Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Complete man logic here, but given i sold my BP shares to part fund the new car, they've dropped around 12%. In theory that's £400 saved from the drop.

Covers the loan interest from the other borrowing :D
If this was true man logic, you'd have allocated that £400 'saved' to some treat or other :D

Kinda umming and washing about where to put money this month. Put enough into the EV manufacturers in this dip.

Kinda thinking MSFT is going to be a good hold long term with their positioning on AI, but buying near ATH puts me off.

I am currently using Trading 212, I intend on just investing in ETF's (S&P500 mainly) and keeping it in there long term. Is there a better/safer platform to be using?

I am currently using Trading 212, I intend on just investing in ETF's (S&P500 mainly) and keeping it in there long term. Is there a better/safer platform to be using?

I would say its fine in T212. I would consider diversifying if/when you reach the financial services protection limit (c. £85,000 I think).

I would say its fine in T212. I would consider diversifying if/when you reach the financial services protection limit (c. £85,000 I think).
How would I diversify, use a different platform?

I am using the ISA with the 20k limit, would I be right in saying I can have more than 1 stocks and shares ISA but I can only top up 1 of them each financial year?

How would I diversify, use a different platform?

I am using the ISA with the 20k limit, would I be right in saying I can have more than 1 stocks and shares ISA but I can only top up 1 of them each financial year?

You can only open 1 new S&S ISA per year, you can top up as many as you want as long as you're below the £20k annual deposit limit across all accounts.

Opps, I was wrong. You can contribute to different types of ISA each year to the £20k limit, but only into one S&S ISA in a year.

Last edited:
I don’t think it matters. If you had 100k on T212 and they went bust as long as the money is invested in shares and not held in cash you wouldn‘t loose anything as you would still own the shares? You are only using them as a broker. I may be complete wrong though.

The shares arent assets on their balance sheet so yea I believe its separated legally. Unit trust, funds, ETF are all protected from bankruptcy, ETN are not its a debt or promissory. Even a position on a spreadbet has some protection via the regulator, including the cash. CFD I forget but best to check it all anyway

If you don't have a sipps or an isa, you will now pay more in taxes, CGT/div allowance being cut.

Then again, I expect something negative to happen in the future with isa and sipps.
The government seems to be funneling everyone towards those products.

Why would anyone want to invest in the UK?

If you don't have a sipps or an isa, you will now pay more in taxes, CGT/div allowance being cut.

Then again, I expect something negative to happen in the future with isa and sipps.
The government seems to be funneling everyone towards those products.

Capital Gains applies to investments outside of the UK too.

I dont handle ARK personally but tech is a big deal for any USA market anyhow so I figure its relevant. This isnt an investor its closer to a day trader but he is good on looking at multiple time frames so I always find his take to be useful.

ARM wont be coming here, maybe some side listing for them ? I guess they cant be on FT100 if its not their main listing. TSM is I think maybe the best one to own anyway

Stability I think must be why. Theres tons more growth elsewhere but also more risk. UK can also serve those other areas, we do export too hopefully

Gov goes broke and forces all funds to buy its debt would be the nuclear scenario (also very destructive). A bit extreme so hope not, look at what happened in Cyprus if you believe it possibly might happen everywhere. Everyone in uk does pay tax on buying things also so allowing people to save is not some great gift imo

This seems as good a place as any...
Looks like Vanguard are finally going 2FA, just logged in to see this message:

'For extra security, we're going to start sending you verification codes by text message when you log in. Please check that your mobile number and other contact details are up to date.'

'For extra security, we're going to start sending you verification codes by text message when you log in. Please check that your mobile number and other contact details are up to date.'
Already a thing with ii but you can log in with fingerprint on the app which is great.

Man that’s annoying. I help monitor my mother in laws investments so have it set to my phone number but would mean she can’t check anymore!

Don’t know why they can’t just have an app like normal people!

Back
Top Bottom