Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Glad it's not just me.

Have sold my BP. That covered about £2500 and then the other £12k i've used a money transfer from my CC. 0% interest until July 2024 when it'll be paid off anyway. Only a 2.5% fee, so £300 penalty and i can live with that for the potential upside on the markets. Also much lower repayments vs a 3yr loan helping monthly cashflow.

The sale of my UK car will pretty much clear off the balance when we move over.

My answer to your original question goes heavily towards selling everything you need to buy said car once i get a good picture about the stocks that make up that 15k portfolio.

Out of which i think BP is probably the only good company.

What would people here do? The mega safe option is to just withdraw all the investments and use that for a car. However, i believe there's an opportunity cost there and would hope my investments return more than the interest payable, although obviously it's a risk as we all know anything could happen in the next 12-15 months!

If you fancy the gamble, you needn't be all in. Withdraw part and use a loan for the remainder?

Personally if I had a one year timeframe I would take the 15k out of the stock market and put it into a one year bond paying a guaranteed 4% or so.

1 year fixed savings rates are about 4.5% at the moment.

Spread some or all of the cost of the car on the a interest free credit card and I'm sure there's a net gain in there somewhere.

Anyone else in kodal/prem?
I took out a holding in prem a few months ago and it's now up 70pc.
At this rate it will be my 3rd biggest holding.

Not sure if it's too late to get in now. But the hype train is in full roll.

In fact over the last 12 months my entire portfolio is up 25pc which I'm pleased with.

I'm very tempted to increase my house builder holding. I'm firm in the view that rates are about to peak. And the lows we have had are now the bottom of the market
I put a small amount from my trading account into Kodal a few months ago. I've doubled my money but it was only £400 to begin with so only offsets my loss on something else. I think I'll cash out and look for another unicorn!

I put a small amount from my trading account into Kodal a few months ago. I've doubled my money but it was only £400 to begin with so only offsets my loss on something else. I think I'll cash out and look for another unicorn!
Its really hard to commit a lot to these unicorns. You never really know. Its quite close to gambling really.
Kodal has done very well last few days.

FCA announces plan to deliver significant redress to Woodford investors

Although the redress offered in the proposed Scheme will not provide fund investors with the full redress amount of £298 million, the FCA considers it is in the interests of the investors to be given the opportunity to consider the Scheme. If the proposed redress amount of £235 million is paid in full then investors will have recovered approximately 77p in the pound. There has already been a total of £2.56bn paid to investors since the suspension of the Fund from the distribution of proceeds from the sale of investments.

There are other parties under investigation in relation to the circumstances that led to the suspension of the LF Woodford Equity Income Fund. These investigations continue and they will consider any further failings which may have negatively impacted investors.

Better than nothing, wonder who else is the FCA investigating?

FCA announces plan to deliver significant redress to Woodford investors

Better than nothing, wonder who else is the FCA investigating?
Wouldn't surprise me if they were looking at the likes of HL, who were heavily pushing Woodford IIRC.

Doesn't matter if they do well or horribly, the question is about bad liquidity meaning when people sell, the fund cannot simply sell shares to pay for redemptions.

SMT has around 27.5% give or take in private equity, including spaceX for example.

No idea how high it was in Woodford.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were looking at the likes of HL, who were heavily pushing Woodford IIRC.

Pretty sure I was in a Woodford manage fund at some point via HL that went to ****. I closed that account some years ago though. I'm guessing they aren't obliged to contact me and offer a form for me to fill in if entitled to some compensation.

EDIT: on further inspection it might not have been the WEIF but another one that was sold off during the trouble.

Last edited:
Logged into my investment account for the first time in months. Nice surprise seeing the jump. Just been hearing the usual goat bleating of doom and gloom, but the market appears to be doing fine (so far)

No idea how high it was in Woodford.

The Woodford funds were bad from the off. He was given too much freedom and was assumed to be some kind of investing guru having done so well with the High Income Fund he ran at Invesco/Perpetual.

I never understood why money was poured into the funds. I read that Woodford actually bet on Brexit being a smooth transition and "good" for the UK. I believe the end came with Kent County Council decided to pull £650m and there wasn't enough money in the pot to pay out so the fund siezed up.

It's happened before when a star fund manager does something different to what made them a star in the first place and fall on their face. I have never chased a fund manager but have known many advisers/investors that have and it usually ends in tears.

I know of someone who had an excellent low to mid risk portfolio. Made 5% per year over 5 years net of costs and decided they could do it themselves and didn't want to pay for ongoing fund advice. They went to HL just as they were shilling the Woodford funds. I would love to know how much they lost.

Back
Top Bottom