lean towards at all?

Have a look at Hargreaves Lansdown:

They have a decent reputation, but DYOR.

Have a look at Hargreaves Lansdown:

They have a decent reputation, but DYOR.

Oddly enough I've got them bookmarked already as I was looking at them earlier on along with vanguard for savings / bond stuff. That and I keep seeing adverts for them on TV. As above I only started having a look around last night so any companies I've mentioned were at a glance and I'll be doing more research in the coming days and weeks.

Don't go with HL> Look at the fee structure. Over time they will seriously erode your gains. Just stick with vanguard if you want a reliable name, once your pot gets large enough (about over £80k) switching to ii makes sense. Sure you can trade free on platforms like t212 but you'll probably just end up investing in rubbish and making rash trades on a down day.

Last edited:
Don't go with HL> Look at the fee structure. Over time they will seriously erode your gains. Just stick with vanguard if you want a reliable name, once your pot gets large enough (about over £80k) switching to ii makes sense. Sure you can trade free on platforms like t212 but you'll probably just end up investing in rubbish and making rash trades on a down day.

H&L fees are not that high if you trade infrequently and hold shares/ETF's and not funds.

So within an ISA you'd reach a cap of £45/ year very quickly, for a non-ISA its £0.

After that its £12 per trade, so its very comparable to II, depending on what you plan to buy.

So to me, the choice between H&L and II would be the interface itself.

Edit: I should add to this that the average investor trades too much in the first place, so while it might be cheaper to buy VWRL on H&L, for a new person vanguard is the better idea by far.

What i would tell myself is, to go on H&L/II, purchase VUSA or VWRL, buy it every 3 months for 5 years, while spending 5 years researching stuff and making watchlists/fake portfolios.

Last edited:
I'm looking to dip my toe back into my previous (failed) attempt of investing in some stocks and shares. I'd previously used TD Waterhouse but it looks like they've ditched that name and is now using TD Direct Investing and the UK segment was taken over in 2016.

I'm not in the position to invest just yet but I'm taking a look into companies that pay out in dividends e.g BP, Legal and General, GlaxoSmithKline etc as well as where's best to open up an account.

Is there a site that people lean towards at all?

Use https://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/ or https://www.comparefundplatforms.com/ to compare what the fees would be.

As regards fees on my vwrl and VUKE on vanguard >60k <80k I pay twenty something quid a quarter,don't really need to fund it through a bank account as there's always some left over from dividend funded transactions as you can only buy whole shares with my etfs (if you have £100 and shares £40 you get £20 change)

As regards fees on my vwrl and VUKE on vanguard >60k <80k I pay twenty something quid a quarter,don't really need to fund it through a bank account as there's always some left over from dividend funded transactions as you can only buy whole shares with my etfs (if you have £100 and shares £40 you get £20 change)

Is there a benefit of going for vwrl or vuke over the vanguard lifestyle? I’ve currently got vanguard 80 in an isa and max out the £20k allowance each year. The plan is to invest it for the next 20 years but not looked at either of the 2 you mention.

Is there a benefit of going for vwrl or vuke over the vanguard lifestyle? I’ve currently got vanguard 80 in an isa and max out the £20k allowance each year. The plan is to invest it for the next 20 years but not looked at either of the 2 you mention.
Life strategy is heavily weighted to the UK, Fine if you are ok with that.

yes ls80 is 20% uk weighted but unlike vuke it goes beyond the ftse 100 and has 575 uk stocks SO your getting smaller companys ? ,also its 20% bonds
I actually wanted more uk bias ,loads of times the uk market would do great and my ls40 would tank (although this was more the bonds)
So having a world etf and a ftse etf i can tweek my uk exposure last year i went to 53% uk exposure, that worked ok.
but also i am not an expert but i like being able to watch my live investments on the lse and be able to live trade (£7.50 a trade with vanguard) with llifestrategy the prices are set about 9pm and you have to place an order for a bulk buy slot the next day
Also vwrl is funded in dollars so when the us interest rates are set to go up or do go up the dollar strengthens and shores up the fund, having said that ive been dissapointed by its performance

VWRL has done very well over the longer term, certainly better than VUKE or Lifestrategy 80 over 5 and 10 years. With VWRL dollar strength sheilded holders from most of the falls in US markets recently, now dollar weakness could be a headwind if the market rallies.

Over 10 years, total return with divvies reinvested

VWRL - 224%
LS 80 - 150%
VUKE - 104%

Over 1 year VUKE is ahead, over 3 years VUKE and VWRL are level.

I guess with VUKE you have to hope this is the decade of banks and financials and oilers.

VWRL has done very well over the longer term, certainly better than VUKE or Lifestrategy 80 over 5 and 10 years. With VWRL dollar strength sheilded holders from most of the falls in US markets recently, now dollar weakness could be a headwind if the market rallies.

Over 10 years, total return with divvies reinvested

VWRL - 224%
LS 80 - 150%
VUKE - 104%

Over 1 year VUKE is ahead, over 3 years VUKE and VWRL are level.

I guess with VUKE you have to hope this is the decade of banks and financials and oilers.

Where do you get the figures for dividends re-invested

Where do you get the figures for dividends re-invested
Trustnet. In the multi plot chart click chart basis and you can select with or without reinvestment. But actually I see now those figures above are from 'start of data' rather than 10 years but the chart only goes to 10 years. Annoyingly I cant see at what point the data starts but the 10 year return speaks for itself. However the charting is really good to see what has been happening.

With reinvestment.
rJ8M3xZ.png

Without reinvestment
XGeQRmB.png

The LS 80 was accumulation hence its the same on both.

I was wondering if there any recommendations for IWeb?

It's from Lloyds/Halifax Share Dealing, there is no annual account charge, one off opening charge which you can currently offset with the cashback offer and UK trading & funds are £5 per trade.

Would work out much cheaper than what HL are charging me.

Back
Top Bottom